All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Donald Booker, ILB, Oklahoma State
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:27 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Donald Booker
5-11/236
Oklahoma State Senior

Pros: Strong player with good pop as a tackler. Has good speed with good closing burst and can make plays in pursuit. Can make the stop in the open field and is comfortable working in space. Flashes upfield burst to be able to make plays as a blitzer.

Cons: Doesn't show great instincts or recognition, and tends to be a step late reacting to the play. Gets caught up in the trash and doesn't get off blocks well. Not as effective when you run at him. Needs to take better angles in space and get better depth on his zone drops.

Overview: His speed often allows him to make up for mistakes and questionable instincts. He doesn't have great speed and range, but it's good enough. He was an injury replacement this year, and managed to lead the team in tackles with 99, also adding 5 sacks and 8 tackles for loss. He is a former JUCO player.

NFL Forecast: He's not the biggest guy, but has all of the tools to compete at the NFL level. I just don't think he has great awareness or instincts to play in the middle at the next level. And that could be because of lack of experience. He might wind up being a late bloomer and because of his size and speed, one mgiht be able to compare him to London Fletcher in that way. I think he'd make a better option on the weakside than middle in most schemes, but more than likely he'll be a career backup. I think he can be a good backup, but not sure he's the type of player that teams would build around as a starter. If he can impact early on special teams, he has a chance of sticking. But if not, then I'm not sure there is much reason to keep him around.

ATL Forecast: Booker could be a nice backup option for the Falcons with the potential to play either inside or outside. Bulk him up some and could play the middle, otherwise probably keep him on the outside on the weakside most likely. If he could stick on special teams, then he could stick as a reserve in Atlanta. In time, he could be developed more on defense and make an effective reserve. But he's not the best choice to be developed as a future starter.

Value: Booker merits a late round pick. He's got the talent to be a fifth round pick, but I'd probably be more willing to target him in the sixth round or later.

Profile E-mail