Post subject: Al Woods, DT, LSU
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:21 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

AL WOODS
6-4/309
LSU Senior
40: 5.15

PROS: A good short-area player that does a good job taking on double teams and holding and anchoring at the point of attack. Has good strength, able to toss aside blockers. Showed a bit more range this past year, able to make some plays in pursuit.
CONS: Doesn't get off blocks, especially when double teamed. Lacks range. Doesn't show much of any quickness upfield, and isn't a factor as a pass rusher. Has limited technique, and doesn't quit know how to use his hands to bull rush.
OVERVIEW: Woods came into LSU with a lot of fanfare, but never lived up to the hype. His best year as a senior where he was a regular starter and had 33 tackles, 5.5 for loss, and 1 sack. Previously, he was just a rotation guy. An ankle injury limited him during his junior year and he managed to shed 15 pounds going into his senior year.
NFL FORECAST: He's a natural fit as a nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme, but I think NFL teams will want him to bulk back up again to play there. As is, he's strong enough to play in a 3-4, but with his style of play, being light doesn't add much quickness for him. He's raw, but his potential is high with his strength and ability to absorb blocks. So he's one of those players that might have to split reps or work his way off the bench his first two or so years in the league. The weight is only an issue if teams fear that if he bulks back up, it might make him less durable and weaken his conditioning. It's hard to label Woods a boom/bust prospect since I don't expect him to be drafted high enough or his production in college to be to a level where there should be huge expectations on him. He is a potential sleeper at nose tackle that if he can develop, might be better than some of the more highly touted guys in this class. But it's hard for me to see a team evaluating him and expecting him to be the next Casey Hampton, as opposed to thinking it's possible. He could be a bust in the sense that he never really manages to contribute, even as a role player off the bench. But I think at the least, he'll make a good backup nose in the same mold as a Gabe Watson, with the potential to be another Casey Hampton.
ATL FORECAST: Woods is a poor fit in a 4-3 scheme like the Falcons which likes their tackles to get upfield and collapse the pocket. He just doesn't do that at all, and while his potential as a run stuffer could be intriguing in a rotation, he's not a guy that really makes plays against the run. He is just good enough to absorb some blocks and free up teammates. But NFL teams, at least early on in his career, won't have a ton of trouble neutralizing that aspect of his game, until he can learn to get off some blocks himself and make some plays.
VALUE: For a 3-4 team looking for a developmental nose tackle, I would take him in the late third or fourth round.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 4.5
POINT OF ATTACK: 3.0
QUICKNESS: 1.0
PASS RUSH: 1.0
MOTOR: 2.5

Profile E-mail