All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brandon Deaderick, DT, Alabama
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:53 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

BRANDON DEADERICK
6-4/314
Alabama Senior

PROS: Has good size and strength. Shows potential as a bull rusher. Has a decent first step and plays with a good motor. Has experience working in space and shows good recognition and awareness there. Can shoot gaps and penetrate vs. the run. Can make plays in pursuit and works laterally down the line.
CONS: Lacks ideal burst upfield and is a limited pass rusher. Lacks any real pass rush moves, relying mainly on his strength and motor. Hasn't quite mastered the driving feet part of bull rushing. Needs to do a better job getting off blocks, particularly when he's rushing the quarterback. Not a smooth athlete when operated in space.
OVERVIEW: Deaderick is a good player that has potential to develop. He was a three-year starter at Alabama playing more of a defensive tackle position, but also played end in their 3-4 scheme. He was shot this past September in the arm in a botched robbery attempt, but did not miss a game, and was in the starting lineup by the fifth game. He combined for 7 sacks and 13 tackles for loss the past three seasons. He was listed at around 290, but showed up much heavier at the Combine.
NFL FORECAST: Deaderick fits well as a two-gap defender because his size should allow him to hold the point of attack. I dont' think he'd work well as a nose, but if he was to put on another 10-15 pounds, I would change my mind. BUt he wouldn't work well as a end in a 3-4 scheme where his job is to occupy blockers. He can also play in the 4-3 as a run stuffer, with some ability to get upfield and be disruptive. But he won't be a factor as a pass rusher, and will probably have to be limited to running downs in either scheme. He's not going to be a playmaker, but is a guy that will offer a lot of value because of his ability to stuff the run and free up teammates to make plays. I think in the end his NFL potential probably is somewhere around Jacques Cesaire, in that's best off the bench but also a capable starter.
ATL FORECAST: Deaderick would have to play inside for the Falcons, and would be a nice addition on running downs because of the size he offers in the middle. He has enough quickness to play in a one-gap scheme, but if he was to make a permanent fit here would be better off slimming down in order to play around 300 or so pounds to take the most advantage of his quickness. He'd be a nice backup, but I'm not sure he'd be much better in a 4-3 scheme than Thomas Johnson is today.
VALUE: For a 3-4 team looking for a guy with potential to contribute in a rotation, Deaderick makes a nice late fourth or fifth round pick. For a 4-3 team envisioning him inside, he's better value in the sixth or seventh.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 4.0
POINT OF ATTACK: 3.0
QUICKNESS: 2.5
PASS RUSH: 2.0
MOTOR: 3.5

Profile E-mail