Aleric Mullins, DT, North Carolina

Scouting reports of defensive tackles in the 2010 draft.
Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Aleric Mullins, DT, North Carolina

Postby Pudge » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:32 pm

ALERIC MULLINS
6-1/319
North Carolina Senior
40: 4.95 (Campus)

PROS: Has good strength and has the ability to hold the point of attack. Uses his hands and can make the stop at the line of scrimmage. Does a nice job beating the center one on one. Has a nice motor and will give chase in pursuit.
CONS: Lacks quickness upfield and can be slow off the snap. Won't get much penetration and not a factor in pass rush. Lacks range to be a factor in pursuit. At times will get pushed back and engulfed in trash too much. Needs to get off blocks more consistently and struggles vs. double teams.
OVERVIEW: Never was a full-time starter at UNC, spending the past two years as a reserve to Cam Thomas for the most part. Did start 5 games as a sophomore, but arrival of Marvin Austin his junior year ended any chance he had of being a regular starter. Played mostly nose tackle. Combined for 10 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, and 46 tackles in three years. Had an extra year of eligibility if he wanted to return.
NFL FORECAST: Mullins might be a bit more ready to contribute right away in a 3-4 scheme at nose tackle than the player that started over him, Cam Thomas. But Mullins lacks ideal starter's upside. Instead, I think he'll spend his entire career as a No. 2 nose tackle for a 3-4 team. In a 4-3, he coudl be a decent No. 4 defensive tackle that can bolster a rotation on running downs. But he's not a consistent run stuffer because he doesn't have great burst or power. He's really just a space eater that has nice athleticism, but doesn't have the disruptive capabilities or strength to really be a consistent factor as a starter. But he should develop into a nice backup for a 3-4 team in the same mold as a Paul Soliai, but I don't see him ever being a consistent starter.
ATL FORECAST: Mullins would add size to the Falcons lineup, and would definitely give guys like Walker and Lewis a run for their money as the No. 4 guy. Because of his size potential and ability to play the run, he could win that job right away, although I'm not sure as of today he's a better player than either guy. But down the road, he could be a valuable two-down backup for the Falcons, although I don't really see him being a better option in Atlanta than Walker would long-term.
VALUE: Mullins would be a nice fifth round pick for a 3-4 team, although wouldn't be a major reach in the late fourth. For a 4-3 team, they shouldn't take him before the seventh round.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 4.0
POINT OF ATTACK: 3.5
QUICKNESS: 1.5
PASS RUSH: 1.5
MOTOR: 3.0
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “Defensive Tackles”