It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:01 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Quick off the ball, has good hand usage along with good size and strength, has a good burst to get upfield and beat his blocker or split a double team. When he plays with good leverage he can occasionally stand up to double teams but is better at getting upfield and splitting the double team than plugging up the middle of the line. Is a good tackler, has a good motor and will give chase on the backside of plays, runs stunts well and is patient. He is an impact player versus the run and the pass because of his quickness.

Cons: Some injury issues in the past and even this year, but played hurt and showed toughness. Does not stand up well to double teams usually, and would get doubled on pass plays and some run plays to try to make the other rushers create pressure. Does not have much of a pass rush move other than a bull rush or a quick swim move. Flashes a spin move but I have not seen it used effectively. Doesn’t always play with good leverage, and could be coached up in that regard. He did play a lot of snaps on Syracuse though, so I think playing in a rotation like he will in the NFL will help that. Could stand to add some weight to his frame (6’2” or 6’3” and 295 pounds) to get stronger.

Overall: I think Jones is a very good DT prospect. He is obviously a UT type who is better at rushing the passer and disrupting plays in the backfield than clogging up running lanes, but he is good versus the run and the pass all the same. He has some injury issues and figures to get hurt during his pro career and miss some time, so that is an issue. However if his injuries from his past check out he shouldn’t have a buyer beware tag on him. He is quick off the line, has a good burst, is a good tackler with a good motor and is well rounded versus the run and the pass. He may not be an elite DT, but he is a quality NFL DT prospect.

Projection: 3rd round: He may go a bit higher than this, but I have a feeling his injury issues will drop him a little bit and this DT class is a pretty good one, especially at the top. There are guys who will go earlier than him, and though he could sneak into the 2nd round I feel that the 3rd round is the place for him. If a team needs a quality UT prospect then Arthur Jones is your man.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 3.5
POINT OF ATTACK: 3.5
QUICKNESS: 4.0
PASS RUSH: 3.5
MOTOR: 4.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:50 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

ARTHUR JONES
6-3/301
Syracuse Senior

PROS: Shows burst off the snap and a quick first step to get penetration. Has a nice swim move and shows ability as a bull rusher. Shows a nice motor, and can make plays laterally along the line in pursuit. Able to make plays in space. Can drop back into coverage on zone blitzes, and moves fairly well for his size. Will take up his game a notch in short-yardage, firing off the ball.
CONS: Struggles against double teams, and too often gets engulfed at the point of attack. Has trouble disengaging from blockers. Spends a bit too much time on the ground. Doesn't always break down once he gets penetration and will whiff on stops against mobile quarterbacks.
OVERVIEW: You see his potential due to his strength, quickness, and athleticism, but he doesn't always play up to his ability. He started 9 games as a senior before a knee injury sidetracked him. He finished year with 19 tackles, 7 for loss, and 1.5 sacks. In two previous seasons as a starter, he combined for 30.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. His knee injury might cause him to miss some time this summer, as he also tore a pectoral muscle this off-season lifting weights.
NFL FORECAST: The injury is a concern only because it might limit his value as a rookie. But in terms of his long-term upside, Jones could be a really good player. He played the nose tackle position at Syracuse, although sometimes his style of play seems mroe adept at playing the 3-technique, which would take better advantage of his quickness. Not to mention how much he struggled against double teams, which he would see a lot more at the nose. I don't think Jones will ever be an impact pass rusher as he never got a lot of sacks while at Syracuse. But he's disruptive and will work well in a scheme that allows him to attack upfield. He has the potential to be a really good run-stopper because of his ability to press the line of scrimmage, but he's still a work in progress there. I would say his maximum upside is that of a strong, more athletic Babineaux. And because of that, I'm not sure it's going to take him the better part of three or so seasons before he starts to find his stride like Babs. But I think he's too talented not to become a good starter down the road.
ATL FORECAST: Jones fits in Atlanta because he can immediately provide depth behind Jerry at nose tackle, but also be developed to play the under tackle role. He has starter's potential and three or four years from now could be in a position to take Babineaux's job and form a solid duo with Jerry. He's athletically gifted enough that he could become the team's best defensive tackle in a few years. He may not contribute a ton as a rookie, but is definitely worth saving for years two and three where he'd be their top backup option.
VALUE: If not for the injury, he'd be a solid second round talent. The injury might drop him to a third round, but anything after that he is a steal.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 3.5
POINT OF ATTACK: 3.0
QUICKNESS: 4.0
PASS RUSH: 3.0
MOTOR: 3.5

Profile E-mail