All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kade Weston, DT, Georgia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:37 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Kade Weston
6-5/325
Georgia Senior

PROS: Shows a decent first step and will work his way to the quarterback. Capable bull rusher with good strength. Shows nice effort and motor.
CONS: Limited as a pass rusher because he lacks explosiveness and closing burst to finish plays even when he can get some sort of penetration. Lacks range to be a factor in pursuit despite effort.
OVERVIEW: Massive interior player that shows the strength and potential to be a solid run stuffer. Started over but rotated with Atkins this past year and had 2.5 sacks and 6.5 tackles for losss. Was a part of the rotation the other three years, but never a regular starter.
NFL FORECAST: Weston projects best as a 3-4 nose tackle because he just doesn't have the range and quickness to be a consistent option on passing downs. With his size and power, he fits best in a two-gap scheme. I'm not sure he's going to impact right away, and instead needs development. I think in a couple years though he could be a nice starter. For now, the best course is for teams to target him as a rotational backup at nose tackle, particularly for teams with aging nose tackles or unproven young guys. He can play in the 4-3, but he'll be limited to run downs. With his tall frame, he also has room to get bigger to fit in the 3-4. His upside is fairly high, although I'm not confident he'll live up to his size potential. But in five years I think he'll be at least a solid rotational backup for a team if not a good starter.
ATL FORECAST: Weston could add value as a rotational player for teh Falcons, but again doesn't possess the quickness to be as disruptive presence as the Falcons coaches want. He can help on run downs, but isn't quite ready to be a significant part of a rotation yet. But in a year or two, he could make a nice third tackle that can spell Jerry on run downs to keep him fresher and prevent wear and tear.
VALUE: Weston is a mid-round pick best suited for a fourth or fifth round pick. His upside to play the nose might have a 3-4 team snatch him in the latter part of the third round.

Profile E-mail