All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Linval Joseph, DT, East Carolina
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:17 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

LINVAL JOSEPH
6-6/322
East Carolina Junior

PROS: Has a nice first step and shows burst upfield to push the pocket. Shows good size and strength. Flashes potential as a bull rusher.
CONS: Doesn't get off blocks and struggles at the point of attack. Won't make a ton of plays in the backfield despite ability to penetrate. Can get pushed back and struggle against double teams. Needs to improve his hand use and lacks any developed pass rush moves.
OVERVIEW: He has the size and strength you like as a potential pass rusher. Had only 3 sacks as a junior, but had 13 tackles for loss. He could have used an extra year in school.
NFL FORECAST: Joseph is a fairly underdeveloped guy that I'm not sure why he decided to come out early since he had not maximized his draft stock yet. I think Joseph would work best either as a 3-technique in a 4-3 or a 5-technique in a 3-4. I think he's going to have to sit and learn and develop. So a team that drafts him and expects him to pay immediate dividends will likely be disappointed. He can contribute in a rotation right away, but probably nothing more than a fourth tackle. I think 3-4 years down the road, he could develop into a capable starter. I don't think he'll be a star, but an average to above average starter. He'll never be a top pass rusher, but a guy that can give you 2-3 sacks. He has the frame that he could really fill out, so he should be able to get better vs. the run down the road. He could presumably put on another 20 pounds without much issue.
ATL FORECAST: Joseph could work in Atlanta, but again he's unlikely to contribute much other than being a decent rotation player the first few years. His upside would likely land him a backup gig as the fourth tackle, but he probably would be less effective in that role than Vance Walker was a year ago. He'll impress the coaches with his pass rush potential, as his size and strength will make an intriguing prospect. But his impact on defense would be fairly minimal. His issues vs. the run would make him a liability there. Joseph would probably make the Falcons roster, but would be better served sitting on the practice squad. Then perhaps three years down the road, he could be a nice third tackle. But he likely wouldn't ever be a starter.
VALUE: Joseph is an upside guy that some team should take no higher than the fifth round. But he's probably closer in line with seventh round talent, just his physical tools and upside might bump him a round or two.

Profile E-mail