All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vince Oghobaase, DE/DT, Duke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:45 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Vince Oghobaase
6-5/305
Duke Senior

PROS: Has a decent first step that shows some closing burst on the ball and passer. Has a nice motor and will work down the line laterally and give chase in pursuit. Can make the tackle at the point of attack. An effective bull rusher with a nice swim move.
CONS: Needs to improve his hand use. Has trouble with double teams. Doesn't break down well when he's working in space and misses too many tackles.
OVERVIEW: He's got a nice tall, lean frame and will flash ability as a disruptive penetrator. But he's not consistent there and doesn't have that explosive first step or last step to really make plays.
NFL FORECAST: While he plays inside at Duke, I think he'll have to move to defensive end in the 3-4 scheme. He's got the ideal built for that scheme, and because he won't be counted on to be a pass rusher, his lack of production in that area will not be missed as much. He needs to fill out his frame a bit more and get stronger vs. the run. If he was to stay inside in the 4-3, I think he would need to add another 10-15 pounds at least before he can really be expected to hold up against the run. He's not going to be a great pass rusher and likely to get up to 2 or 3 sacks regardless of the scheme. As a rotational body in the 4-3, he can contribute, but he's not going to start there. He has a better chance of being a starter in a two-gap scheme. But I don't expect him to be anything more than a backup early in his career. Perhaps three years down the road he can be a competent starter, but he won't be an impact player.
ATL FORECAST: He'd be miscast in Atlanta. He could help the rotation inside, but again needs to bulk up to hold against the run. And even in the rotation he's not going to contribute a lot right away. At best, he could impress somewhat with his pass rushing ability and land a No. 4 job with the Falcons right away. As he fills out, he could become a decent No. 3 guy down the road. But he doesn't fit very well in Atlanta because he's purely a three-technique tackle, and the Falcons like their interior defenders to be relatively interchangeable.
VALUE: For a 3-4 team looking to develop some depth for the future, he's a nice fifth round pick. For a 4-3 team, he might merit a seventh round selection, but probably would be better off going undrafted.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Vince Oghobaase, DE/DT, Duke
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:32 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Impressive size and strength for the position. He has some quickness off the ball and shows a pretty good swim and rip move to beat offensive linemen when he gets off the ball well. He shows the ability to play with good pad level and when he does he can walk his man into the backfield when he gets a 1 on 1 matchup and he stands up well to double teams. He has even shown the ability to drive a double team block into the backfield. He is very strong and flashes a very strong punch when he attacks the offensive lineman he is going against. Has ok hand usage, and seems to do a decent job of reading and reacting. He also does a decent job of wrapping up for his size.

Cons: He has great height, but it becomes a detriment when he doesn’t play with good pad level. He has some conditioning issues in my opinion, and when he gets tired he tends to play higher, losing his leverage, and that makes it easier to take him out of the play with a single offensive lineman or a double team. He is good versus the run because of his size and strength, but he doesn’t have great burst or quickness outside of short area quickness, so he doesn’t offer much as a pass rusher. He doesn’t have very many well developed pass rush moves either. Could stand to improve his hand usage to help him shed blocks better.

Overall: Oghobaase has potential, he just needs some development. He is a large man with great strength and some quickness to get upfield and make plays in the backfield. He played DT in college, but I think his best fit is at 3-4 DE in the NFL. He has the perfect size and frame for it, and if he could add a little weight and improve his conditioning I think he could develop into a solid starter at that position. His ceiling is a player who starts in the NFL for a long time and has a solid impact, but his floor is a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT who sticks around for 5-6 years but never really gets any better from year to year. It all depends on his work ethic and how bad he wants it. If he wants to improve and takes to coaching well he could make the transition to 3-4 DE after a year or two of development and start to get consistent playing time there. If not, he will get drafted but not stick on a roster for more than a couple of years and he will bounce around.

Projection: 5th-6th round: He could go in the 5th round somewhere, especially since there are not a lot of 3-4 DE prospects in this draft. I think Oghobaase can stick somewhere and develop into a solid starter at 3-4 DE, but whether that happens or not is up to him.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 4.0
POINT OF ATTACK: 3.5
QUICKNESS: 3.0
PASS RUSH: 2.5
MOTOR: 3.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail