Post subject: Kevin Basped, DE, Nevada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:58 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Kevin Basped
6-5/258
Nevada Junior
40: 4.75

PROS: Has long arms and a good frame. Has a quick first step and upfield burst. Has nice straight-line speed and works well on inside stunts. Can get some leverage vs. the run. Shows potential as a bull rusher and shows decent closing burst on the ball. Has a good motor and plays to the whistle.
CONS: Doesn't get off blocks well and has trouble disengaging when rushing the passer. Gets engulfed at times at the point of attack vs. the run. Doesn't have much experience working in space.
OVERVIEW: He's got growth potential and was productive as a starter at Nevada. Started two full seasons and half of his sophomore year. Combined for 42.5 tackles for loss and 23.5 sacks the past three seasons. Also lined up inside on passing downs quite often, and used on a lot of stunts.
NFL FORECAST: Basped has the frame to get bigger, and he was listed at 240 pounds during the season, so he's bulked up quite a bit. He's a bit of a tweener. He probably is a bit more of a natural end simply because he doesn't have a ton of experience playing in space or working in coverage. I don't think he'll ever be a starter, but if he can improve his technique and get bigger, I think he can be a nice rotational guy. The problem is that he doesn't have very many moves and doesn't disengage from blockers well enough to really be an impact edge rusher. He only seemed to be effective on stunts and bull rushes. If he can be coached up, this shouldn't be a major problem. But I wouldn't expect big things from him as a pass rusher at the next level. Instead, I think he might wind up being a better run stopper in the same mold as a Chauncey Davis. But he's raw there as well. But with his frame, he can get bigger and become better there. He should be able to help a team's rotation, but I'm not sure he's going to be much more than a body in the first two or so years of his career. Eventually, he might develop into a guy that can give you 2-4 sacks off the bench, but mainly because of his motor.
ATL FORECAST: Basped can help the Falcons rotation, and potentially be developed to fill a similar niche as Davis down the road. But for now, he's a fairly raw prospect. Like Sidbury, he probably won't do much his first year in. And unless he really improves his technique and adds some moves as an edge pass rusher, it's unlikely he'll be more than a so-so guy down the road. He certainly can help depth, but I'm not sure he'll do much until his third or fourth year with the team. Long-term, you're probably hoping for a quicker version of Davis that can be a nice No. 3 end for the Falcons.
VALUE: Basped is worth a late round pick because of his long-term potential to contribute in a rotation. But he shouldn't go off the board before the sixth round.

Profile E-mail