All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eric Moncur, DE, Miami
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:50 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

ERIC MONCUR
6-2/250
Miami Senior

PROS: Has a quick first step that flashes the burst and edge speed to turn the corner. Has a decent swim move when working off the corner. Can break down and wrap up to make the tackle in space. Shows decent recognition.
CONS: Inconsistent vs. the run. Struggles at point of attack and struggles to disengage from blockers. Doesn't always play smart. Can be late coming off the ball when it's snapped. Takes too many extra steps and doesn't quite know how to dip the shoulder when trying to turn the corner. Has an inconsistent motor and tendency to take plays off.
OVERVIEW: Injuries sidetracked what might have been a very promising Miami career and NFL future. First saw him as a junior where he started opposite Calais Campbell, and I was impressed with him and his speed off the corner. That was his first full year as a starter and had 11.5 tackles for loss and 6 sacks that year. The following year, he was limited by a sports hernia. He still managed 2.5 tackles for loss and 2 sacks in 4 games. He came back this past year, and only played in 6 games, again limited by a groin injury, that may or may not have been related to the hernia. He had 1 TFL and 1 sack as a situational pass rusher his senior year.
NFL FORECAST: I still think Moncur has a chance to play in the NFL, but probably only as a situational pass rusher. After his junior year in 2007, I would have considered him a potential Top 50 pick. Since then, I would say he's at best a late rounder. The injuries will have to be checked out by team doctors and it's a similar kind of injury that plagued John Abraham for years in New York and at the beginning of his Falcon career, so I have little expectations he can just get over it with a snap of a finger. So he's one of those players that might take a few years before he can get healthy. But if he ever picks up where he left off 3 years ago, he has a chance. I saw an improved motor in his limited playing time this past year over what I saw in 2008. He's raw, one-dimensional, but if you can polish up his pass-rushing technique and teach him a few more moves, he has a chance to be a nice situational pass rusher. He can also project at linebacker, but is a project there. He's one of those players that could become a late bloomer simply because it takes him several years to get healthy. I could see him as a guy that could rack up 3-5 sacks per year as a situational guy.
ATL FORECAST: Moncur has potentail to develop, but due to the injury concerns and his one-dimensionality he doesn't offer a lot to the Falcons in the immediate future. At best, you're hoping that with a year or two on the practice squad to develop and get healthy, he could start to hit his stride by 2012 or so. I would say he has greater pass rush potential than either Biermann or Sidbury had coming into the league if based off his 2007 tape, but it's all for naught if he can't stay healthy.
VALUE: I wouldn't draft him just because of the injury issues, but he has the talent that I would look for in a sixth round pick.

Profile E-mail