All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C.J. Wilson, DE, East Carolina
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:44 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

C.J. Wilson
6-3/290
East Carolina Senior

PROS: Has a nice first step and flashes the closing burst and ability to turn the corner. Has a nice slap move, and also able to make a quick inside counter move to beat blocker off the edge. Is a capable bull rusher that uses his hands well to get under blockers' pads. Can make the tackle at the point of attack and shows ability in pursuit.
CONS: Not a factor vs. the run. Doesn't get off blocks well and plays with poor recognition. Not consistent in showing the burst to turn the corner, and can be slow getting off the snap at times. Doesn't work well on inside stunts. Doesn't always play with a high motor.
OVERVIEW: He's an oversized rush end that struggled when he wasn't able to use his first step and edge speed. Production dropped off as a senior, as his numbers fell from 10.5 to 5.5 sacks, and 18.5 tackles for loss to 10.5.
NFL FORECAST: Wilson was listed at 278 while at ECU, so the weight gain is a bit concerning. Because his forte was coming off the edge, and with him being in the upper 280s and around 290, I don't think he'll have the first step necessary to be a factor there. And if he's trying to bulk up to give him more options to play in a 3-4, I'm not sure that's the best course of action. Since he tended to struggle when he worked inside or was lined up in a 5-technique. His bull rush abilities make you think he has a chance to work as an interior pass rusher, but he'd be a work in progress there. I just don't think unless he's 275 pounds or under he'll be an impact pass rusher off the edge. He can definitely contribute to someone's rotation. But he's an oversized rush end that doesn't play the run well, and with the added bulk I don't think he'll have the burst he flashed and showed at ECU. It wouldn't surprise me to see him eventually develop as a capable 3-4 end or possible 4-3 tackle, but I think it'll take him three or four years before he can impact at those positions, a time period that offers little value for the team that drafts him. If he dropped 15-20 pounds, he'd be able to impact right away as a rotational and situational pass rusher.
ATL FORECAST: Wilson could help the Falcons rotation, and with him at his current size could potentially offer a guy that can play inside on passing downs. But again, he's probably several years away from being able to impact as an interior player. And unless he goes on a diet, don't think he'll add much value at end.
VALUE: If he was under 280 pounds, I'd consider him a fourth or fifth round talent. But at his current size I don't think he's worth a draft pick because he's too much of a tweener.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 4.0
QUICKNESS: 3.0
PASS RUSH: 3.5
POINT OF ATTACK: 2.0
RECOGNITION: 2.0
MOTOR: 3.0

Profile E-mail