It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jason Worilds, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:08 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Very quick off the line, has good hand usage as a pass rusher, flashed some very nice usage of a spin move, has a great motor, showed good flexibility to dip under the OT’s hands to get the edge, stunts well and is a good tackler and has some pop to his hits. Shields himself from cut blocks extremely well.

Cons: Not a very big guy, he will measure between 6’1” and 6’2” at the combine I imagine. He struggles a bit versus the run, even though he has natural leverage (which helps when pass rushing). He could stand to add a bit of weight, maybe up to 258-260, to fill out the rest of his frame and help him versus the run. I am unsure how good his instincts are, but they aren’t a serious detriment.

Overall: I like Worlids quite a bit as a RE prospect. He is not going to come in and have an impact as a RE immediately in any form other than a situational pass rusher, but if he rushes the passer starting in his rookie season and develops over the course of the year he could become a quality RE in the NFL. He is a bit raw and just needs some patient development, but his quickness off the edge and his potential as a pass rusher is well worth developing.

Projection: Mid-2nd-3rd round: Right now he is only a situational pass rusher, but he has the potential to evolve into a quality pass rushing right end. I am not sure he will ever be very good versus the run, but if he adds a little weight he will be average versus the run, especially against LT’s who are not as good at run/drive blocking.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 3.5
QUICKNESS: 4.0
PASS RUSH: 4.0
POINT OF ATTACK: 2.5
RECOGNITION: 3.0
MOTOR: 4.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jason Worlids, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Worilds at combine...

4.72 forty (top 8), 6.95 (3rd at position) 3 cone and 4.29 20yd shuttle. All top 5-10 at his position, I think he helped himself.

Post subject: Re: Jason Worilds, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

JASON WORILDS
6-1/254
Virginia Tech Senior
40: 4.65

PROS: Has an excellent first step and shows ability to turn the corner. Has good burst, closes quickly on the ball, and shows good straight-line speed. Can make plays in pursuit and does a nice job wrapping up as a tackler. Is developing a spin move, but also shows some ability as a bull rusher and a decent inside counter move. Has some experience dropping back in coverage and has the athleticism and ability to move well in space.
CONS: Lacks recogntiion and doesn't consistently do a good job playing contain on the edge. Will hit the wrong gaps and bites on the zone read. Struggles to get off blocks at the point of attack and gets engulfed too often. Has trouble disengaging from blocks, including those from tight ends. Doesn't quite know how to shed blocks and tends to run around them. Gets too easily chipped by tight ends. Tends to overly rely on his edge speed and needs to develop more moves and improve his technique to disengage from blockers.
OVERVIEW: A tweener that has one of the best first steps I've seen on the college level and his edge speed can make him a top-flight pass rusher. A two-year starter that didn't have a great senior year because he only had 4.5 sacks and 11 tackles for loss, which dropped from his 8 sacks and 18.5 TFLs as a junior. But managed to have 32 QB hurries over his 19 from a junior year.
NFL FORECAST: Worilds can impact at both end and linebacker, but he's a bit of a work in progress. His edge speed means that he can quickly impact as a pass rusher, but he's still a bit raw there because his best weapon (edge speed) is too easily neutralized when you chip him with a tight end. So he still has a lot of work to do there. But his better position is probably at linebacker, although he'll need quite a bit of work there, mainly in terms of the mental aspects. His recognition is not where you want to see in a potential linebacker candidate. But he could work very well in a scheme that allows him to mostly rush the quarterback. He'll fit best in a 3-4 scheme, but could also work in a Brian Orakpo-like role in a 4-3, although he won't be as effective a SAM linebacker because of his struggles to shed blockers and won't be great matching up on the line of scrimmage against tight ends. I would compare him to Robert Mathis or Elvis Dumervil in that he should be a productive situational pass rusher. But not sure he has the ideal skills to be an every down player either at end or linebacker. But in time, he can develop better skills vs. the run, but he's probably two or three years away from being a well-rounded player. But his pass rush potential means that he could be able to contribute 8-10 sacks between now and then.
ATL FORECAST: Worilds would likely be groomed as a potential replacement for John Abraham in Atlanta. His pass rush potential means that he could fit in that role. But he needs to get stronger and improve vs. the run. And at least for the near future, he'll likely have to be limited as a situational guy in the same vein as Kroy Biermann. His edge speed should make him impact right away, but he probably won't live up to his potential until three or more years down the road as he works to get stronger and improve his technique. Playing with Abraham for a year or two should help, but he's not a guy that is likely to be a double digit sack guy right away, and it might take him some time to develop there. But he does have that sort of potential, even if he never develops the well-rounded game to play the run like Abraham has done in his career.
VALUE: Worilds has first round potential with his burst, but the fact that he needs some significant development means he should be a second round pick.

SKILLS

STRENGTH: 2.0
QUICKNESS: 5.0
POINT OF ATTACK: 1.5
RECOGNITION: 2.0
MOTOR: 3.0

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
A two-year starter that didn't have a great senior year because he only had 4.5 sacks and 11 tackles for loss, which dropped from his 8 sacks and 18.5 TFLs as a junior. But managed to have 32 QB hurries over his 19 from a junior year.

Pretty simple explanation, he was doubled teamed and held most of the season. At the end of the day, the best thing about whoever gets him is that he lives and breathes football. That cant be underestimated with his 34 transition.

My take...

SKILLS

STRENGTH: 3.0
QUICKNESS: 5.0
POINT OF ATTACK: 2.0-2.5
RECOGNITION: 4.0
MOTOR: 5.0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.nj.com/sports/nfldraft/index ... ut_to.html

GOOD READ, think pep like Dez Bryant would like to have this kind of character??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:42 am 

I like Worilds as a prospect, but this doesn't really do much for me about him. I'm sure there were similar articles like this about Jamaal Anderson when he was going through the process.

Character really isn't about being a humble, intelligent, well-mannered person with a good head on his shoulders.

Despite his off-season incident, I consider Ray Lewis to have very high football character.

Character IMO is about leadership, work ethic, competitiveness, and an unsatiable desire to win football games.

This is what IMO Dez Bryant lacks. And while Worilds may possess this, nothing written in this article suggests that he does.

Profile E-mail