Frank Zombo, DE, Central Michigan

Scouting reports of defensive ends in the 2010 draft.
Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Frank Zombo, DE, Central Michigan

Postby Pudge » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:54 pm

FRANK ZOMBO
6-3/269
Central Michigan Senior

PROS: He has a nice first step with good-straight line burst that he uses well as a bull rusher and on stunts. Has a very good motor. Has the size and strength to get leverage vs. the run and hold the point of attack and make the stop.
CONS: Lacks the edge burst to turn the corner and won't be an impact pass rusher. Needs to do a better job getting off blocks at the point of attack. Doesn't play well when he's asked to make plays in space.
OVERVIEW: Zombo is a big guy that is a productive pass rusher and with the size potential to get bigger.
NFL FORECAST: I think his greatest upside is as an end in a 3-4 scheme. He'll have to get a bit bigger and stronger, and I think he can be a nice rotation player. But he can also fit in the 4-3, if he doesn't get any bigger. He'll never be known as a pass rusher, but you like his size, strength, and motor. And with those things alone, he'll be able to make a few sacks per year. I would compare him to a taller, stronger version of Chauncey Davis. He'll be able to contribute in some teams' rotation. In the 4-3, he can play on run downs, particularly if he can improve his technique. In the 3-4, he can be a guy that rotates in and is a poor man's Brett Keisel. Either way, he should be a solid role player.
ATL FORECAST: Zombo would add some size to the rotation and if the team is looking for a high motor player that can contribute on run downs, he would be a good choice. In that way, he could push someone like Anderson. Although I don't think Zombo is quite good enough to shine in his first camp and make the roster. But put him on the practice squad for a year and then see what he can do in 2011. If he improves his technique, he could be an above average run stopper like Davis and could be a nice two-down player for the future. He'll improve the Falcons rotation, but he won't be anything special.
VALUE: He's a good late round pick for a team looking for depth and to bolster their rotation. A 3-4 team might take him in the sixth, but a 4-3 team could take him in the seventh.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “Defensive Ends”