All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shawn Lauvao, OG, Arizona State
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:07 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Shawn Lauvao
6-3/315
Arizona State Senior

PROS: Has nice footwork on the edge and is a good athlete. Plays with good pop off the snap and takes good angles to get position as a run blocker. Finishes his blocks and is a capable cut blocker. Initiates contact and can lock on in pass protection. Does a nice job taking out linebackers on the second level and getting the seal on the edge.
CONS: Needs to improve his technique. Needs to play with better base and can get bull-rushed. Opens stance too early and gets too deep at times in pass protection. Lacks ideal mean streak.
OVERVIEW: A solid all-around player that is a nice athlete. He started at left tackle for ASU this past year, but played left guard as a junior and sophomore. So in total, has 17 starts at left guard, 12 at left tackle, and 4 at right tackle. Put on 14 pounds between Senior Bowl and Combine.
NFL FORECAST: He should work best as a guard in a zone-blocking scheme, but I think he can also be effective man blocker because of his footwork. May take a year or so to work out the kinks in his technique, but I think he should make a solid NFL starter by his third season. He won't be dominant, but should be an above average starter. His experience playing tackle should also allow him to add some depth on a zone-blocking team and fill in a pinch. The weight gain is odd to me because it's a significant amount in a short period. It's not really a red flag, but it's just a lot of weight gain for a player that really didn't need it. He won't ever be a power blocker, he's just a finesse guy that lives by his athleticism, not his strength and power.
ATL FORECAST: Lauvao could play in Atlanta, but I'm not sure he would be a good fit as a long-term starter. He would probably fill a depth role for a year or two, and evenutally become a starter on the left side. But I'm not sure his playing style really meshes well with Boudreau's style and while he could be a capable starter, I don't see him excelling in Atlanta.
VALUE: Lauvao is a nice mid-round pick that should go in the fourth or fifth round.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 3.0
PASS BLOCKING: 3.0
RUN BLOCKING: 3.5
FOOTWORK: 3.5
TECHNIQUE: 3.0
MOBILITY: 3.5
MEAN STREAK: 2.5

Profile E-mail