It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:03 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Great size, strength and good athletic ability. Doesn’t look uncomfortable moving in space on stunts or getting outside for screens. Looks alright in his kick slide, has pretty good lateral agility to mirror speed rushers, flashes a good punch to jolt the defender, can drive block well in the running game, does not have an issue getting to the second level and getting his hands on a linebacker. Looks alright getting out of his stance into pass protection.

Cons: Does not sustain blocks well, seems to lose focus at times, does not handle counter moves as a pass blocker, needs to improve his hand usage both in his initial punch and to keep the defender blocked once he engages him. Does not fire off the line in the running game, his kick slide looks a bit labored and needs to make sure he plays with good leverage in the running game. Perhaps needs some work on down blocking. At times will lean into his blocks too much and as the block does not sustain he loses his balance and falls. Needs technique work overall as a pass blocker.

Overall: Davis is a very talented prospect, and absolutely has the potential to play LT in the NFL. He has the athletic ability, size and strength to be effective at it also. But immediately upon entering the league he might be best suited at RT. He is effective in the running game, but needs technique work as a pass blocker, and needs to be coached up a bit to sustain his blocks, take away counter moves (especially inside moves) as a pass blocker and use his hands better. If he can work on his hand usage, improve his consistency when sustaining blocks and improve his focus he could be a good LT. But starting at RT might be best so he wouldn’t be immediately facing good/great pass rushers who would likely take advantage of his issues with counter moves.

Projection: Top 15: He is physically gifted and has a lot of potential, he just needs a coaching staff who can develop him and help him get the most out of his talent. If he lands in a place with a staff like that, he could develop into a very good NFL player.

STRENGTH: 4.0
PASS BLOCKING: 3.0
RUN BLOCKING: 3.5
FOOTWORK: 3.0
TECHNIQUE: 2.5
MOBILITY: 3.5
MEAN STREAK: 3.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:47 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

ANTHONY DAVIS
6-5/323
Rutgers Junior
40: 5.36

PROS: Has good size, strength, and athleticism. Plays with good pop off the snap as a run blocker, gets position, and has the power to drive defender downfield. Has good feet and does a nice job against speed rushers, using long arms and athleticism. Shows potential as a cut blocker. Does a nice job getting out on the second level and clearing lanes on screen passes. Can engulf linebacker when he pulls and is a load in the hole.
CONS: Inconsistent, and his technique get sloppy at times. Needs to improve his base and will lose balance. Overextends and lunges because he's a waist bender and doesn't always adjust well in space. Will miss his hand punch and needs to improve his hand use and isn't consistently able to lock on. Gets too deep in his sets and can be slow off the snap at times. Too often gives up inside move and can get beat by the swim on the edge as well. Tends to struggle with bull rushers. Whiffs on some assignments when asked to block in space.
OVERVIEW: He has a lot of potential, and is at his best when he's used in the running game as he rarely disappoints there. But can be iffy at times in pass protection. Came in as a true freshman and was a starter by his sixth game, and has been a fixture ever since.
NFL FORECAST: He's one of those guys that sometimes plays down to his competition it seems because he doesn't dominate his opponents like you think a player with his physical tools should. I'm reminded a bit of Michael Oher from last year. But while Oher's issues was mainly with motivation and keeping him focused, Davis has much more work to do with his technique. He needs polish. It's odd that a guy with his size struggles against the bull rush and guys making the inside counter move, as opposed to the speed rushers. I think the best thing for him is probably to start out on the right side, because I simply don't trust him as a rookie starter at left tackle. He's bettter when he's covered up by the tight end which hides some of his technical issues. And if he takes well to the right tackle spot as a rookie, then you can move him to left tackle. He has the potential to be one of the top left tackles in the league, because few guys are as good run blockers as him. I wouldn't call him a boom/bust guy because I do believe he'll be a capable starter eventually. But I think he could be a disappointment as a left tackle. But worst comes to worst, I think like Robert Gallery he can move inside and be a capable guard if he doesn't live up to his abilities on the outside.
ATL FORECAST: While Davis ability as a run blocker probably makes him a better long-term option at either tackle spot than the Falcons current starters, I'm not sure he meshes well in Atlanta. He just plays too timid at times, and unless Boudreau & Co. can really inspire him, then I don't think he'll mesh well with the workman-like attitude the rest of the unit brings. He's good enough to push Clabo right away as a starter, but probably the best thing for him as a Falcon is sitting him as a rookie, polishing up his technique and using him as a swing tackle. That way in 2011, he should be ready to go as a starter. But he could also get work as a guard if the Falcons opt that Baker and Clabo are their bookend guys after this season. He's a work in progress there because with some tweaks to his game, he could be a dominate left guard.
VALUE: He's too talented not to take in the first round, although he needs a lot of polish. He's not an elite tackle, but can be with several years of polish. But more than likely he'll be the next Marcus McNeill rather than Orlando Pace, so I'd take him somewhere in the twenties in Round One.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 4.0
PASS BLOCKING: 3.0
RUN BLOCKING: 4.5
FOOTWORK: 3.5
TECHNIQUE: 2.5
MOBILITY: 4.0
MEAN STREAK: 3.0

Profile E-mail