It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Page 2 Says it All
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:20 pm 

Courtesy: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... amn-moment

What if you'd been told before the game that in Atlanta, the Falcons would outgain Tampa Bay 443 yards to 258? That Vick would throw for 306 yards and two touchdowns without an interception? That Vick's offense would convert 11 of 17 third downs to just two of eight for the visitors?

What if you'd been told that Tampa Bay quarterback Chris Simms would manage only 118 yards passing with no touchdowns and one interception? That Joey Galloway, who came into the game third in the NFL in touchdown catches and receiving yards, wouldn't catch a single pass? That Atlanta would run 74 plays to the Bucs' 46?

What if you'd been told that Tampa Bay's only slight advantage would be in turnovers -- two for the Falcons and one for the Bucs? You'd still have said Atlanta would win 35-10, right?

I would have.

Still, how in the name of Michael Vick did the Falcons lose a second straight game at home? One reason was that Vick's 21 completions didn't have the devastating rhythm of a Peyton Manning. Vick gets hot, goes cold. Hits, misses.

Atlanta's 27 points should have been 40.

But the Falcons also lost because Atlanta's quarterback fumbled twice -- and neither was Vick's fault.

Midway through the first quarter, Vick stumbled as he faded to pass. Though he lay momentarily defenseless, Tampa Bay's Greg Spires was in no mood to play two-hand touch. No, Vick has a way of springing to his feet and squirting free. So Spires fell on him.

Vick thought it was a cheap shot and a criticized the refs for not throwing a 15-yard flag. "I don't know," Vick said, "maybe (the refs) were against us today."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:12 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'm glad Vick said what most Atlanta fans were thinking. The refs turned this into a Bucs home game & allowed the Bucs to play bush league football the entire game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:19 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

The penalties killed us, that's for sure! The unsportsman-like conduct on Rossem was rediculous! We killed ourselves on penalties though, and that's probably the main reason we lost. Opportunities lost because of mishaps and a lack of self control.

Regardless of the result yesterday, I have to say that things are looking VERY GOOD for the offense! Vick made some terrific plays to his WRs, and the running game was good (albeit below average for us). Consistancy is the last piece of the puzzle now. Defense though seems to be digressing a bit. Yardage aside, we gave them too much room and didn't punch em in the mouth.

I look forward to seeing the team's response next time when we head down to Tampa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:43 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I've never seen a team make winning such a complicated thing... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:06 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Said Brooks: "We're going to creep out of here very humbly."

That is the main reason I have given Brooks the credit he always deserved. He has always been a class player in a classless organization. Tampa and the rest of the league knows that yesterday was a sign...it was the extention of last year's Pro Bowl. It was Vick turning into the Jordan-esque dominant player that the NFL has feared the last couple of years. Sunday was Roddy's coming out party, but it was a scary message to the entire league. If this team can put together a truly good defense, the Falcons could be very good for a VERY long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:58 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Capologist wrote:
I've never seen a team make winning such a complicated thing... :lol: :lol:

Yep.. we find ways of losing....

the evil opposite of '02