It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vick is full of himself
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:54 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

on the sideline Knapp is looking at the photos of the previous drives' plays and Vick is staring off into space.
when interviewed Vick refers to himself in the third person.
he's so wrapped in proving critics wrong about his passing skills he hurts the team by not running the ball when there are glaring opportunities.

i've always made excuses for the way Vick has played because he has won games. i'm not making excuses for him anymore. he needs to eat a piece of humble pie if we are going to go anywhere in the playoffs this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:21 pm 

Only problem is Vick had his best passing day ever.

Post subject: Re: Vick is full of himself
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:10 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

GSUTeke wrote:
he's so wrapped in proving critics wrong about his passing skills he hurts the team by not running the ball when there are glaring opportunities.

You know what, I can honestly say this is not true at all. I remember one specific play where Vick had a nice lane up the middle for about 15 easy yards. At the last second he looked downfield and found Roddy White for 50+ yards over the top. If you've spent so much time defending him, why are you attacking him now after he completely owned the team that had completely owned him for years? Vick is always staring off when they look at those pictures man. He's trying to get the previous plays out of his head & sometimes it's not easily done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:15 pm 

I think it is also safe to say that Incomp is the only person on this board to really defend Vick through thick and thin.

I'm starting to get on the band wagon with more consistent passing performances. Amazingly enough when Vick puts up good passing numbers the Falcons lose. Defies logic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:41 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

it seems like a catch 22 for vick at this point. bad passing and a lot of running equal wins but derision for not passing. good passing and the defense plays awful and you lose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:01 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

he hurts the team by not running the ball

Oh......my.......God

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:06 pm 

vickisthebest wrote:
he hurts the team by not running the ball

Oh......my.......God

Lol... And to think a few weeks ago we were arguing about how he isn't a good enough passer. Now that he proves that he can be a good passer he isn't running enough.

Unfortunately for Vick an DeAngelo Hall they will have to live up to standards that no one can obtain. For Vick we want him to pass for 250+ yards a game while also rushing for 100+ yards. For DeAngelo Hall we want to see 6 to 10 INT's a year and completely shutdown ever receiver he plays against.

Personally... I'd be happy if Vick could consistently hit 55% and 200 yards with 1 or 2 TD's and no INT's while doing his best scrambling. As for DeAngelo Hall he's been up and down this year. It's hard to set a benchmark for a DB outside of saying "Play like this guy."

Post subject: Vick/Knapp are full of themselves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:16 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Vick HURTS us by not running the ball.

those incomplete passes make us throw the ball on 2nd and 3rd down, running downs for us if the offense is running appropriately.

you show me a game Vick throws for 250 yards in and i'll show you a loss nine times out of ten. our offense is predicated on running the ball. when we get away from that we lose football games. we got away from running the ball because we were passing it so damn much in the first half. Vick was 4 of 15 at one point in the first half. Vick had all those passing yards because we got down 13 to 0 early.

of the 11 incompletions he threw in the first half a year ago he would have tucked 4 of those times. that's my point on proving the critics wrong. if he'd have run the ball we would have 2nd or 3rd and manageable vs 2nd or 3rd and 10. drive killers.

and i changed the subject to Vick/Knapp because Knapp is half to blame for the play calling. we are getting away from what makes us successful. i can see a master plan to make the offense more balanced and i'm all for that, however it can't cost us a playoff spot in the meantime.

the bottom line is i want to see the team win, i could care less about stats. i see an overall below average product being placed on the field right now. something must change if we are to play within this division as the season winds down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:17 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

well the run game never really got going all that well yesterday and we were playing catch up from 5 minutes into the game...when you're down 10 points you have to get away from the run game...

why is everyone (not just here, but everywhere I've seen) talking like yesterday was the offenses fault...hell we put up 440 yards...we need to do something about this defense...I know we didn't allow a TON of yards, but it seems like anyone with two feet can run the ball on us...if we allow a team to run at will every game the rest of the year then we are in trouble...we don't have to totally shut down the run game, but giving up 6 yards on first down every time the opponent has the ball is not going to win us many games regardless of what Vick does...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:34 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Sorry but we didn't lose the last two games because of Vick's great passing numbers. We've lost the last two games because we can't stop the run consistently and turnovers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:59 am 

Capologist wrote:
Sorry but we didn't lose the last two games because of Vick's great passing numbers. We've lost the last two games because we can't stop the run consistently and turnovers...

I agree with Cappy. I'm not going into it any further then that. I do find it hilarious that people are now getting on Vick's ass because he isn't running enough or at the right times. Like Vickis said.... Oh, My, God.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:35 am 
Role Player
Role Player

It's a screwy game. I knew Vick would get the passing attack together (I wasn't sure it would be this season, per the Steve Young comments). I thought that once the passing attack hit full steam, the Falcons would put up St Louis Rams (5 years ago) type offensive numbers and dominate.

Just when I think I know the game, I realize how complex it really is. Turnovers and penalties have taken a huge toll against this team. I like the "dirty bird", but the offense needs to remain poised. A run first team can't face too many 1st and 15's or 2nd and 20's.

The defense needs to find a way to turn the opposing offenses 1 dimensional. They did such a great job of this last year. We need to close the gaps in the defensive formation. We're spreading out too far, offering up too many large holes.

Who knows? I only hope that when the Defense figures out how to stop the run, we'll start turning those W's again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:09 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

anyone who thinks we've got a playoff caliber defense, or have since the beginning of this year for that matter needs to have their head examined.
we've got the classic bend but don't break defense that allows teams to pile up yards but holds teams to a low enough score to let the offense win it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:31 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Vick is just learning to stop pulling the ball down and running with it, ala Culpepper and McNabb. This took these two QBs a few years to get down, and the same is happening with Vick.

Do you guys think he looks indecisive out there? That's what I keep hearing from the announcers, but I don't seem to agree.

Post subject: Vick
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Hey Dirty, I think I defended Vick right along side Incomp when everyone was all about his bad passing four weeks ago. I have had to stay away from this board because I just knew someone would have the stones to start complaining that Vick wasn't running enough and that he should tone down the passing game. Sure enough, I come on today and there it is.

I tried to tell people after that New England loss to rethink passing, but nobody would listen. Schaub 298/3TD/0INTS = Loss. Vick 301/2TD/0INTS = Loss. We run the football for a reason, to keep our crappy defense off the field! Contolling the clock last year helped our D more than anyone is saying. You go pass happy and then our opponent goes pass/run/score happy cause our D is exposed AND tired which makes them even worse. Ed Jasper? Really? Whoever thinks he was the key to last years D is 'touched'.

Still, having said that, I have enjoyed watching Vick pass, and have enjoyed watching people catch tough passes for the first time all season these last few weeks. We are turnover happy (fumbles) these last three weeks and that is what really has killed us. This is a solid team with an offense that is learning just what it can do. Sure, I would like to see TJ used more. I like the Jenks/R. White combo. What can be said about the D?... well, I doubt we will win a title with the players we have, but they have shown some spunk now and then. Tampa only scored 23 offensive points, and 3 of those were on that last fumble which they held the Bucs pretty much in place.

Anyway, nice to see all you guys again and I hope our string of bad luck stops on Thanksgiving. Well, we do know one thing... Vick doesn't lose on Monday Night, so maybe he will have the same luck on Thursday.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:37 pm 

Not trying to leave people out of the Vick defense team. :) Incomp just stood out in my mind.