It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Fooball Talk says Aaron Brooks backup Vick next yr!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:22 am 

BROOKS IS DONE

In a move that likely is coming at least one year too late, we're told that the Saints plan to part ways after the season with quarterback Aaron Brooks.

Brooks became an instant star in the Bayou five years ago, after starter Jeff Blake suffered a broken leg. The former Virginia Cavalier, in only his second NFL season, led the Saints to the playoffs and engineered the first (and only) postseason win in club history. Brooks then staved off a healthy Blake in 2001 for the starting job.

Since then, however, Brooks has yet to fulfill the promise of his debut season. His passer rating never has been higher than 88.5, and he currently is at 66.5 through nine games in 2005. His career mark is below 80.

Next year, his salary jumps to $6.25 million. There's a chance, as we see it, that the team could offer him an opportunity to compete for the job at a reduced salary, but our guess is that Brooks will turn his nose up at the suggestion that he take a pay cut, and instead try to find a better deal on the open market.

One possible landing spot for Brooks might be as a backup is Atlanta. He and starter Michael Vick are cousins, and the Wizard of Valtrex might not be thrilled with the hype that current No. 2 Matt Schaub is generating. It's no huge stretch to envision Vick lobbying owner Arthur Blank to get value for Schaub in trade, and then to bring in cousin Aaron to serve as the understudy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:12 pm 

That isn't possible based on the articles own logic. They state that Brooks will not take a pay cut and would rather be released. So there is no way on gods green earth will Brooks come to Atlanta and make far less here then he could have after a pay cut in New Orleans.

It would be nice to have Brooks as a backup but he won't be cheap enough nor will he want to sit behind Vick. There is a team somewhere that will give him money (Miami and New York come to the top of my mind).

Post subject: Re: Pro Fooball Talk says Aaron Brooks backup Vick next yr!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:37 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

thescout wrote:
One possible landing spot for Brooks might be as a backup is Atlanta.

And dirtybirdnw said: It would be nice to have Brooks as a backup.

I for one hope you're both wrong, wrong, wrong!

I live in Biloxi and am inundated with Saints propoganda and often I am forced to watch them on the tube (less often now since I got rid of my Saints fan GF <S>) and can tell you he isn't the answer. We're better off with Schaub in my opinion.

Dennis