It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bayless article on t.o.:insecurity
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:52 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i think the article gets at t.o.'s mindset quite accurately. it all comes down to insecurity.

"Beneath all of T.O.'s outrageous egomania still lurks a shy, late bloomer from Alexander City, Ala., who wasn't heavily recruited out of high school and who went higher in the draft (third round) than most experts projected. Owens has never quite been comfortable with being the can't-get-enough-of-him star he so badly wants to be."

As Walsh said in 2002: "What's so perplexing is that he doesn't get in any of the usual off-the-field trouble. He's as sharp in meetings as any player I've seen -- he knows his assignments and everyone else's. But just when you think he's ready to become a truly elite player, he just self-destructs."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ess/051110

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:24 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

It's definitely a possibility. I think the better possibility is that TO, as a top tier NFL player, has trouble accepting mediocrity. He doesn't understand how McNabb could be tired in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. He didn't understand how Garcia went from putting up great seasons to playing like an average NFL QB. This has always been an issue with great players & is why most of them don't end up being coaches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:36 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well T.O. was criticizing Garcia when he was a Pro Bowl QB. And his criticisms of Garcia if you could call them that, were more personal attacks than criticisms of what he did on the field.

We can try and psycho-analyze T.O. all we want, but I think he is driven solely by himself. He has a very short-sighted view of what his legacy is going to be. He wants the stats that is going to say, "Look everyone, T.O. caught this many passes and TDs, so therefore he's the greatest WR of all-time."

At least Chad Johnson tries to win in Cincinnati for both himself and the fans. T.O. is a great player, and on his good days he's as good if not better than any WR that has ever played the game.

And for whatever reason, T.O. seems to think that because of this, the world should be served up to him on a silver platter, instead of him having to go out there and do his best to conquer the world himself.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:11 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Here's what I think:

I think TO is not sharp enough to edit what he wants to say. For example, most semi-intelligent players would've taken the question, "Would you be undefeated with Brett Favre at QB?" and provided an answer without hurting either DMac's or Favre's feelings.

Because he's not very quick-witted, he doesn't realize when he's being an a**. He doesn't understand the difference between standing up for what you think is right and simply being a jackass.

And when it backfires, he's too proud to say, "I'm sorry" so he passes it off as just being "real."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:36 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

mwjr wrote:
Here's what I think:

I think TO is not sharp enough to edit what he wants to say. For example, most semi-intelligent players would've taken the question, "Would you be undefeated with Brett Favre at QB?" and provided an answer without hurting either DMac's or Favre's feelings.

Because he's not very quick-witted, he doesn't realize when he's being an a**. He doesn't understand the difference between standing up for what you think is right and simply being a jackass.

And when it backfires, he's too proud to say, "I'm sorry" so he passes it off as just being "real."

I could definitely agree with that. I think Owens is a country boy from Alabama that was raised to be a good person & tell the truth, but along the way he never realized that the NFL doesn't want good people....it wants an image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:52 pm 

You forgot the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tag Comp :)