It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rossum playing possum?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:22 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

during half time i chatted with some of the boys regarding rossum's loss of mojo. everytime they showed him back there to return, i literally moaned, "oh no," though i hoped he'd run one back to make up for his crap play. which is crazy cuz last year i had complete faith in the guy.
it seems like he makes the exact wrong decision everytime these days. when to fair catch, when to let it go... and he's not finding the holes, unless there aren't any to find. there's no way he makes the pro bowl this year. i'm sure they won't replace him with dhall or cobb, because he has the credentials, and it's obviously mental, so they'll probably let him play through his current slump. hope he comes back to form because if he doesn't that's going to really hurt our chances. can u imagine having to march 90 yards on the bucs or panthers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:29 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Hell the Dolphins D is basically just as good as those defenses. The main difference is the Bucs & Panthers have O's that don't go 3 & out on a consistent basis like Miami does. If the receivers keep catching the ball then I fear no defense with Vick taking the snaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:48 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Dolphins defense is very underrated, but I don't think their level of D is going to be on par with that of the Bucs and Panthers. They've seen Vick, they know what they have to do to stop him (it's a matter of execution), so it's not going to be as easy marching 90 yards on those teams as it was against Miami, even though you could argue that their Ds are about equal.

As for Rossum, he is in a current funk. I'm not quite ready to replace him yet, since he usually comes through in the clutch. When this team absolutely needs a spark on special teams to get the offense going, or if the team is about to make a late 4th quarter drive to win, Rossum usually comes through.

But it is interesting to note that Rossum does not have a single 20+ yard punt return this year. He had 8 last year, 7 in 2003, and 5 in 2002.

I've never been a huge fan of Rossum, but his past efforts have earned him somewhat of the right to keep his job. But if this continues for another 2 or 3 games, then DeCamillis is going to have to think really hard about not putting Hall and/or Cobb back there.

My belief is that he is hurt by DeCamillis' lack of aggression on punts especailly. The team hardly goes after punters anymore. And having a deep man back helps by helping picking up a blocker, but unless I'm just totally mistaken, Rossum did just fine in previous years without having a "lead" blocker back there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:48 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge wrote:
The Dolphins defense is very underrated, but I don't think their level of D is going to be on par with that of the Bucs and Panthers. They've seen Vick, they know what they have to do to stop him (it's a matter of execution), so it's not going to be as easy marching 90 yards on those teams as it was against Miami, even though you could argue that their Ds are about equal.

As for Rossum, he is in a current funk. I'm not quite ready to replace him yet, since he usually comes through in the clutch. When this team absolutely needs a spark on special teams to get the offense going, or if the team is about to make a late 4th quarter drive to win, Rossum usually comes through.

But it is interesting to note that Rossum does not have a single 20+ yard punt return this year. He had 8 last year, 7 in 2003, and 5 in 2002.

I've never been a huge fan of Rossum, but his past efforts have earned him somewhat of the right to keep his job. But if this continues for another 2 or 3 games, then DeCamillis is going to have to think really hard about not putting Hall and/or Cobb back there.

My belief is that he is hurt by DeCamillis' lack of aggression on punts especailly. The team hardly goes after punters anymore. And having a deep man back helps by helping picking up a blocker, but unless I'm just totally mistaken, Rossum did just fine in previous years without having a "lead" blocker back there.

However, the Fins secondary is overrated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:54 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

mickvick302 wrote:
Pudge wrote:

However, the Fins secondary is overrated

Only slightly. Madison is still an excellent cover 2 corner, same as the Tampa corners, and their safeties are better than either the Bucs or Panthers. Still, I think there is better speed at the linebacker position on both of those teams than Miami has, which is what creates problems for Vick as he can't break those 10-20 yard runs for first downs like he tends to do. Also, the Bucs & Panthers have enough respect for Vick not to go beating on him after the play like Miami did, which was a huge part of a couple of those drives (lots of penalties for roughing, late hit, facemask, etc.).

The biggest thing we have to do against both of those teams is catch the ball & get YAC, which is exactly what we had to do against Miami. I'm not about to sit here & say we will sweep our division games, but 3-1 against those two teams would not surprise me anymore than a loss to the Saints the next time we play them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:08 pm 
Starter
Starter

I'm not off the bandwagon but I am near the door. Rossum just doesn't seem himself and seems to be fair catching a lot or just running right into defenders. We can't hope to continue sustaining 80-90 yd drives with poor starting field position like we did Sunday.