It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons sign 2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Looks like the birds picked up Safety Antuan Edwards and LB Artie Ulmer. I have been wondering what happened to Ulmer ever since last season. There was absolutely nothing on the AF.com website about him being waived, traded, cut, etc. I know Hartwell picked up his #50, but why didn't we ever hear anything about our Special Teams Captain from a year ago getting sent away? I think it is good to have him back as I have seen way too many penalties from Ike Reese (our new ST Captain) and maybe our STs will get a shot in the arm.

Also, ANY safety help will be good for our secondary. :o

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:56 pm 

Artie was a free agent this past off-season and was never re-signed until now. I think Artie was going to retire but cameback when the team needed him.

Antuan Edwards isn't a bad band-aid fix for now. He has seven career interceptions, three sacks, and 38 PD's. He's more a coverage safety then either Scott or Carpenter. Something tells me that if Carp has a bad game he's going to meet the bench and Edwards will replace him.

Best part about Edwards is he has potential to be a breakout player. He's a former 1st round pick and he's only 28 so there is plenty of tread left on those wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:07 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

how long did we sign him for?

Edwards that is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:39 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

LB help and Safety help....good pickups, for some experienced players. I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:30 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Quote:
Falcons Sign Ulmer & Antuan Edwards
Wed Nov 2, 2005

The Atlanta Falcons' official website reports the Falcons have signed LB Artie Ulmer and S Antuan Edwards.

I actually liked Edwards but injuries has kept him from developing into the corner he was projected to be when the Packers drafted him with their first round pick that year to help slow down Culpepper/Moss. I thought he did a decent job for us but fell out of favor midway through last year when he made a couple mental mistakes by being out of position.

Phinfever Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:43 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I'm actually excited about these signings. I think they will make a big impact on our team's success. Here's why I think so:

1) Ulmer is a solid STs guy who will free up others to focus on their primary roles as starters. He will also bring experience and leadership to our STs that will enable them to be that much better. STs can win games for you, and we are going to need that area to be stable and making a difference for us for the remainder of the season.

2) Edwards gives us an experienced coverage safety that can spell Carpenter. Keon hasn't done a great job yet this year, and it might help him to have a decent backup to come in, give him a rest, and keep up the same level of play. This will go a long way towards having stronger DB play the rest of the season.

Most folks will say these guys are going to only provide better depth, but I think they will play bigger roles that. If they can come right in and start making a contribution soon (we know Artie will), we could see some real improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:53 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Antuan Edwards is still in the league?

The Packers had hopes for him and Donatell is familiar with him. He is hard to quantify. He played corner and safety in college. He is too slow for CB and not quite enough of a tackler to be safety and he doesn't get position for INT's.

He can bounce around the league as a 3rd-5th Safety on a team until someone cheaper and better is acquired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:11 pm 

Sadly Edwards is now an upgrade from Carpenter. Keion was one of my favorite player stood. Damn injuries.