It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pats looking to deal with Vikes where is Mckay?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:47 pm 

Mckay needs to get on the phones and talk to the Vikings.The Vikes may be interested in shipping Chavous or Winfield.The Pats know they need help and will be out to make trades what is Mckay doing to help the falcon's sure up the defense's weaknesses?

CHANGES COMING FOR PATS?

A league source tells us that Patriots coach Bill Belichick could be shaking up the roster in the wake of Sunday's 28-20 loss at Denver, the third straight game in which the Pats have given up 28 or more points.

Belichick, we're told, considered making changes on the defensive side of the ball following an October 2 home loss to the Chargers. A 31-28 win at Atlanta won the defense a temporary reprieve.

But with another 28 points surrendered through an assortment of long plays, the expectation now is that Belichick will commission V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli to start scouring the shelf for some guys who can help provide an upgrade on defense, especially in the secondary. We hear that the moves could include an effort to swing a trade for a corner or a safety prior to the October 18 trade deadline.

One team that might want to consider a fire sale is the ice-cold Vikings. Cornerback Antoine Winfield received $10.5 million when he joined the team in 2004, but since the money was in the form of a roster bonus, the Vikes would incur no cap charge if they ship Winfield out of town.

In return, the Vikes could snag some draft picks, which could then be used by the new front office for the new coaching staff in an effort to add some new guys who aren't turds.

Another possibility for the Vikings would be to trade safety Corey Chavous, who's in the final year of his contract with the team.

So don't be surprised if the Pats are looking to do some bidness before the trade deadline -- and don't be shocked to learn that the Vikings might be willing to help New England provide some of the talent for which the Pats are searching, and that they likely won't find available elsewhere

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:59 pm 

The Pats are forced to make moves to stay on top since they are the defending champs. In turn not following the formula they have developed to become the best team in the NFL. If they walk too far off the path in regards to personnel they will fall from the ranks of NFL titans.

The Falcons are not in that position nor are they in a position cap wise to take on salary. I can't really condone making panic trades quite yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:59 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

They should have never let Ty Law go. Good corners are hard to find & they're replacing a Pro Bowl corner with a decent corner just cuz they didn't want to pay him. Lawyer Milloy I sort of understand but Ty Law is a horse of a different breed.

Post subject: Falcon's should still have money left from Peerless Price
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:44 pm 

If the Vikiings asked for a 3rd rounder from the falcon's and the falcon's were to sign Corey Chavous since he is a free agent would you do it? I think as bad as are safeties have played I would.Scott and Carpenter are not championshp material from what they have shown.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Falcon's should still have money left from Peerless Pric
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

thescout wrote:
If the Vikiings asked for a 3rd rounder from the falcon's and the falcon's were to sign Corey Chavous since he is a free agent would you do it? I think as bad as are safeties have played I would.Scott and Carpenter are not championshp material from what they have shown.

Too much to give up, especially with the possiblity off losing him for nothing after the season. That being said, we should nake a run at him in the off season assuming he will pass the Falcon Filter, ie was he part of the "love boat" fiasco?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:32 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

No, he's almost 30 years old and quickly moving into the twilight of his career. We need to draft a big time safety or find a younger one in the league somewhere. Since it takes DT's awhile to become effective run stoppers I think we should try to sign one this offseason while waiting on Shrop to develop, and spend our draft picks on a S, CB, and DE. We need more speed in the secondary and another big DE like Brady Smith to pick up where he leaves off after this year. While we COULD win a Super Bowl with this team, I don't think we have the players to make a dynasty run at this point & that is what the team should be aiming for.

Post subject: At this point maybe best to sign free agent
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:09 am 

Considering it would take a new player at least a few weeks to understand the falcon's defense,giving up the 3rd round pick maybe we should wait to the off season? Also consider whoever could be drafted could be a bust.Remember Ernest Shazor I don't think he even made any team yet we were or most of us were high on him before the draft.At least if we sign a free agent we pretty much know what we get unlike Hartwell who could be a peerless price type of signing.Chavous has been good for a long time but plays on a bad team.I think Chavous is a strong safety and Bryon Scott is no free safety.Oops Carpenter is playing free safety,we need a ball hawk back there that can cover,intercept and tackle.

I agree we need another def end,def tackle unless we develop one,corner.I would not hesitate though if a running back fell to the falcon's no1 pick to draft one even though dunn has played great.Remember Stephen Jackson dropping maybe we get lucky.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:17 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah I would love it if we could sign a good ball hawking FS to help our corners over the top, but I don't think Chavous is the answer at all. I think we're looking at a rebuild of the defense at this point, luckily our new LB's are world beaters. It seems like nowadays a good team can get young corners & safeties & they have instant success because it is one of the most athletically demanding positions on the field, so young, fast, agile guys can step right in & do well. Look at Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, and others. If I had my choice I would get Ko Simpson to come out early & take him in the first round, but I know nobody would agree with me on that. He reminds me a lot of Ed Reed with his nose for the ball, his hands just aren't quite as good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:01 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I like Chavous as a player, but right now he's not the type of player this team needs. We need a tough run defending safety IMHO.

Chavous is more a coverage safety, but is losing that ability in his old age.

What this team needs is an enforcer across the middle, that isn't going to be juked out of his socks or miss tackles (as Scott and Carpenter have done too often this year), but also won't be too much of a liability in coverage.

Profile E-mail