Breaking News: Falcons suck again

All things related to the Atlanta Falcons, NFL and pro football related.
Davewaz

Breaking News: Falcons suck again

Postby Davewaz » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:39 pm

:shock: We have now lost 4 out of 5 all to teams with losing records at the time we played the game, Ryan is having his worst season yet, Freeman is concussed, our coaches can't adjust, and we get the Vikings next week.................

AngryJohnny51

Re: Breaking News: Falcons suck again

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:31 am

I guess I know why Shanahan is on his 5th team in 7 years. Terrible.

Quinn will get another year, but I'm starting to doubt whether he has what it takes to be head coach material.

Pudge
Site Admin

Postby Pudge » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:08 am

AngryJohnny51 wrote:I guess I know why Shanahan is on his 5th team in 7 years. Terrible.

Quinn will get another year, but I'm starting to doubt whether he has what it takes to be head coach material.

Ooooooooor, the head coach can't compensate for the years upon years upon years of bad drafting like so many people insisted he could a year ago when Mike Smith was the head coach.

The Falcons are underachieving, but perhaps the solution to every issue isn't firing the coach. Maybe the solution to their problem is just to make better personnel moves, and not just for 1 offseason, but for 4 or 5.

AngryJohnny51

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:39 am

Pudge wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:I guess I know why Shanahan is on his 5th team in 7 years. Terrible.

Ooooooooor, the head coach can't compensate for the years upon years upon years of bad drafting like so many people insisted he could a year ago when Mike Smith was the head coach.

The Falcons are underachieving, but perhaps the solution to every issue isn't firing the coach. Maybe the solution to their problem is just to make better personnel moves, and not just for 1 offseason, but for 4 or 5.

I agree with you....to a certain extent. We could use more talent. But we have enough talent on offense to be better than what we're showing. That falls squarely on Shanahan in my opinion. One of this teams strengths is running the no huddle. We don't do it because Shanahan doesn't "like" it? Please. The playoff hope is fading fast....Quinn and company must do everything it takes to win, including game planning to your own teams strengths........

Pudge
Site Admin

Postby Pudge » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:02 pm

Fair enough. But what happens if they don't make those adjustments? What then? Keep firing coaches until we find someone that will?

They started with the no-huddle early on Sunday. It didn't work much on the opening drives. But there was more no-huddle and deep passing early in the game, which seemed to work well in the 1st half. They went away from it in the 2nd half and the obvious response is "why didn't they stick with what was working?!" Well, one answer is that speeding up the game (rather than slowing it down) is not a great strategy when you're up 2 scores midway through the 3rd quarter. It's kinda of counterintuitive to run the no-huddle when you're winning 21-7.

So then what happened after that point? The Colts scored, then Falcons turned the ball over twice, which led to 7 more Colts points. Then when they could've turned to in the final 10 minutes of the game, the run game was garbage, the pass protection broke down, WRs dropped passes and Ryan missed throws. Is running the no huddle going to fix all those issues?

AngryJohnny51

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:11 am

But what happens if they don't make those adjustments? What then? Keep firing coaches until we find someone that will?

I'm not talking about firing Quinn. He's going to get a few years at least....unless he really really goes all Joe Philban. Shanahan is another story....Other teams are on to his schemes and tendencies already. I don't see him trying to adjust, do you? I think what he's trying to do can work, but the in game adjustments are lacking. At times he still tries to get that round peg through that square hole.

They started with the no-huddle early on Sunday. It didn't work much on the opening drives. But there was more no-huddle and deep passing early in the game, which seemed to work well in the 1st half. They went away from it in the 2nd half and the obvious response is "why didn't they stick with what was working?!" Well, one answer is that speeding up the game (rather than slowing it down) is not a great strategy when you're up 2 scores midway through the 3rd quarter. It's kinda of counterintuitive to run the no-huddle when you're winning 21-7.

Orrrr, you can keep your foot on the gas and keep putting up points! You just described "going conservative" to a "T". We don't have the defense to lock other teams down....keep the hammer down....it's okay to embarrass other teams, they get paid to try and stop you. If they can't, oh well.

And as a side note, Matt Ryan needs to pull his head out and stop talking about turning the ball over and actually go out and do it.

The Mattural

Postby The Mattural » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:52 pm

All of this doesn't matter the Falcons will only go as far as Matt Ryan can take them. As long as he is looking like Matt Schuab and not Matt Ryan this team will lose. I do agree about keeping the pedal to the medal. If the Pats are up 21-7 Final score will be 48-24 they are not slowing down when something is working. Isn't that the whole idea to make them stop you and then when they adjust you attack the new opening?

Pudge
Site Admin

Postby Pudge » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:51 am

AngryJohnny51 wrote:I don't see him trying to adjust, do you?

Part of the issue is that the cop-out excuse for every Falcons loss is that the play-calling was bad. Since there are less posters here, we don't have folks like RobertAP (who basically blamed the same thing after every loss for 5 years) to do that this week. But it's no different now.

In-game adjustments? He did adjust. He slowed things down in the 2nd half. It seemed to work just fine on the opening drive. Then let's break down the next few series

1. 1 play, Coleman's FUMBLE. Was lack of adjustments to blame there?
2. 3&out. Ryan looks for easy completion over the middle on 3rd&8 to Tamme, which is well covered. Then doesn't connect on a sideline throw to Hankerson (it happens).
3. 1 play. Pick Six on a bad decision. Was lack of adjustments to blame there?
4. 5&out. Ryan's timing off with Jones on 3rd&8 on an out pattern (it happens)
5. 3&out. 3rd&15, Colts bring blitz with a stunt up middle (Person whiffs) and Colts get a hit on Ryan, who has to check it down to Ward to avoid sack, who gets stopped after 11 yards. Was lack of adjustments to blame there or Mike Person?
6. Final drive, which included a bad Hankerson drop, bad protection on a blitz with a free rusher that nailed Ryan on 2nd down and then Julio's "drop" on what could have been the miracle play at the end.

Explain to me how Shanahan's "inability to adjust" was the problem on Sunday. Explain why the problem isn't a lack of execution.

I hear it now, "Welll, maybe it wasn't that much of an issue this week, but it certainly has been a problem in past weeks."

For the sake of your sanity, let's pretend that statement is indeed true. And the reason why the Falcons lost to the 49ers and Bucs before the bye was 100% because Shanahan didn't adjust and nothing to do with bad clock management/4th&goal decision-making by the head coach or turnovers and a lack of deep routes.

So what's the solution? Fire Shanahan? Bring in another offensive coordinator that is going to make those in-game adjustments and will run the perfect scheme and suddenly make Matt Ryan into a different quarterback than he's ever been, will be able to overcome the fact that the Falcons don't have a No. 2 receiver, will be able to overcome the center's inability to identify and diagnose blitzes, will be able to make Dan Quinn not call a 4th & goal FG down 4 points in the final 3 minutes of the game, will be able to stop the turnovers, etc.

And what happens if that new OC doesn't do any of those things? You fire him too after one year? And you have a revolving door at that position and thus make Matt Ryan have to relearn a new offense every year because you have the ridiculously dumb expectations that there should never be a period of transition/adjustment for a quarterback and play-caller and that maybe, just maybe Shanahan only has 30% of the pieces he's looking for/needs to run a successful offense...

Return to “The Huddle”