It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do at MLB & CB?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:22 am 

Well now that we are missing two more players for the season what should we do in their stead? I know everyone is going to say start Ike Reese. I don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter the rest of the season. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think Reese is the answer.

Personally I'd like to see Boley get more reps at MLB and maybe even platoon him with Reese the rest of the way. I do think we'll sign at least one veteran linebacker for an insurance policy here. Reese could breakdown with too many snaps.

As far as the secondary goes we really should go out and pickup Beas for a one year veteran minimum contract. He was solid for us last year and with both Cash & Mathis out we can use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:35 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

beasley's a good idea. hell i'd take jonte buhl over rossum. oh rossum, why didn't u just look back instead of flailing? not only could have actually reached the ball, when you look back you're a lot less likely to get an int call. guess it was too late.

Post subject: Woe
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Woe to Rossum and his crazy dash... still, I think he was reading the recievers eyes and figured the ball would hit about the same time he did, unfortunatly Brady was getting hit while he threw and the ball was underthrown enough that it was a horrible PI call (meaning he deserved it). *shrug*

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:34 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

so ya thing Brooking is going to see his way back to the middle...I figure he's our best option there since he'd be better than Boley/Reese....Boley/Reese could fill in at WLB...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:42 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Rossum is fastest man in the NFL, how does he get beat like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:32 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

because he has no business playing in coverage....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:17 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Steve-O wrote:
so ya thing Brooking is going to see his way back to the middle...I figure he's our best option there since he'd be better than Boley/Reese....Boley/Reese could fill in at WLB...

I think we will be starting Brooking there as well. I would like to see Boley starting opposite of Demo and let Reese serve as the primary backup to all three of them. Cash and Leake could play as secondary backups. Man...we really need to find ourselves a free agent LB...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:16 am 

ether3917 wrote:
Cash and Leake could play as secondary backups. Man...we really need to find ourselves a free agent LB...

Except that Cash is done for the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:17 am 

What will be interesting is to see how this defense operates without Hartwell. We were actually better with Draft in the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:32 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

in retrospect maybe we should have kept draft and jasper. it was enough to have a top ten rushing defense last year. neither were great alone but they obviously did well in the system. we should have kept both and got a cb. hindsights a bitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:00 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't want to see Brooking moved to the middle. If Hartwell has a problem taking on fullbacks and TEs, wait until you see Brooking try to handle it. I think for the time being we stick with Ike Reese. If the run defense struggles excessively this week, then maybe we see what Brooking can do in the middle. But right now, allowing 125 yards this week is actually an improvement over last week.

As for CB, I guess we'll have to settle for Rossum/Morton. Beasley is strictly a zone corner, and basically is more a safety than cornerback at this point in his career. Here are some of the better available free agents:

Ashley Ambrose
Kris Richard
Pete Hunter
Artrell Hawkins
Todd McMillon
Mario Edwards
Kevin Garrett

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:56 pm 

Edwards would be worth a nod. He was a consistent start for Dallas but fell off the map for Tampa.

I'd like to see a platoon of Reese/Boley in the middle instead of just starting Reese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:08 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

If Brooking can't hold up in the middle do you think an older, smaller Ike Reese can? I didn't get to see the game Sunday so I don't know he Ike played in Hartwell's absense but cold logic would suggest that he isn't a fit there...I am really starting to wish we had never cut Chris Draft now....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:46 pm 

Antoine Cash to start at MLB??? Here is CBS' take:

As far as being a long-term solution, Reese might serve the team better as a backup because of the important roles he has on special teams.

That means rookie Antoine Cash, who made the final cut as an un-drafted free agent, will get a look in the middle. He was inactive the last couple of weeks with a groin injury, but has played only on special teams. Rookie Michael Boley, a fifth-round draft choice and a teammate of Cash's at Southern Mississippi, is better suited to play on the weak side.

Head coach Jim Mora met Monday with his veteran linebackers to gauge where they believe they can best help the defense in San Antonio Sunday. Atlanta certainly catches a break; playing the Saints after they've lost star running back Deuce McAllister for the rest of the season.

"What we have to do is consider not only the ramifications on defense but also special teams," Mora said. "Those guys do play a big part in our special teams packages. We have not made any decisions yet. We are just kind of hashing it out. I want to talk to Keith, Ike, Demorrio and Michael. I want to get their input and feeling, and then we will decide. We will go forward with what we think is the best decision to help us win both on defense and special teams."

Vick's status remains uncertain. Whether he plays or not against the struggling Saints is likely to depend on whether he can practice by Thursday.

Cash is 6'1" 223lbs and was Boley's roommate at S. Miss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:21 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Antoine Cash to start at MLB??? Here is CBS' take:

As far as being a long-term solution, Reese might serve the team better as a backup because of the important roles he has on special teams.

That means rookie Antoine Cash, who made the final cut as an un-drafted free agent, will get a look in the middle. He was inactive the last couple of weeks with a groin injury, but has played only on special teams. Rookie Michael Boley, a fifth-round draft choice and a teammate of Cash's at Southern Mississippi, is better suited to play on the weak side.

Head coach Jim Mora met Monday with his veteran linebackers to gauge where they believe they can best help the defense in San Antonio Sunday. Atlanta certainly catches a break; playing the Saints after they've lost star running back Deuce McAllister for the rest of the season.

"What we have to do is consider not only the ramifications on defense but also special teams," Mora said. "Those guys do play a big part in our special teams packages. We have not made any decisions yet. We are just kind of hashing it out. I want to talk to Keith, Ike, Demorrio and Michael. I want to get their input and feeling, and then we will decide. We will go forward with what we think is the best decision to help us win both on defense and special teams."

Vick's status remains uncertain. Whether he plays or not against the struggling Saints is likely to depend on whether he can practice by Thursday.

Cash is 6'1" 223lbs and was Boley's roommate at S. Miss.

Cash is too small to play MLB. Bottom line is Brooking is the only remaining guy on our roster who is big enough to play MLB. In my opinion, we have no choice but to move Brooking there. I have liked the way Boley played in the preaseason and would like to see his speed on the field...although, im sure he would make more than his share of mistakes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:54 am 

As I'm sure a few of your girlfriends have said to you in the past, size doesn't matter :twisted:

Brooking sucks at the point of attack, and it doesn't matter if he is 245 or 270 pounds, if he can't take on blocks, he's not going to last in the middle. Our DTs aren't the type that are like Sam Adams/Siragusa that are going to eat up 3-4 blockers at a time. FBs and TEs and Cs have had free shots at Hartwell all year long, and its been a major contributor to why our run defense has struggled.

Among the "good" linebackers in the league, Brooking is probably one of the worst when it comes to taking on and shedding blockers. That's why he was moved to WLB, because at that position he is allowed to chase the football, and IMO Brooking only contributes to this defense when allowed to chase.

Reese is much better at the point of attack, and can actually shed blocks. Reese may not be as big as Brooking, but he's just as strong if not stronger. The question I have is if Ike is durable enough to start 11 games at MLB. THat's the only time actual size becomes a factor. But then again, Demorrio Williams is one of our smallest LBs and he has no problems whatsoever.

Brooking is totally neutralized when he's not allowed to chase the football, thus all the criticism he garnered when he played MLB and ILB for 3 years (2001-03) here.

Hartwell was the one guy at LB that would really hurt if we lost him. WIthout Beck backing him up, we lack a true MLB. But I think with the players we have left, Reese is our best option. He's not perfect, but in terms of what we want our MLBs to do, I think he's a better fit than Brooking.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:58 am 

Size isn't a major issue considering Chris Draft did an admirable job and is considered small at 5'11" 232lbs and arguable has been our best middle backer in recent history.

I'm fairly certain we will see a platoon at MLB and it will likely be Reese/Cash or Reese/Boley.