It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Week 3 game breakdown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:16 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Here's what I saw:

Offense:

Run was hit and miss and mostly because Buffalo run blitzed a lot.

Breakdown of passes: Of 12 incompletions, 5 were bad passes (1 being an INT), 2 passes dropped by Finneran, 1 Other (which was thrown away to avoid a sack, so a good decision) and 4 passes were defended. All in all, a very good performance by Vick.

Sack responsibility: NONE!!!! Blitzes were either picked up well or allowed to come through setting up screens and dump-offs. Vick also picked these up very well using screens and runs to beat the blitzes. Great job ball all involved.

Pass blocking: Very nice.

Defense:

Run defense up the gut was a problem again. Our LB's were 3 to 4 yards behind the d-line and by the time they reached the line, the guards and TE's were already stepping up to block them out of the play. Not sure if it's getting used to each other or what but this MUST get fixed.

Pass coverage on WR's was very good ESPECIALLY considering what we were up against injury-wise. There were some penalties that set up Buffalo scores but all in all, a very good job. D. Hall playing with a sore shoulder was absolutely gutting it out and to come out with an INT was even better.

D-line was very good getting pressure.

Special Teams:

Bryant had a so-so day. Had 1 really bad moment and his other returns were average at best. Punt returns were virtually non-existent except for one where D. Hall tried to do a little to much and coughed it up.

Koenen kicked off very well yet again with 4 great kickoffs. 3 went into the EZ (2 for Touchbacks) and the other went to the 3 yard line. Outstanding job. Punting wasn't as good the first two times but did nail one in the latter stages of the game. Peterson was perfect on the day. Overall, the kicking game was pretty good.

This was an important win for us. Minnesota will be just as important.

Things that really need improvement:

1. Run defense.
2. Run offense consistency.
3. Use the passing game a little more, Vick has earned that right.
4. Consistency in the punt game.

Post subject: Great Analysis Capologist
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:49 am 

Excellent over view of the game Cap! I think Pudge it on the head our def tackles are not winning the battle up front thus the linebackers have to take on tight ends and running blockers before they get to the carrier.I am impressed with Koenen.I got ridiculed over at the Roost for saying he had a good game the first game and now he is proving me right. I would like to see Vick pass just a little more to get our pass vs run ratio to 47-50% pass vs 50-53 run.I know that the run is the bread and butter but the more we pass and quality plays are designed I think we will see the potential of this offense grow dramatically.Instead of the conservative play calling and hoping the defense can stop the other team for the win.the falcon's can play an aggressive type of offense and come back in a hurry on teams.Will just have to see but I can't wait till vick starts connecting down field on his passes to Jenkins and White then defenses won't know what to do to defend Vick and the offense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Cap
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Thanks again Cap, always enjoy reading these.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:29 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Good job Cap...

I am starting to worry a little about our run defense...I noticed the Bills really moved the ball once whenever we let Lavalais and Coleman sit a few plays...

I think if we can fix the run defense and continue to let Vick take some shots in the passing game then we will be in good shape this year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:42 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Steve-O wrote:
I am starting to worry a little about our run defense...I noticed the Bills really moved the ball once whenever we let Lavalais and Coleman sit a few plays...

Last year we had the benefit of rotating Jasper & Lavalais at DT, two good run stoppers. But now our backups are Lake and Babs, both of whom are significantly better pass rushers than run stoppers. Coleman doesn't do much vs. the run, unless he's making a stop in the backfield, so basically it means if we want to consistently stop the run, Lavalais needs to be in there every down. I think it's about time the team tried to work Shropshire in there. He's a widebody compared to the rest of our guys, and right now with Babs/Coleman as a pass-rushing combo, I see no reason why Lake is given time.

thescout wrote:
I think Pudge it on the head our def tackles are not winning the battle up front thus the linebackers have to take on tight ends and running blockers before they get to the carrier.

Yeah, I think that's at the heart of the matter, not winning the battle up front. Getting Brady Smith back should help esp. when it comes to teams running outside on us, but at DT I think our rotation is emphasizing the pass rush a bit too much.

As for Koenen, his punts are starting to show progress. He's getting plenty of practice, since he's tied for the league lead in punts with 18.

Profile E-mail