It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McClure-O-Meter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:06 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

The purpose of this is to show why I want a more physical center. For better or worse, I'll update this each week.

McClure-O-Meter (through week 14)

1 penalty
1 TD Lost2
2 loss on run
1 pass batted down at line by engaged d-lineman
1 missed block that led to a throw away
2 pressure
1 botched snap (did manage to recover it)
3 sacks (1 led to game changing fumble)
2 scheme sacks due to not being able to go 1 on 1

Week 14: 1 QB pressure, fortunately Jenkins was open and Vick found him.

Last edited by Capologist on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Post subject: Re: McClure-O-Meter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Capologist wrote:
The purpose of this is to show why I want a more physical center. For better or worse, I'll update this each week.

McClure-O-Meter (through week 2)

1 penalty
1 TD Lost
1 loss on run
1 scheme sack due to not being able to go 1 on 1

Good info, but this last one is a bit biased due to your hatred of McClure. You can't fault him for the defense having a good scheme, can you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:51 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

It's not biased, I assure ya.

I'm not referring to a defensive scheme, I'm referring to our blocking scheme. On the one in question, Lehr immediately double-teamed McClure's man (which indicates that's what he was supposed to do) a LB shot through the vacated hole. Had the scheme not been designed around McClure's man in that instance, we'd have avoided that sack more than likely...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:44 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I honestly want to see Lehr move into McClure's spot after this season. I think he already has a repour (sp?) with Vick from their VA Tech days. Vick even made the mistake of getting behind Lehr in a practice once. The trick is finding a solid LG to take Lehr's place. Moore and Herndon are not going to cut it anymore. I want to see a good FA or a 1-3 round pick to fill that position. We could get someone who could really become something special because they'd have better athleticism and would benefit from our system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:25 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

How great would it be if the Falcons were able to pick up a free agent like Steve Hutchinson this coming off-season and move Lehr to C to compete with McClure.

Also just to consider, both Tom Nalen and Trey Teague are free agents this upcoming off-season. Both have a lot of experience with Gibbs blocking schemes and are downright better players than McClure. So Cap, don't fret, the Falcons may have a chance very soon to upgrade the center position...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:57 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge, that would be hot! But I would like to see them save the cap room and draft G Setterstrom from MIN. He already knows the zone blocking scheme and is a real stud. I think he'd be a perfect target for ATL in the offseason to move McClure out and Lehr into the C spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:33 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
How great would it be if the Falcons were able to pick up a free agent like Steve Hutchinson this coming off-season and move Lehr to C to compete with McClure.

Also just to consider, both Tom Nalen and Trey Teague are free agents this upcoming off-season. Both have a lot of experience with Gibbs blocking schemes and are downright better players than McClure. So Cap, don't fret, the Falcons may have a chance very soon to upgrade the center position...

I don't want Hutchinson at all after seeing him play against us. He was holding Coleman the entire game & the refs never called it. I have a feeling that if he played for us he would be Bob Whitfield reincarnated because we tend to draw a lot of holding calls due to Vick's style of play & the rep Gibbs' coaching style brings to our line in the NFL's circles.

Teague & Nalen are both good players, but both are near or over 30 years old. After seeing the marked improvement in our line thus far this year I don't consider that an area we need to improve like I did before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:28 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Through the Bucs game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:19 am 

One of the reasons why Gibbs wants smaller linemen is because generally they are much quicker and explosive. Some I believe have advocated the Falcons going after a center like LeCharles Bentley. Bentley is a good player, don't get me wrong, but I think he'd be a bad fit in this scheme.

He definitely possesses the strength to match up with DTs on an island, and is one of the few centers in the league that you can say is strong enough to play OG full-time. But he's not super quick. And one of the things I've noticed a lot is how much Gibbs uses McClure and Lehr to get to the second-level. When you watch some of the big runs by the Falcons this year, you'll often notice that there is a gaping hole int he middle of the field because McClure/Lehr or whoever was blocking a LB out of a play before he even was able to read and react to whether it was a run or pass.

This is a unit that is starting to grow. Sacks are down 29% over the past 4 games than they were over the first 6. Vick's playing better, and the OL is doing a better job at protecting him.

McClure is getting it done in the middle, and right now Matt Lehr is the only guy I'd even consider replacing him with, and that's only if we can get a really solid LG in first. I'd like to see how much more this unit can grow under McClure's leadership before his contract runs out after the '06 season.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:49 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I don't agree that McClure is "getting it done" Pudge. Sure, against teams like Detroit that don't have a legitimate pass rusher on the front 4 we are always going to be just fine. However, when we go against teams with legitimate pass rushers like Tampa, Green Bay, etc. our line struggles because mostly our LT just isn't talented enough to go one on one with someone like Simeon Rice.

IF we had a fairly quick center that is also physically gifted enough to take on a DT one on one then we could kick out Lehr to help Shaffer out.

I think McClure is servicable and okay for a team that has a Walter Jones type tackle but that's not us and not going to be us for a while I hope. The only way you can get a player like that is either pick top 5 or 10 at the luckiest or trade away at least 2 first rounders to get an established player like that. I don't think we'll draft that high again for a while an I know we aren't in position that all we need is one player either...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:13 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Completely up to date!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:55 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

The Carolina Radio announcers were saying McClure was giving away the snap count with his body movement on Sunday......this has been mentioned before - I believe it was the Tampa Game. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:19 pm 

The silent snap count is obvious the way he snaps his head. Subtle he is no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:41 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Interceptor wrote:
The Carolina Radio announcers were saying McClure was giving away the snap count with his body movement on Sunday......this has been mentioned before - I believe it was the Tampa Game. :roll:

It did make Tampa jump a couple of times...but after watching film of it, it's not fooling anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:27 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

It is very possible that Gibbs' scheme is a bad fit for our division. It is a division full of mammoth D-linemen that are very athletic. All I ever hear about is our coaching schemes & how a player will fit into them and I really have to say this. McClure, Lehr, Setterstrom, & these types will not be able to hang with the monsters we have in our division. I think our tackles can hold up somewhat, but we have to get bigger & stronger in the middle or we're gonna get our asses kicked for the next 5-10 years like we did against Carolina. What is even scarier is that while we are debating players vs scheme, Carolina has added the mammoth Jordan Gross and could be adding Max jean-Gilles in this draft. In other words our D-line is looking at some very rough games in the not too distant future, as our O-line has already endured. Jean-Gilles will manhandle anyone under 320 lbs (i.e. Coleman, Lavalais, Lake, etc), and Gross already blanked Kerney this past game for the most part. I'm not saying I know as much as the coaches, but I am saying maybe they don't know everything.