It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scary, but good thought
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:58 pm 

Reading CBS Sportsline I read a comparison of Boley & DeMo. Sportsline calls Boley not just bigger but faster that one Demorrio Williams and they expect him to play his way onto the field just like DeMo did.

CBS Sportsline:
Don't be surprised if WLB Michael Boley plays his way onto the field soon. Nobody thought Williams would do more than play special teams last year, but his forward and horizontal speed were impossible to ignore. Boley, however, is bigger and faster. The Falcons list him behind Keith Brooking on the weak side, but it's realistic that Boley could earn some snaps in nickel situations, just as Williams did in 2004.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:02 pm 

Other Notes:

Chauncey Davis will get 10 to 15 snaps to spell Brady Smith during games. Tonight will be the first time he really faces an all-pro tackle in Jon Runyan.

Babineaux will also look to get 10 to 15 snaps to spell Rod Coleman while Lake will spell Lavalais.

Fast Fact: Michael Koenen lead the NFL during the pre-season in punting yardage at 43.1 yards.

Things to look for: Watch for a McCrary/Griffith backfield when the Falcons want to utilize Griffiths pass catching abilities. Also we will see how good Shaffer is in his second season as the LT starter. He faces N.D. Kalu and Jevon Kearse. If he can keep them from getting on Vick I'm feeling pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:15 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Thats great news. I dont know how many of you guys got to see Southern Miss games last year but I got to see around 6 of their games over the past two years and this guy stuck out like a sore thumb. When I say he was all over the place, I mean HE WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Makes me wonder why he was such a late draft pick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:37 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think this sort of re-emphasizes the "tired" argument that Brooking is not as important to this team as some people think.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Yep I agree Boley may be a star!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:04 pm 

The Brooking backers I understand since Brooking has been a pro bowler and is a local boy but given time on the field and if Boley makes an impact Booking becomes expendable in 2-3 years.Boley must perform to Brooking level so this is key for Brooking to be an impact player in big games.Monday is a big game and I hope Brooking does well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:18 pm 
Starter
Starter

I think the reason why Keith will always be a Falcon is because he is one of the front offices boys and he and Pat Kerney are what kind of people we want. I do know some of Keith's extended family and have met him on more than once and can tell you he is the stand up guy that he is said to be. I just don't think that Boley will be that type of leader or guy Keith is any time soon. And that isn't me knocking Boley but complimenting Keith. And one other point, before it is all said and done I do think that D-Mo will play Saftey for us and not LB, it is just to hard for him to keep his weight up at 230lbs (which still is small for a LB) and Boley would take over the SLB position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:39 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Let's not forget that for every back he can't cover & gives up a big play he also makes some massive plays late in games, even closing a couple games out last year. That kind of heady play cannot be taught, nor should it be underappreciated. I was kinda down on Brook 7 really supported moving him outside but there is no denying his value to the defense. He is the leader.

Post subject: Re: Yep I agree Boley may be a star!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:00 am 
Rookie
Rookie

thescout wrote:
The Brooking backers I understand since Brooking has been a pro bowler and is a local boy but given time on the field and if Boley makes an impact Booking becomes expendable in 2-3 years.Boley must perform to Brooking level so this is key for Brooking to be an impact player in big games.Monday is a big game and I hope Brooking does well.

Brooking will retire a Falcon I believe. If Boley is that faster I wonder about his quickness (safety?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:23 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Boley is a beast. I took note of him in the Bowl game So. Miss had. He's very athletic and will probably push for time very quickly...

Post subject: Re: Yep I agree Boley may be a star!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:56 pm 
Starter
Starter

[quote= "Brooking will retire a Falcon I believe. If Boley is that faster I wonder about his quickness (safety?)."[/quote]

He is quick but he is lineback quick not saftey quick. And despite his size (about 229lbs) he is a extremely good pass rusher and uses his weight very well. Which I think his the main difference between Boley and D-Mo, but D-Mo has showed terrific coverage insticts and is freakishly quick for a LB. Ultimately I do see use moving Williams to FS (our FS's are like most teams SS's) and have Scott at SS. I think that also works out well for us in the way that it will help avoid to much of a log jam at LB (I do think that Beck and Boley both will be stud LB's one day).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:34 am 

Wouldn't DeMo work the SS spot since that is the one we typically blitz from? Scott isn't as fast a DeMo IMO and is better suited overall for the FS position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:52 am 

I don't see either Williams or Boley moving to safety. Mora has shown an affinity for smaller quicker LBs over hte years. Saleem Rasheed in San Fran is the same style player, extremely fast. McKay is clearly hearkening back to his days in TB, in which they prefered speed over size at linebacker. This is no mere coincidence:

Derrick Brooks 6-0/235
Hardy Nickerson 6-2/230
Shelton Quarles 6-1/225
Jamie Duncan 6-1/238
Al Singleton 6-2/236

Demorrio Williams 6-0/232
Jordan Beck 6-2/231
Michael Boley 6-2/228

The only real differences between our LBs and the Bucs is that we have a noted run stuffer in the middle with Hartwell, but its clear we prefer lots of speed on the outside. And the team is grooming Beck to take over for Ed in the future.

Brooking is a leader, but he's not vocal. And IMO, those are the types of leaders that are teh easiest to replace. Brooking, himself has said he leads by example and does his leading out on the field. IMO, if you replace that production on the field, then you replace the leader.

Assuming, Williams or Boley can have 100+ tackle seasons, then I think Brooking is replaceable. But I don't want to give the misconception that I think Brooking should be replaced, particularly in the near future. I'm just stating that he is replaceable.

We're not at the point yet, but within the next year or two, I think if Brooking (God forbid) went down with a season-ending injury early on and Boley/Williams were forced to fill in, the defense really wouldn't miss a beat. But again, we are probably 2 or so years from that point.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:58 pm 
Starter
Starter

Dirty our safeties are the reverse of the normal, from what I understand Carp will line up over the TE and be a "SS" but play like the FS and Scott will line up on the weak side as the "FS" but play as the SS. Pudge I still feel that Carp is not a long term solution at SS and that D-Mo is better suited to play there. Also I think you are truelly underestimating Brook's role on the team, he is our Teddy Bruschi, not the most in your face leader but still a firey competitor and off the field leader as well. Ultimately I think the leadership roles on our D break down like this, Brook is our example leader, Kerney is our in your face/firey leader, Hartwell is going to be the guy talking a bit of trash, and Carp is the laid back "QB of the Defense".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:06 pm 

I know the safety roles are reversed this year. They were not last year and Scott played both SS and FS during the course of the season. As far as Brooking is concerned I'm guessing you are refering to Pudge.