It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Westbrook
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:41 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

This guy WILL NOT be a Eagle after this season. Would you guys want to get him? I have no idea when Ducketts or Dunns contract expires and I dont see how anybody could be happy if all 3 are on our roster but still...

I feel bad for him. Andy & co. are very stingy when it comes to RB's and their contracts. Big red feels he can plug and versitile RB into the position and they can be just as productive as their predecessor. This same thing happened to Staley, and it will happen to Westbrook. Andy got his future RB in Ryan Moats but they will cut ties with him when he wants a big long term deal.

He is an article on Westbrook - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2155644

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:54 pm 

IMO Westbrook is the perfect runningback for this offense. Although we would still need a durable "run it up the gut" back to compliment Westbrook and those hard yardage downs.

Both Dunn and Duckett are signed through 2007. I've said it before that I don't believe either will be re-signed. With Gibbs offensive line system in Atlanta I'd like to think we've also adopted Denver's ability to plug almost anyone in the RB slot and have success.

I would love to see us sign Westbrook to replace Warrick Dunn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:02 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Although we would still need a durable "run it up the gut" back to compliment Westbrook and those hard yardage downs.

Maybe thats were Griff could come in. We could keep a awsome blocking FB as a backup and plug Griff at HB to get those "tough yards". Or we could just use a later round pick on some bruiser.

And we could just keep Westbrook as our goal line back since our staff and former regime have some kind of hard-on for Dunn as a GL back.

Dunn up the middle 3 times, gets stuffed 3 times vs. the browns in 2002 while a healthy Duckett is on the sideline scracthing his head. I'll never get over that.

THATS WHY YOU DONT COACH ANYMORE REEVES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:14 pm 

Musa Smith would be a great #2 option as a hard nose runner. I have no idea who is available next year as far as free agent runners go. We could always draft a backup brute to take the role also.

If Duckett accepts that he is a complimentary back we could bring him back but I think he wants to be a regular starter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I like Westbrook and all but I thik he'll want to much money. RB's are a dime a dozen, look at how little interest Alexander/James/Henry drew this off season. If we want another RB I don't see us signing a big named free agent to get one. We'll probably find one somewhere in the middle rounds of the draft. A Mwelde Moore/Ryan Moats kind of guy. I wish we had of drafted Darren Sproles. I am usually the first preson to rally against midgetsin the NFL, but I really think this guy has potential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:20 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I wish we wouldve drafted Moats. We gave him like 5 workouts before the draft.

The eagles took him with the 77th overall pick and I guarentee we were ready to take him if he was still there at #90.

We took Beck with #90.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:22 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'm not unhappy with having Beck, whenever he recover's he will be a good player for this team. Though I would have loved to see us take Moats though. Do you think Cobb will ever pan out to be more than a KR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:25 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with Beck, I was just throwing out who we took instead.

I really hope Cobb can do something else then be a backup KR. Remember our staff was soooo high on Wright because "he never fumbles in practice". Our staff decided to keep Cobb instead of Wright so I guess that means something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:28 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Cobb's run towards the end of the Miami game was pretty impressive, honestly I think that is what won him the job. He's quick, and he runs pretty low. It's not like we realy need him to do a whole lot this year unless someone gets hurt. It would be nice to see him turn out to be a decent RB, maybe even good enough to be a backup behind Duckett (IF we keep him) after we turn Dunn loose down the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:34 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

who knows what the RB landscape will look like in 2 years. one thing i do know is Westbrook will be like Edge is now in 2008, playing on the downside of the hill. that being said I'd take Edge now, I just wouldn't want him 5 years from now.

I say why mess a good thing up? Duckett and Dunn have done fine for the past 2 years thus far. Wait until next year's draft and let things shake out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:18 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Duckett is more my type of RB. I like the bruisers who you can count on for 3 or 4 yards every carry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:20 pm 

Capologist wrote:
Duckett is more my type of RB. I like the bruisers who you can count on for 3 or 4 yards every carry...

If he could only catch the football we would be set ;).

I do think the Falcons offense is best suited for a speed back as opposed to a power back. Not that it can't be done but guys like Dunn, Westbrook, Barber, Jackson, all fit the mold best IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:52 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Capologist wrote:

If he could only catch the football we would be set ;).

I do think the Falcons offense is best suited for a speed back as opposed to a power back. Not that it can't be done but guys like Dunn, Westbrook, Barber, Jackson, all fit the mold best IMO.

I think he catches fine, it's more his blocking that's holding him back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:30 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Falcons are going to have to make a decision about Dunn & Duckett after this season. It's hard to decide to cut Dunn, but considering his cap space and age, it's one of those things that may be smart for the team rather than the franchise.

I thought Duckett improved significantly last year from previous years. He runs with greater burst, but one of the things that I think will continually keep him in the doghouse with this coaching staff is how slowly he cuts. In fact, sometimes when he runs, he doesn't cut at all. He's a straight-line type guy that doesn't change directions well. Recall Jamal, a similarly built back that could cut on a dime. Also note that ability probably cost Jamal his career, because he would shift his weight too quickly and his ligaments couldn't support it. But in this type of zone blocking that likes to spread out defenses laterally, the ability to change directions is important. Unless Duckett can become quicker on his cuts, he'll never be more than a situational back with this team and in this league.

As for Westbrook, I would love to have him. He's the same as Dunn, except a big younger, but probably more injury prone.

There is a chance that the Falcons cut Dunn and then use that money to sign Westbrook after the season. It would be a smart signing, but as people said, he needs to platoon with someone because he's not a full-time feature back. That player could be Duckett, or it could be another player. Some FAs to keep an eye on that could fill Duckett's niche and probably cost a lot less doing it are: Tony Fisher, Najeh Davenport, Verron Haynes, and Jonathan Wells. And all 4 of those players are a bit more polished both as receivers and in pass protection than Duckett.

At this point, Dunn and Duckett are on the books next year for about $10 million (Dunn $8.5M, and Duckett $1.5M). Something is going to change...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:42 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

DAMN!!! I really like Dunn but 8.5 million!?!?!?!?

Post subject: Westbrook in not going anywhere
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:27 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey Dirty Bird Fans, what is going on?. I'm from Philly and I'm looking forward to Monday Night. Decided to drop in and see what the talk was about. I'm not one of those Philly fans you hear about from the national media time and time again. Believe it or not, 66,769 actually watch the game and don't start fights and what not. But everyone only hears about the 500 who do.

Anyway, I am here to shed some light on your Westbrook discussion. Fellas, he isn't going anywhere. The Eagles will tag him for the next two years, so he will be playing on the cheap for at least this and next year, and then we will unload him. That is how The Eagles Management Rolls. I do think they will still try to extend him, but not for the money he is asking.

On the Corey Simon front, anybody who watches the Eagles every game, knows he was a BIG reason why we couldn't stop the run. He is D End, stuck in a D Tackles body. He was always selling out to make a sack, rather then holding his gap, and plugging holes. That is no secret. Look at his tackle stats, they suck. But he did get more then his share of sacks, especially for a D Tackle. Mike Patterson is going to be the real deal, so we will be fine.

How are your receivers looking?. I haven't heard a lot about them. I like that Jenkins guy, he can be real good. How is that rookie? White?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:38 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Points taken but I seriously doubt they franchise him 2 years in a row. Remember you have the player on your team who called the franchise tag "like slavery".

I heard this same thing about Simon, and how he wasnt going anywhere because you would tag him.

All I'm saying is that some players wont be happy with the tag and Westbrook is one of them. He wants a long term deal. How long did it take him to sign his tender? And he still held out for a week after he signed it.

IMO indications point towards Westbrook NOT wearning an eagle jersey next year. YOu guys did the same exact thing with Staley.

Come on man, you know Big Red and how he feels about his MLB's and HB's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:52 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I agree, we probably won't have a chance at Westbrook. I think we should look to the draft for a new RB. I would love to get Reggie Bush from USC, but I'm sure he'll go in the top 10 (and I don't expect us to have a pick that high). DeAngelo Williams and PJ Daniels would be good picks as well. The running game is so important for this team's success that we have to get a good quality RB. If both Dunn and Duckett are cut, we need to find guys who are going to be able to contribute at the same level. Westbrook would be the perfect RB for this team because of all that he does, but we need to get someone that we can afford because we don't have a lot of breathing as it stands right now. I'd like to see them keep Duckett and add someone in the Dunn mold who can take over as the #1 RB. But if we can find someone cheaper, I'm all for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

vickisthebest wrote:

Come on man, you know Big Red and how he feels about his MLB's and HB's.

If Big Red learned anything last year it is that he was wrong about MLB's though. Trotter was their best defensive player last year & was dominate the second half of the year.

As for Westbrook, I wouldn't want him. I'm not convinced that he is as good as he is cracked up to be. I would rather get an Edgerin james for that money, a bigger back with the same speed & skill set. Still, borrowing from the Broncos example I think running backs are severely overrated and the more important thing is to put together a great offensive line.

Jenkins & White are in the same boat right now in a lot of ways, both having lots of talent & both being unproven. Jenkis will get his chance this year & I expect him to surpass Price's numbers, but White may have trouble staying healthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:10 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Westbrook might not be a fulltime RB but he'll darn sure want fulltime pay.
back to this discussion on who we keep, i wish gibbs would continue to be more involved in the offense. that would help us tremendously. Denver hasn't invested money in a RB since TD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:13 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

If Big Red learned anything last year it is that he was wrong about MLB's though. Trotter was their best defensive player last year & was dominate the second half of the year.

Not really. Andy feels its the system that lets his HB's flourish on offense and the system that lets his MLB's flourish on defense. Trotter had a very good year for them 2 years ago, then he wanted to be paid like he performed and they said no. So he went with the money in Wash. and showed how overrated he actually was. I believe Levon Kirkland filled in for Trotter that year, and he did good. Then Wash cuts Trotter cause he sucked and Andy took him back at a little over league minimum.

Andy believes the system is better then any player and makes the player the player. (if that makes sense) Which is why I have a hard time believing they will tag Westbrook for two years paying him the average of the top 5 payed HB's. If they were gonna do that then why not just give him the deal he wants?