It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In all seriousness
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Say a prayer for our brethren down in Southern Mississippi, Louisiana/New Orleans. Lets hope the casualties are at a minimal. :(

Heres to helping you guys rebuild!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:10 pm 

Ditto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:07 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I lived in VA most of my life (excluding 4 years at college), and hurricanes have become run of the mill for me, but I've never seen such destruction from a "medium grade" hurricane (Category 3 right?).

All you can really hope for is that most people end up being OK physically, although the emotional damage may take some time to recover from.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:27 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I can say from personal experience that these people are in for a LONG recovery. I was about 10 miles east of where Ivan made landfall on the Florida panhandle a year ago, I saw houses along the beach that looked like they were on stilts because the hurricane had washed out the ground from beneath them. And we were above sea leve. When I left the area in April there were still people with patched roofs and business that were still rebuilding. It took us two weeks to get power and water back reliably. Take all that and multiply in by 10 add in extreme flooding and that is what Southern Lousiana and Mississippi are in store for. The recovery is going to be slow, since the recovery people will have to literaly rebuild their way back into downtown NO and Biloxi. We are lucky that we have a good weather forcasting capability, if we didn't and people had not evacuated by the tens of thousands then we would have seen casualties on par with the receant Tsunami. Good luck to those who are starting to rebuild their lives, and to the rest of us, give generously where you can, cause you never know when something will strike closer to home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:30 pm 

Pudge wrote:
(Category 3 right?).

It was a Cat 4 on landfall and didn't get downgraded to a Cat 3 until the eyewall passed over the coast line if I heard right. It was a 5 sitting in the gulf.

I'm glad I can say I've never endured a Hurricane.

Post subject: Hur
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

These were poor states to begin with and this will only make matters worse. I hope our government will send some of our tax focus to our citizens in the south. My thoughts are with them.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:04 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

It's not getting any better unfortunately. These folks need all the prayers they can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:12 pm 

New Orleans, the city itself I believe is below sea level, so that right there makes it a potentially bad place if a hurricane hits.

And it is the poorest city in America. I've been down there, the poverty is awful. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of people already had very little, and after this they have nothing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:25 am 

Dunn challenges NFL Players to raise money. Dunn wants 53 players on 31 NFL teams (excluding Saints) to each donate at least $5,000 to help the Katrina victims. That amounts to over $8 million in donations.

That type of money amounts to a third of a single game check for lowest paid players in the league. If Patrick Kerney (the highest salaried player on our roster) donated the same % from one of his game checks, it would be about $95,000.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/w ... topstories

I know it's a completely different subject, but it's mind-blowing that for playing 4 quarters of football (in fact he doesn't even have to play, he just needs to be on the roster), Patrick Kerney gets paid more than what 80-90% of this country (about 225-255 million people) makes in an entire year. So as Dunn said, if these guys don't donate, they are really being selfish.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: The walls of the dam only protected a level 3
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:27 am 

Watching ABC show the other night they mentioned that the walls or dams surrounding new orleans only protected a level 3 hurricane.They asked an engineer from the Army corp of engineers why were they built to protect only a level 3 he said just think of the money it would cost to fix it.A cost benefit analysis concluded that it would be to costly to benefit new orleans.The reporter said well I bet your cost benefit analysis is a bit off don't you think to the engineer.

This doesn't surprise me why does a disaster have to take place before anything is done to fix things? It is called protective maintainence but high officials didn't think it was worth it.Look at the gasoline prices through the ruff because of it.The experts were wrong again and it cost alot of innocent people there lives.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:10 am 

Gas prices are actually spiking mainly in the southeast. That is only due to an artificial market created by spiking demand and marketeers. The pipeline that fuels the south is expected to be up to 70% capacity this time next week. Once that pipline get back to that level prices will start to drop back tot he $3.00 or less watermark. This is simple economics.

Out here in the northwest gas prices have spiked from $2.60 a gallon to $2.70-$2.73 a gallon. This is mainly due to the lost refining capabilities in New Orleans. However, even then it is more an artificial spike. All the gas in the northwest comes from Alaska & California.

Another huge reason gas is so expensive is largely due to the environmental lobby. All the restrictions that they have placed on moving gas, drilling, pumping, and refining oil. Had Anwar (sp?) been drilled back in the mid 90's (this is Alaska) we'd be able to pump a good 1 million barrels a day from there helping alieviate the gas crisis and prevent us from having to hit the reserves.