It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't count on Bryan Randall
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:57 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

This quote right here says it all to me:

Jim Mora wrote:
Not only are you developing a young quarterback, but you've got a guy who can run some routes, play some running back, can play some defensive back, can play some special teams.

That basically means that if Randall does manage to land on our p-squad (and I think he will), he's going to see most of his time not at QB, but at other posiitons such as WR, RB, DB, or on special teams coverage.

My point being in that Mora is molding Randall into a Tory Woodbury/Woody Dantzler type player rather than a potential #3 QB down the road. From that statement above, it seems that Randall's reps at QB are going to be extremely limited. Typically, the #3 QB doesn't get much reps in practice to begin win, let alone the guy that is #4 on the depth chart.

So my point is that unless 2 of the 3 players ahead of him at QB are hurt, meaning he'll work with the #2 unit during the week, he's basically not going to progress very much as a QB this year. If he is still a Falcon come next summer, his work at QB is going to be about as progressed as it currently stands. Which to me means that unless the team plans a permament position switch, he should not be considered an option to replace Ty Detmer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:44 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'd rather have Randall at #3 than Detmer, since if we're down to #2 our season would be crushed anyways. At least keep the guy who has some possible star potential, even if it is unlikely.

Post subject: QB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

What makes you think an undrafted free agent is such a possible star? Did you see something this preseason I didn't or are you going back to his VT days or just reading into Mora's nice statement about him?

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:00 pm 

I think Mora is wasting Randall. He wasn't a great QB at Virginia Tech, but he has more than enough skill to stick in the NFL, but only if it is allowed to develop. But right now Mora is not allowing that to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make a permanent position change to WR or something before the season is done.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:33 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

About Randall at VT, Pudge is right he was never a good QB and he probably wouldn't be in the Pros either. What he was and still is I think is a GREAT leader, he is a guy who will do anything necessary to help the team. I would actually like to see him get some reps at S. Tech gave him some reps at safety when they recruited Marcus Vick to see if he would fit there, he was so good in practice they were ready to hand him the starting FS spot, over current pro FS Vinceant Fuller of the Titans. He is a real smart guy, who was just a little to short and lacking in accuracy on his throws. You can tell Mora likes his leadership and team first qualities, and sees him as a guy he can keep in his hip pocket until he needs to stick him somewhere. Kinda like when a college coach recruits a guy as an "athlete".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm thinking Woody Dantzler here. Good at a lot of things, but not great or a jack of all trades but a master of none.

Post subject: QB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Atlanta Journel Constitution reports: Aug 22nd 2006
Falcons starting FS, Bryan Randall
Falcons starting CBs, D. Hall and Cole Magner

LOL, guess only time will tell..

MF1