It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warrick Cut
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:34 pm 

Peter Warrick was cut by the Bungals today. Could be worth taking a flier on assuming he can live with being a situational player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

He won't pass the Falcons filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, although I think Warrick is more than worth a look, he doesn't seem like the type of player that I see McKay & Mora jumping on. He's built just like Price, but I think his YAC abilities make him a better fit for the WCO.

He doesn't quite fit the McKay/Mora mold. He's a notable bust, and I don't have recall McKay having a rich history of attempting to rehabilitate those types of players like say a Mike Shanahan, Al Davis, or Jerry Jones are willing to do as GMs. Erik Flowers is about the only guy I can think of McKay going after, although I may be forgetting some guys in Tampa Bay. And I'm not counting players brought in once Gruden was named coach, since it's been well-documented that McKay disagreed with Gruden on many of those signings.

Warrick is coming off an injury from last year and has missed most of camp because of other injuries (notably a hamstring). He isn't quite ready to play this year. And if I'm the Falcons, I'd instead look at him come October or November when he's probably 100%. But likely by that point another team will have snapped him up.

I'd love to see Warrick dawn a Falcon uniform. He's a quick possession wideout that can be productive #2 guy in the right system. But it seems about as likely as Ty Detmer being named the #2 QB next week.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:09 pm 

I doubt Warrick goes much past the next week with out signing on with another team. I could be over estimating other teams stomach for a project but there are a number of teams that could use another receiver. Chief among those are Seattle & Philly.

Post subject: Warrick
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The guy has always been hurt by his size. They brought him to Cinci as a #1 and he couldn't cut it, much like Price. I think he also had some attitude probs in his early seasons and now that he has been hurt the last couple years his stock has really fallen. If we got rid of Price, there is no way we even consider this guy (although Mora did repeat in his press con yesterday that the team was still looking for a 'quality' #5 reciever in the mold of Jimmy Farris, which makes me wonder about Magner's status)

MF1

Post subject: Re: Warrick
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:26 pm 

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
(although Mora did repeat in his press con yesterday that the team was still looking for a 'quality' #5 reciever in the mold of Jimmy Farris, which makes me wonder about Magner's status)

MF1

Did Mora actually say that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:46 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I am pretty positive Mora said "We are still looking for a number 5 WR and he could be here or he could be on another team." Don't remember him mentioning any names though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:45 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

What Mora actually said was "I'd say that we are in search of, to some degree, a fifth wide receiver. Last year, our fifth wide receiver was Jimmy Farris. That guy may be on our team, he may be on another person's team. I think there are some candidates on our team that we would feel comfortable with. They are the guys that are still on our team, obviously. It could be someone from another team. Seldom do we suit up more than four wide receivers, we play with four. We're not a team that goes to four wide receiver offense because of the pure fact that we have one of the best tight ends in football and we don't want to take him off the field. Right now, I feel like three of the four guys that are secure on this team can help us on special teams as well, assuming that Roddy is healthy. That's a good thing to have. That doesn't happen all the time. So we'd like to get a fifth wide receiver, whether, like I said, it be a guy that's on our team now or on another team, who has special teams ability, can play multiple positions in case he has to play without a lot of practice, because typically your fifth receiver doesn't get a lot of practice, has the intelligence to pick up a game plan without getting a lot of repetitions and can catch the ball and contribute in offensive ways."

Then when a reporter asked Mora if Cole Magner was our 5th reciever Mora answered " No, there isn't a five. If you were going to list, one, two, three, four and five, five would be stacked out this way (motions for multiple names). With Cole and Pettis and Romby and Brian and those guys. There might be an empty box that says other team."

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/gameday/a ... sp?id=8061

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:27 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

"We're not a team that goes to four wide receiver offense because of the pure fact that we have one of the best tight ends in football and we don't want to take him off the field."

I think he may have been trying to say this and kind of danced around it a bit. Talked a little too much for the camera. He might have been saying that they are thinking about the need to have a backup, just in case, but they were not holding their breath either.