It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jenkins drops 2, catches 1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:00 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I took a look at the game yesterday to try to get an exact number on our wideouts drops. They funny thing about the game was that we didn't really throw to our wideouts. Justin got a nice pass as did Dunn but we really didn't see much passing offense at all.

Jenkins looked bad again with 2 drops and 1 catch
D White 1 drop, 1 catch with another catch wiped out by a penalty
Price 1 catch
Finn 1 catch (TD)
Magner 1 catch wiped out by a penalty
Mosley 1 catch

With the Brian Bratton kick fumble and the Cobb kick return for a TD and the goal line stand at the 2 that pinned Schaub in the endzone (and he had a crap game if you ask me for all those who think the guy is a starter) we really didn't get to play that much at all on offense.

Another thing, Mora was really down on TJ but I just don't see what he was talking about. I thought he looked good and even without the big run he must have at least gotten 4 or 5 yards a carry. Maybe he didn't block in pass coverage, I didn't watch for that, but his running was strong IMO

MF1

P.S. As you all have been saying, our O-Line is HORRIBLE! If they are not holding someone or jumping the gun on plays for penalties then they are giving up a sack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I am a stubborn, pig-headed Pollock through and through, so that being said, I still feel Jenkins will be one of WR's for many years to come. He didn't get much playing time last year because he was a rookie and Mora was a rookie coach. Not too many rookie coaches will play rookies becasue they are auditioning themselves as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:13 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

If this preseason is any indication, then I don't think Jenkins should be in the starting lineup. But given the situation where we need an injection of life into this position, I'm willing to give him a few weeks to see what he can really do when things count.

Mora indicated that he is not planning on making a lineup change when it comes between Jenkins and Price. I think thus far, Price has outperformed Jenkins based on looking solely at the games. Could this mean that Mora is not planning on making a change because he is planning on cutting Price?

Hmmm...something to think about....

But if I was going to judge purely on who the best wideouts have been thus far through preseason, I would say Finneran and Dez should be the starters, with Price as the #3, and Jenkins and White being #4 and #5. I don't like Dez too much, but Vick seems a bti more comfortable with him than Price IMO.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:46 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
But if I was going to judge purely on who the best wideouts have been thus far through preseason, I would say Finneran and Dez should be the starters, with Price as the #3, and Jenkins and White being #4 and #5.

I respect your opinion. Personally, I'm not sure who is going to start the season, but I think at the end of the season, we will see Rowdy Roddy White and Jenkins starting. Big young guys who can grow with Vick. If Price isn't gone this year, he is next, might as well get the youngsters some experience. We made it to the NFC Championship game last year without a passing game and we can do it again this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:32 am 

I have to agree with Pudge on this one. Once again I saw Jenkins trying to act when he makes catches and a DB even breathes on him. I am VERY unimpressed with Jenkins thus far. Personally I'd say make Jenkins the #3 or #4 reciever and tell him to fight for the job. Price did and I think he won.

My top WR performers:
#1 Manger
#2 Finneran
#3 Price
#4 Dez White
#5 Roddy White
#6 Jenkins

I hate to say it but I think last years starters are this years starters. They know the offense, they know Vick, and I think everyone started to gel. I do believe that as long as Finneran is playing for the Falcons he will be a starter. Vick has too much chemistry with him to not have him out there most downs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:38 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Vick has too much chemistry with him to not have him out there most downs.

Is it chemestry or is it his size? Vick is short, Finn is tall. I just think Vick has a problem seeing the smaller guys down the field. Jenkins = big, big = good. (For Vick)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:04 pm 

Well why Finneran and White stand out, I think it's a combo of both chemistry and size. White is "only" 6-1, making him shorter than both Jenkins and Magner. Finneran I think is both chemsitry and size. He's been working with Vick from day 1, back in 2001 when both guys were on the 2nd unit, and both guys were promoted in 2002 to the 1st unit.

But size really doesn't matter all too much when you're outside the pocket as much as Vick seems to be. When he's rolling left or right, he know longer has to look over OL that are 6-2, 6-3, etc. Then it all becomes who's wearing the right uniform. So a 5-7 guy is going to be spotted by Vick as long as he's wearing red/white.

So I think it's more chemistry than size that matters, and its why Finneran and Dez White seem to be ahead of Price and Jenkins. At this point, I would argue Dez and Finneran just do a better job of adjusting to Vick's improvisation at this point, which IMO is going to be the key.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:31 pm 

Pudge wrote:
So I think it's more chemistry than size that matters, and its why Finneran and Dez White seem to be ahead of Price and Jenkins. At this point, I would argue Dez and Finneran just do a better job of adjusting to Vick's improvisation at this point, which IMO is going to be the key.

Finneran in my mind has done the best job adjusting to Vick's scrambles then any other receiver we have. The problems Jenkins is having this pre-season could be having a hard time having to adjust to Vick's adjustments. He didn't have a mobile QB during his Buckeye days and we've seen it is difficult for receivers to adjust to Vick's cannon and mobility.

In addition to that Finneran is a great downfield blocker. I have seen him pancake DB's on numerous occasions to open the field up for Vick. He is the complete receiver and too bad he wasn't younger to continue his development.

Post subject: Finn
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Agreed Dirty, I have seen Finn knock himself out of games with the blocks he delivers downfield for Vick. Vick knows the guy has heart and will never stop trying to block or get open which is why he should start.

As for Jenkins, well until we get an O-line that can give Vick a pocket to throw from the guy just isn't going to cut it. Great in college, but crap in this system.

Dez, like Finn, has been around and will do what it takes to get open or make a play. I think he should start with Finn.

R White will be a starter before seasons end if he can start catching Vicks balls as well. Right now we have to give the guy some time to adjust to the lefty and the power that Vick throws at his guys. White has already shown he can get open and is a burner, plus Mora said he really like the way he was blocking and that was the biggest knock on him coming in here.

I don't really care what happens to Price. He had his shot here and blew it for whatever reason. I think he can help us out, but not as a starter.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:32 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I don't think Jenks should start either. Honestly I think it should be Price and Finneran. Finn is the only veteran WR that looks like he's working on the field. I'll never forget how he broke John Lynch's ass last year. That was the greatest thing ever. Anyway Finn has the most chemistry with Vick and if he can actually start to catch the easy one's too then he could start. I agree with whoever said that Roddy and Jenks will be the starters by season's end. As much as I'd like to see it I don't think Finn will start and I doubt Peerless will either. I think by season's end the young guys will have the jobs whether they deserve it or not.