It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Too much hype for Roddy?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/0705/27falnot.html

Article from the AJC talking about White's starting status starting to fade because of the holdout. But I think it was overblown in the first place. The team was raving about Michael Jenkins during minicamps because his athleticism and size made him look like a man amongst boys. We've heard the same about White too all off-season long. And I think that it was too much hype, since I don't really see him playing a whole lot this year. The holdout is definitely not helping, but the best thing for White is that either Dez White or Price are cut, because he's not going to be a special teams guy. Jenkins had 2 years of playing ST at OHio State so that he could play it as a rookie. White has not played hardly any ST at UAB since he's been a starter since he was a freshman. He's not going to get much play over Jenkins or Finneran in that regard.

And I doubt as a rookie WR who rarely have good seasons, he's not going to absorb the offense as quickly as Price, Dez, Jenkins, and Finneran already know with a year under their belts.

I didn't want to count out Roddy, because if he did become a starter, it probably would have been an upgrade considering his circumstance and Dez White is average at best.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:30 am 

Since Luis Castillo (28th pick) signed yesterday, the parameters of White's contract should be close to being set, so that he should be signed soon.

Castillo received $4.66 million in guaranteed moneys and had a 5-year deal that averaged $1.407 million/yr.

I think this puts decent parameters on White's potential deal since a minimum is now established. I suspect based on the figures of Castillo and Washington (the lowest pick signed ahead of him at #23), White's contract will be in this range:

5 year deal
averaging $1.41 - $1.45 million/yr.
guarantees between $4.7 - $4.85 million.

Most likely those guarantees will be split into an initial signing bonus and an option bonus. The initial signing bonus probably won't exceed $1.5 million, meaning it's doubtful that White is going to cost more than $700,000 against this year's cap.

Profile E-mail