It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jenkins quietly moved to split end
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:31 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I just noticed on the team's official "unofficial" depth chart at Atlanta Falcons.com, that Jenkins is now listed at the split end (X) position instead of the flanker (Z) spot. Since the draft, team officials have had him listed at Z and have said he would compete there with Price for a roster spot.

But why has he moved back to X on the depth chart? Is that where he is actually playing? Is Roddy White still on the 3rd unit? From all the talk of White being stellar in minicamp, I would have thought he earned a chance to work with the 2nd unit by now, but it seems Jenkins and Finneran are still those guys "unofficially" as they were at the end of last year.

Does this mean that Dez White is in more danger of losing his roster spot than Peerless Price, since he's looking over his shoulder at 2 1st round picks, and right now Price is just looking at Finneran?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:12 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps they want to keep us guessing...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:33 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I dont think he was ever moved from his spot behind Dez on the official chart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:09 am 

I could have sworn that within a week after the newspapers reported Jenkins would be lining up at flanker, he was moved on the depth chart. But of course I could be wrong.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Sounds odd
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:11 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I think by the season opener it'll be Peerless Price and Rod white as the starters with Jenkins and Finn being the third and fourth reciever's and Dez "invisable man" white being just plain gone.

[url] Http://falconsdailydouble.blogspot.com

Falcons daily[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:37 pm 

Jenkins is working with the 1st team which I think is even stronger evidence that Price will be cut at the end of this summer. After doing my training camp preview, I just don't see the Falcons having a strong cap situation to afford to retain Price, unless they extend a player like Kerney's contract between now and September.

Right now Price has to take the job away from Jenkins, rather than the other way around.

I know it's not always the case, but usually if a guy is working with the 1st team during the 1st week of training camp, he'll be starting in the first game of the season.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Peerless
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:33 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I think Peerless is going to get one of the startin spots, its real hard for me to believe the falcons are going to pay Peerless and not pay him. Its he starts or he's gone in my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:12 am 

If Jenkins continues to impress, I would like to see him and Price as the starting WRs since I don't have much love for Dez White. But Price is no split end, and he struggled there back in 2003. Jenkins played that spot last year, but if he's working with the first team at flanker, he won't be moved. It seems like a zero sum gain type of situation, where the chances of both Price and Jenkins starting is slim.

If Price doesn't win the starting job, I can't see the team keeping him.

I really think the Falcons are looking for an easy reason to cut Price. And him losing his starting job to Jenkins sounds like the perfect reason. I think the Falcons were very very close to cutting Price in June. But they opted not for it because Jenkins and Roddy were still unknown commodities, and the team would rather see both earn their starting spots rather than have them handed to them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:23 pm 

I believe Price is best suited to work out of the slot and create mis-matches with Linebackers and safeties with his speed. Ideally we'd see Jenkins the starting Flanker, Roddy the Split-End and Price out of the slot IMO.

Post subject: Jenkins
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I would rather see Finn start vs Price if it came to moving Jenkins. If the team is truly being built on chemistry then Price should go. I don't know that Vick has ever liked the guy and I am sure he has no confidence in him.

BTW thanks for showing me this page Dirty, I quit the espn forum 2 years ago because of trolls and having come back to it a week ago I couldn't believe they were still there messing with everyone.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:39 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

with the way Jenks has played up until this point he may not start. He hasn't shown the best effort in the last two games. He has all the tools to do it but I am not sure he has the fire or attitude for it. The problem with our entire WR corps is no one attacks the ball. Alge attacks the ball, he goes up and gets it. Roddy has shown he'll do that but he's got a lot to learn. I said in a post earlier how much I like Manger and one of the reason is that from what I've seen he attacks the ball too. Jenks, Price, and Dez all wait for the ball to come to them. That is what's gonna eventually cost Price his spot in ATL. We can go ahead and get used to not having Dez. I really doubt he'll make the team this year unless we carry 6 wr's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:27 pm 

mywebname wrote:
with the way Jenks has played up until this point he may not start. He hasn't shown the best effort in the last two games. He has all the tools to do it but I am not sure he has the fire or attitude for it.

If nothing else he could be the next great football actor. I haven't seen a player act so much to draw a flag outside of the NBA. I can think of two plays off the top of my head were he acted to get a flag instead of trying to catch the ball.

Post subject: Drops
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, that is 2 incompletes to Jenkins so far... at least our kick return team looks good.