It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons interview Spielman
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:32 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Lenny P is saying that the Falcons have interviewed Spielman for an unknown job.

The big question is this for Hill's job or Tim Ruskell's job. Some might know Spielman most prominently as the guy that the bottom fell out on in Miami this past year. Although I wouldn't blame Spielman for Miami's troubles, he definitely didn't help things. As GM, you have to prepare your team the best way you can, and even if Ricky had played the Dolphins owuld not have been that much better.

He made that foollish trade for Feeley. He traded for Gordon. There are many other examples of foolish trades he made. The FA signings were not all spectacular in Miami. About the only really solid player they got was Junior Seau, but that was at the end of his career.

Under Spielman's watch, the Dolphins notoriously made some poor moves in the early rounds of the draft. About really the only good things that the Dolphins did during Spielman's time at the top was trading for Ricky in 2002, and drafting Chambers and McMichael. Their OL has been among the league's worst for several years (and yes some of those years it was worse than our unit).

I think his track record definitely shows that Spielman has much stronger draft history than FA history. HIs days as a scout in Detroit had some pretty good results.

But either way, I don't think he's the right option for this team. If he's going to replace Hill, we are doomed, as I said, his FA history sucks. If he's replacing Ruskell, then we may as well be doomed too, although he'll probably focus more on the draft, but the Asst. GM is most likely going to be replacing McKay in the next 3-5 years (speculation on McKay being the next Commish), so whether its sooner or later, we're probably doomed.

I'm not sure there are a load of qualified candidates out there. It would seem that if this team is looking for a quality guy to replace either person, they most likely are going to have to hire someone who already has a job, because the "free agent" front office types aren't exactly top crop.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:29 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Yeah, I wouldn't be too keen on this one either...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:38 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

please please please do not bring him here i was born and raised here in atl and the falcons are the team 1 for me however i have sent a lot of time livin and visting parts of fla and Miami is team 2 for me and havin him in south beach never made me happy so please dont bring him to hot lanta i beggin you well you can bring him here to sell beer at the games :D

Profile E-mail