It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lance Shulters may be released and headed to falcons
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:17 am 

the titans will release lance shulters (FS) after june 1 and frank wycheck (titans great TE of the late 90s who does nfl radio shows now and draft chats, etc.) is chatting online with some friends. shulters was a 49 for 4-5 seasons.

here is his answer to where shulters will go:

Frank Wycheck: Look for Lance, if realeased, to hook up with his old coach in Atlanta.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:21 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Schulters would be a great fit. I know we discussed him earlier in the off-season as a possible target if released in June. Schulters issue like so many other ex-49er DBs is staying healthy. If you think about it, almost every player that started for Mora during his years at DC, has had issues with durability: Schulters, Bronson, Webster, Rumph, and Plummer. Those 5 players combined to miss 59 games last year due to injury (about 12 apiece).

I'm a bit curious why the Titans have opted to cut Schulters now. There was talk all off-seaso of it being a possibility, but as far as I know they decided a month or so ago that they wanted to keep him for one more year. They drafted Vincent Fuller, but I don't think they expect him to make an immediate impact. Lamont Thompson filled in well last year, but there are concerns within the organization if he is ever going to fulfill his potential.

I'd love to get Schulters if available, he could be a very good fit at SS if healthy. He has the ideal range to play that position in Mora's defense and excelled there in San Fran.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:06 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Would it be possible now to cut Corky Hall and sign Lance? Seems to me that he'd be better and would give Scott time to recover/develop more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:29 pm 

I'd keep Hall around because he's a better alternative than really anybody else we have. I'd like to see some real competition at safety this summer. Scott is out until at least the end of July according to estimates, so he'll probably only be limited to be able to go full speed for half of training camp.

Hall and Carpenter are decent options in his stead, and I'd bring in Schulters as well. Heard, Coady, and McCadam all have starting experience, and the hope is Pruitt is going to make improvement this summer as well.

I think Scott is the only one guaranteed a roster spot, and I'd like to see 3 or 4 others battle it out for the remaining spots.

Honestly, I'm not too psyched having either Hall or Carpenter in the starting lineup this year. But in the past they've proven to be competent starters, and either would make a pretty solid dime back (Carpenter is better in that role IMO), with the possibility that Scott & Schultesr are the starters. Then we can keep among Heard, Coady, and Pruitt the best 1 or 2 special teamers, depending on how the rest of the roster falls into place.

Hall deserves as much a chance if not more than Carpenter to earn playing time this year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:37 am 

It would seem now without Hall, the chances of Schulters being a Falcon just got much stronger.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:00 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I heard something about Corky deciding to leave during mini camp. I wonder what brought it on. Was it the competition that revealed to him that he wasn't going to win the starting job? Was it a conflict of some sort that couldn't be resolved? Anyways, there are many ATL fans that will not miss him. I would love to see Schulters in a Falcon uniform, but I guess it's a matter of how much $$$ it will take to get him here. Pudge, you mentioned Dan Neil becoming available too and how we could restructure Weiner and Kerney in order to bring him on, but I think I'd rather restructure them in order to bring in Lance. He and Carpenter would be good to start the season until Scott is 100%. Scott and Lance would be a powerful duo back there with Carpenter coming in on passing downs. It would be quite nice to have a solid talent and depth at S for a change! I think it would make the biggest difference for our defense against the pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:45 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Nothing would please me more than to sign Lance. I am really hoping this will happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:29 am 

According to my count, we'll still have 2 roster spots open after we sign all our rookies, so adding two veterans like Neil and Schulters could definitely be in the cards if the Falcons find a way to free up some cash between now and the middle of June.

Profile E-mail