It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breakout players this year?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Who do you think will be the guys that have breakout years this upcoming season? Last year, I would say that Rod Coleman, Brady Smith, Demorrio Williams, Kevin Mathis, T.J. Duckett, Kynan Forney, and Allen Rossum all played at levels that exceeded my expectations, so I would call all of them breakout players.

It's hard to put "breakout" expectations on guys and then have them exceed those levels, but here are the list of guys I could see really having "breakout" years:

RB T.J. Duckett - this may be the year that we see Duckett take the reins of the running game and have his first 1000 yard season.

WR Michael Jenkins - hot summer turned into a cool autumn for him last year, but the coaching staff is poised for him to challenge for a starting job this year. I could definitely see it.

OL Matt Lehr - a journeyman backup now considered to be a starter, he could be a player that could come in and solidify the interior if he adjusts quickly to Gibbs/Jagz style of play.

DT Chad Lavalais - a guy that is probably in the best shape he's been in for a long time, and it shoudl translate well on the field as he's expected to make his name both as a pass rusher and run stopper at the nose.

LB Demorrio Williams - Now poised to earn a starting position, he may prove that his speed will make up for his lack of size on the outside as he was a playmaking force in limited action last year.

LB Ed Hartwell - although not an unknown, Hartwell has been overshadowed by top playmakers in Baltimore for several years. Considering that there is no real dominance in the NFC in terms of MLBs, he could be a Pro Bowl player by year's end.

CB DeAngelo Hall - injury hurt his progress last year, but he should be able to hit the ground running this year and be ready to emerge as our #1 cornerback.

Of course this will be updated after the draft.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:20 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

well lets see, I am gonna with hold judgement on TJ till he proves he can come into camp ready to play i.e. at the right playing weight. If I get another offseason of whispers that he is a spoiled brat then I think he will continue to only succeed in his role as a backup and if given the starters role he will flop. But lets see, he has the pieces to succeed does he want it. Same can be said for Jenkins, his rap from college was athlete who didn't have to work hard to be good so he didn't, now he has to work REAL hard can he do it? I am no ready to proclaim either of them break out players. Lehr could do real well with us but it might be easy to play over expectations if his expectations are almost zero. The other guys I agree with completely, and I really think DeAngelo puts it all together this year, he is gonna earn his rep this year when offenses try to pick on him and get burned by him. I would also add to this list Justin Griffith, if Knapp gets back to WCO basics and starts the short game to the backs Griffith will show off the skills he has flashed but had stopped by injuries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:03 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Provided there are no injuries, I believe the strongest area of the team is going to be our front 7 on defense. The key is Lavalais and whoever we have backing him up. If he can have a solid season, he will make so many things possible for Coleman, the DEs, and Hartwell. If we add Poole to the mix, there will be very few holes on this defense.

Offensively, I don't think TJ is going to have a 1000 yds, but in the RB rotation he could prove to a lot of people that he's worth keeping around. I think we will see a lot more from Price this year. His eye surgery leads me to believe he has had problems that will now be corrected, plus he will be more comfortable with Vick and the new system. Vick will be more comfortable in the passing game as well, and Knapp will likely be adding more elements to the offense as well. The passing game is going to be the key for this offense's success this year as all the other teams will be more familiar with how to stop our running attack. There is always the Vick factor, but he must take the next step towards developing as a passer in order for this offense to truly take off.

So, I believe Lavalais, D Hall, Price, and Vick will have a breakout season. (Vick in terms of passing.)