It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SS Greg Wesley worth our attention?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:46 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Chiefs just signed Sammy Knight and plugged him in at SS, so now they are moving Wesley to FS to compete with Jerome Woods.

Wesley is a good run stopper, that is coming off his worst year as a pro, but unlike a guy like Sharper, Wesley is still very young at age 27.

The Chiefs probably won't cut Wesley anytime soon or trade him since they gave him a large contract last year. But he's definitely disgruntled, and they might think about parting ways with him in June. Plus he's not a good fit as a FS, since he's an "in the box" safety rather than a guy that is good in coverage.

But if Wesley is cut in June, should the Falcons pursue him? I know its a few months away, and we'll probably have addressed the safety position in the draft by then, but if not, then I think Wesley would be a great fit in this defense.

He struggles in coverage, but as I've been saying all off-season long, I think this team really needs a strong run presence, a guy that can enforce the secondary and punish WRs and TEs that venture too deep. Wesley is that type of player. Neither Scott nor Coady are that. In fact, Ike Reese may be a better fit in that role than either of those guys.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:01 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I m ok with you, he should be a great upgrade for our D, but we just sign this guy

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/194771

ESPN Insider's take -

Grade 64
Insider Analysis Heard has good size, he shows good power at the point of attack and he is at his best lining up close to the line of scrimmage. Will take good angles to the ball and plays with a non-stop motor. He is a reliable open-field tackler that will break down in space. Heard is far more effective defending the run than he is dropping into coverage. He lacks the speed to get off the hash in zone coverage and has just marginal range. Appears stiff in coverage, struggles to change directions quickly and lacks the ability to stay with slot receivers as well as tight ends in man-to-man situations. His upside as a starter is limited, but he can be a versatile backup at safety that can also contribute in the kicking game.

i hope he just for our depth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:56 pm 

Heard like Coady, is a bigger safety that plays best against the run, and has experience playing both FS and SS.

Heard started for the 49ers last year due to the fact that Zack Bronson was not 100% and the 49ers had no one else to turn to.

At this point, he and Coady upgrade special teams and are better depth than either Shabazz or McCadam. But they aren't guys that are probably going to be upgrades over Cory Hall.

The Falcons still need a playmaker at this position, and neither he nor Coady are that player. The Falcons could still get that player in the draft, or they could wait to see who is available in June. Someone like Wesley might be available, but at this point, it is probably best if we can add a decent prospect in the middle rounds of the draft.

Profile E-mail