It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where do we go from here?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:44 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not sure how much cap space we have left, but I'm assuming it's around $1.5-2 million, just based off the recent signings.

And usually 2 million is what teams try to go into the season with as emergency money. Also remember that we'll likely need an excess of $3 million or more to sign our rookies. SO that means that we will probably need to restructure some contracts or possibly cut people in June. But I suspect the former, since McKay has already indicated they are working on restructuring some deals. It would seem Kerney is in place to get a contract extension, because his contract runs out after 2006.

Dunn and Weiner could restructure their deals to give us a little more cap relief if need be.

But should the Falcons continue to add depth in free agency, or should they just stand pat and just wait for the draft?

All the starting positions are filled. The current roster is good enough to think that we don't need to add anymore starters. Of course, there are questions on the OL, S, and DT on whether certain individuals are good enough to start or should start, but they all have starting experience, so it's not a total unknown.

But considering our cap constraints, any moves we make between now and April or whenever deals are restructured/extended, will most likely have to be bottom rung players for minimum-level money. Which most likely means we'll only be adding depth.

So the question becomes, if we're only adding depth, what's better for it: pricey veterans or free undrafted rookies? Because of the Top 51 salaries, almost any undrafted player we sign is basically going to be like adding a player for free. But any veteran that has a salary of $305,000 or above is likely going to cost us some on the cap.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Are there any good free agents left?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:53 am 

At this point I wonder if there are any good free agents left?If not why over pay like the falcon's did in the past.We must build through the draft and then june 1st cuts if there is any money left go for players that could help.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:12 pm 
Starter
Starter

I'm pretty happy with what we have done so far. Trim some players and try to add depth across the board. Draft for upgrades and shop the June cuts for a specific slot.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and the Falcons have been throwing FA money away for years. I say let McKay work through the mess he inherited and build something that can at least have back to back winning seasons. If we can do that then playoff berths will take care of themselves.