It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bye Matt
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:00 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Matt Stewart signed with the Browns

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... ewart.html

Big thanks to Stewart. He wasn t superstar but this guy did bring his hard-hat to work every weeks . I think he really love the Falcons (more than money), but he want to be a starter. I 'll miss him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:58 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I thought Stewart was our best linebacker in 2003, but last year I wasn't too impressed with him. The idea that he was a much better 3-4 guy than 4-3 guy proved true, and he just wasn't an impact playmaker in the latter scheme.

I think he's a good pickup for Cleveland. He's not a guy that is going to remind anyone of Joey Porter, but he's a solid starter that can help in coverage, run support, and the pass rush, although he doesn't excel in any of those areas.

I think if Demorrio can make a quick conversion to the strong side, we won't miss Stewart all too much. The emphasis is now on speed, and Reese and Williams have that. I want the Falcons to try and bring in another veteran player to push both for playing time. It doesn't need to be a guy that is a starter, but maybe someone who is used to being a #2 and is good on special teams.

If the team does go after a more prominent veteran, I would suggest either Nate Wayne or Hannibal Navies. Both were starters under Donatell in Green Bay. I think Wayne would definitely be an upgrade over Reese. Both Navies and Reese are guys that can play any of the LB positions, and are more valuable for depth than as starters.

Profile E-mail