It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Depth is McKay's focus
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:34 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Falcons have not signed any starters yet, and really haven't looked at any free agents that one would expect to come in as starters. Maybe to compete for starting positions, but none look like they will open up in May mini-camps with the first teams.

I don't really have a problem with this because I think lacking depth has been a problem with this team for several years. I also believe that although a few starting positions could use some upgrades, I don't think they are in dire need. I think there are a lot of young guys that McKay/Mora are ready to give a chance to shine. It would seem that the team is ready to have Lavalais and Demorrio enter this summer as starters.

We still have holes at LG, FS, although Herndon/Moore and Coady can handle the positions for the time being. Garza may be brought back, and the team may be willing to move Beverly back to LG as well. If the team signs Cooper Carlisle like expected, it gives us a lot of options on the O-line, and even more so if we add some players in the draft.

I'm just wondering why the Falcons haven't brought OG Dan Neil in for a visit. My 2 guesses would be: 1) The Falcons have no interest in Neil or 2) Neil's late season injuries are still not completely healed, so he's not actively shopping himself on the market.

Adding guys like Reese, Coady, Kramer, Peterson, and Gowin are not moves that are major by any regards. But I like what McKay is doing. Not doing anything impulsive that will only create bigger cap problems down the road. Although I would like to see the Falcons get a decent OL free agent rather than all these backup types, I think the team is doing a good job.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:18 am 
Starter
Starter

I agree.

Too many times the Falcons have thrown good money after bad in the FA market. McKay seems to be doing it right by adding depth and strengthing the team overall.
We do need help along the O-line but I don't see any FA's out there that would have that great of an impact over what we already have; at a price we can afford.

I honestly feel the Falcons will go O-line in the first round in April. Either Elton Brown or Adam Snyder would be worth a pick. Now if a better athalete drops and is avilable then the first choice may go there. In that case either one would make an execelent second round coice. But I do feel that the O-line position will get attention early in the draft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:11 am 

Brown I don't think would be a good fit. He's a big guy and a good athlete for his size, but he's more of a straight-ahead mauler than a guy that is going to be quick and fast. If we are still going to use a lot of cut blocks under Jags, I think it will be tough for Brown since he is so big. Once a big guy like that goes down, it's hard for him to get back up.

As for Snyder, I'm curious why you think so highly of him? From most experts, it would be a stretch to put Snyder in the 3rd round let alone the first. He too seems like a big, slow type player. I thinkt he Falcons really want athletes up front.

I think two free agents that could help us up front is Dan Neil and Rick DeMulling. Both are solid starters. I think Neil (when healthy) is a Top 10 guard in this league. The fact that he hasn't gotten much bites in free agency however seem to indicate that he's not looking to be 100% in the near future. DeMulling is getting a lot of interest from teams besides Atlanta. Both players could be pricey, but I think would signficantly upgrade the units. I think both players are skilled enough to immediately come in here and be the best player on the line. I would say as of now that honor is held by Kynan Forney.

As for gauging our success in 2005, I'm not so optimistic. I think the team will be good, but I don't expect a repeat of the NFC Championship. As I see it, this team overachieved last season. I'm also very weary of the QB situation and Vick's ability to stay healthy. I think that's going to be a situation that I'm never going to be comfortable with until we have a solid veteran #2 in there or Schaub really starts to play like a starting caliber QB. We don't have that yet, and I'm weary about our success.

It's still very early, but I'm not sure our success will be that good since a lot of teams that underachieved this past year (Carolina, Seattle, St. Louis, Detroit, etc.) will probably be stronger, which will make it much harder for the Falcons to beat up on 6-10 teams in the playoffs (which is the record the Rams should have had last season). Considering we're still having problems with our division rivals, I'm not sure winning the division is something that's "just going to happen."

It's a long road ahead of us before we can say we belong in the same caliber as the Philadelphia Eagles. We're not there yet, and considering the moves we've made so far in free agency, and what I think will happen over the next few months, I don't think we're be there by September.

But as of right now, I see 9-7 and a wildcard should be the target.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:49 pm 
Starter
Starter

Pudge,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your observations. First of all let me correct myself from my previous post I said Adam Snyder when I ment Adam Terry. Brain cramp.

As for Elton Brown, I was using the best athalete at the position theory when I mentioned his name. I figure by that late in the first round Kailef Barnes and Jammal Brown will both be taken so Elton would be the next on the board. A big anchor that could help keep Vick upright for 5 or so seconds with out his having to take off.

Terry is my choice though even if E. Brown is there. His quickness and hand play I think would help give Vick the premiter protection he needed last season. Too many time I saw a speed rush kill the play before it had a chance to develop.

With the strech play in the running game I think Terry could seal block well and open some holes that weren't there last season. He seems to be an aggressive, Mora-type player that will play to the whistle.

I know that if a higher rated position player drops to the Falcons then they would be wise to upgrade or add depth in many areas. With a $113M investment, and speaking strictly in asset protection terms then the O-Line would be my first choice when the draft comes up.