It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: so...was it 'worth it'?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:07 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

HBO? Now that it's all said and done, who thinks it was a 'good thing' a 'bad thing' or 'really doesn't matter'.

I await your well reasoned thoughts with baited breath :ninja:

Post subject: Re: so...was it 'worth it'?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:37 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Didn't watch any of it. Probably good general PR for Arthur.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:46 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I thought it was really bad. I didn't even enjoy watching it!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:01 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:

That'a a first....

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I enjoyed it. I think that it could have been done better, but it was good to see a different angle. I imagine that the Falcons left a lot of film on the cutting room floor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Not being familiar with previous seasons of the show, I was surprised it was only 5 1 hour shows. I enjoyed what I did see, but I was looking for more detail, and more content.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Emmitt wrote:
Cyril wrote:

That'a a first....

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:51 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I thought it ended on a whimper, which sort of colors the whole season negatively. You know, you can watch a good season of a TV show, but if the finale sucks, all you can think about is how the finale sucks and none of the good episodes up to that point.

But it was a solid show. Got some inside looks at the team. Keith Armstrong had an epic rant, Bryan Cox and Mike Tice were great every time they showed up. Roddy looked like he was having fun (a little too much perhaps...), and there was a hint of cojones from Matt Ryan. Overall a solid show. And only a smidge of Vegan Jesus, so that was also good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I've watched this every year, that's why I said bad.....If you don't have many good players then I guess the assistant coaches steal the show?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:17 pm 

Cyril wrote:
I've watched this every year, that's why I said bad.....If you don't have many good players then I guess the assistant coaches steal the show?

OK, I have to disagree on that Cyril. Now you're just being silly.

It's a documentary show that's meant to be entertainment. It's not a reflection of the quality of players you have. It's much more a reflection of the personality of the players you have.

Please stop.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

No Pudge,

In years past I thought they had much more personalities to show(players) and more in depth!! I Thought less on coaches. We got a little Roddy & Ryan they also showed William Moore's house which looked liked it cost 10 million dollars, and a small amount of free agents.

You mentioned 3 assistant coaches and 2 players. Stop It? Stop what!!
I know what kind of show it is since I've watched every season.

My point was since you obviously didn't understand it, was that I felt in past years more players were covered and not so much on Assistant Coaches. That could be wrong but I have watched the show since it started, I couldn't tell you about what happened 5 years ago, but I did
enjoy the past better!!

Yes they showed players getting cut which they do every year, its your
forum, but please don't tell me to stop when I'm being sincere!!

Why didn't you like it as well?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:30 am 

The "star" of last year's season was IMO James Harrison. Sure, he was a big name guy, but he was by no means a good player anymore. But why was Harrison the star? Because his no-nonsense personality always avoided the HBO cameras like the plague, but every now and then he'd slip up and we'd see glimpses of him and it was great television (the rookie talent show episode comes to mind). But what else were the memorable moments from last year? Margus Hunt being a foreigner? Hue Jackson ripping into Gio Bernard? Geno Atkins vs. Jermaine Gresham in the Oklahoma drill? AJ Green getting hurt in a practice? Vontaze BUrfict starting a fight with Steven Jackson? Andy Dalton being Andy Dalton?

The Bengals are/were a very young team with the vast majority of their best players still on their rookie contracts. Thus they're all guys that are a little more vibrant since they're 24 or 25 years old. as well as a team full of guys that other teams thought were character risks, thus having their locker room full of people that had a bit more personality and edge to them.

The Falcons in contrast have a lot more veteran players, that outside Julio Jones, their "stars" are much more established players. Older veterans that like to sit at home with the wife and kids, and living relatively boring lives. Not to mention their focus on good character guys makes them a bunch of choir boys in contrast to other teams.

We don't have a Reggie Bush that was a regular in tabloids when he was involved in a relationship with Kim Kardashian. We don't have Chad Johnson, who is a great soundbite waiting to happen every time he opens his mouth. We don't have a fresh young rookie QB like Ryan Tannehill learning the ropes of being a starting NFL QB. And we didn't a ton of competition in camp this year because again, we have an established roster, so there wasn't a lot to feature some of the UDFAs battling for jobs because the reality is that very few of them would make it. Instead, Hard Knocks decided to focus on the rookies that we knew were going to make the roster (Shembo, Freeman, Matthews, Hageman) and some that were somewhat on the bubble (Allen, Starr).

This is why our season may have not been as compelling. And unfortunately, our head coach was as boring as punch. Joe Philbin was just as boring back in 2012, but at least it was his first year, so the fact that he was new made him a much more compelling watch.

None of these things have to do with the quality of players we have. It has everything to do with the personality of players we have as well as the fact that we were a pretty stable team. It's why they kept inserting ROddy and the other WRs goofing off because they were the least boring players on the team.

If Hard Knocks really wanted to have a truly compelling show, they would have played up the fact that Mike Smith is on the hot seat. But I'm sure the Falcons would have nixed that.

Remember in the last 2 eps when we saw the cuts, they kept showing clips of guys saying how classy the organization was and how open and welcoming it was? That was exaclty how Arthur Blank wanted it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:03 am 
Superstar
Superstar

"Hard Knocks decided to focus on the rookies that we knew were going to make the roster (Shembo, Freeman, Matthews, Hageman) and some that were somewhat on the bubble (Allen, Starr)"

I agree and that's perhaps a reason this "Hard Knocks" was not as good.
If you don't know people, its hard to get to know who they are in a limited time.

Also agree the people need to be interesting!! Agreeded Coach Smith was
so boring it hurt!! I guess I should have said "good players with personalities", but I thought that was obvious and perhaps we don't have many of them!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:14 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
The "star" of last year's season was IMO James Harrison. Sure, he was a big name guy, but he was by no means a good player anymore. But why was Harrison the star? Because his no-nonsense personality always avoided the HBO cameras like the plague, but every now and then he'd slip up and we'd see glimpses of him and it was great television (the rookie talent show episode comes to mind). But what else were the memorable moments from last year? Margus Hunt being a foreigner? Hue Jackson ripping into Gio Bernard? Geno Atkins vs. Jermaine Gresham in the Oklahoma drill? AJ Green getting hurt in a practice? Vontaze BUrfict starting a fight with Steven Jackson? Andy Dalton being Andy Dalton?

The Bengals are/were a very young team with the vast majority of their best players still on their rookie contracts. Thus they're all guys that are a little more vibrant since they're 24 or 25 years old. as well as a team full of guys that other teams thought were character risks, thus having their locker room full of people that had a bit more personality and edge to them.

The Falcons in contrast have a lot more veteran players, that outside Julio Jones, their "stars" are much more established players. Older veterans that like to sit at home with the wife and kids, and living relatively boring lives. Not to mention their focus on good character guys makes them a bunch of choir boys in contrast to other teams.

We don't have a Reggie Bush that was a regular in tabloids when he was involved in a relationship with Kim Kardashian. We don't have Chad Johnson, who is a great soundbite waiting to happen every time he opens his mouth. We don't have a fresh young rookie QB like Ryan Tannehill learning the ropes of being a starting NFL QB. And we didn't a ton of competition in camp this year because again, we have an established roster, so there wasn't a lot to feature some of the UDFAs battling for jobs because the reality is that very few of them would make it. Instead, Hard Knocks decided to focus on the rookies that we knew were going to make the roster (Shembo, Freeman, Matthews, Hageman) and some that were somewhat on the bubble (Allen, Starr).

This is why our season may have not been as compelling. And unfortunately, our head coach was as boring as punch. Joe Philbin was just as boring back in 2012, but at least it was his first year, so the fact that he was new made him a much more compelling watch.

None of these things have to do with the quality of players we have. It has everything to do with the personality of players we have as well as the fact that we were a pretty stable team. It's why they kept inserting ROddy and the other WRs goofing off because they were the least boring players on the team.

If Hard Knocks really wanted to have a truly compelling show, they would have played up the fact that Mike Smith is on the hot seat. But I'm sure the Falcons would have nixed that.

Remember in the last 2 eps when we saw the cuts, they kept showing clips of guys saying how classy the organization was and how open and welcoming it was? That was exaclty how Arthur Blank wanted it.

I think the bolded part is more likely. It's not because we have more 'veterans', it's what the team wanted shown. As I've said before, the deal with HBO is the team AND the league get to vet the show. What you see is what they want you to see.

To be honest, I was unimpressed. But, I haven't had years of watching, so I cant really judge how it stacks up against the past..... :whistle: