PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:30 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://falcfans.com/falcons-cut-10-more ... imit-17226

Falcons Cut 10 More to Get Down to 53-Player Limit
Posted By Aaron Freeman on Aug 30, 2014 | 0 comments
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
Sean Renfree
The Atlanta Falcons announced 10 more roster moves today in their quest to get down to the league’s mandated 53-man roster limit today by 4 p.m. The Falcons cut 2014 fifth-round draft pick cornerback Ricardo Allen and 2011 seventh-round selection defensive tackle Travian Robertson as part of the moves. Safety Sean Baker, wide receivers Jeremy Ebert and Bernard Reedy, offensive linemen Harland Gunn and Terren Jones, tight end Mickey Shuler and linebacker Jacques Smith were cut today. Wide receiver Geraldo Boldewijn was waived with an injury settlement.

These moves indicate that the Falcons have opted to carry three quarterbacks on the roster, with both backups T.J. Yates and Sean Renfree making the team. Allen’s release following yesterday’s move to cut linebacker Yawin Smallwood and a previous placement of linebacker Marquis Spruill on injured reserve means that six of the team’s nine 2014 draft picks made the team.

The Falcons will establish a 10-player practice squad by noon tomorrow and several of the players cut today could be signed. Eight of the ten players released today are eligible for the practice squad under new rules, should they clear waivers. All except Shuler and Boldewijn could be able to be added to the practice squad tomorrow.
Center James Stone is the sole undrafted free agent to make the team. Reedy and Smith were fellow undrafted rookie hopefuls, but are likely to wind up on the practice squad.
Stone got the nod over Gunn, who made the Falcons roster last year. Robertson also made the Falcons roster last season. Baker and Jones both began the year on the Falcons practice squad, but were elevated to the active roster by year’s end. Shuler spent all of last year on the Falcons practice squad. Ebert was signed prior to training camp to shore up depth at wide receiver.

Depending on the terms of his injury settlement, the Falcons will have the opportunity to re-sign Boldewijn later this season. Boldewijn suffered a hamstring injury last week and was held out of the team’s final preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars this past Thursday.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Falcons Cut 10 More to Get Down to 53-Player Limit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:32 pm 

Complaints about the Cuts:

I thought Cliff Matthews played well with the 3rd string units this preseason, and I'm not upset that he made the team. But I am upset that the team dumped Travian Robertson to make it happen. Mainly because Matthews has been a regular on special teams the past 3 years, which has definitely not been the case with Robertson. And because of that, Robertson hasn't played. And the perception is that he isn't very good, when he was arguably besides Babineaux, he's probably had the best preseason of any defensive linemen on the roster. Yet, a guy keeps making plays on defense, and showing that toughness and tenacity that this team wants, meanwhile Tyson Jackson has played absolutely like trash, and Robertson gets dumped?

Malliciah Goodman has to bust his ass on special teams because he has "pay his dues" to get a role on defense. Yet, Tyson Jackson is handed a job when he's never done squat. He's only here because Scott Pioli duped Thomas Dimitroff into keeping him because he's one of his cronies from Kansas City.

Tyson Jackson is fat, slow, and soft. That's how he's played this preseason, and you have a player in Robertson that could be a good developmental nose tackle since Paul Soliai's contract becomes prohibitive in 2016 and will be 32 (which is old for a DT), and Corey Peters is operating under a 1-yr deal and probably will walk if given the chance next year cuz the Falcons "didn't take care" of him when he got hurt and then gave guys like Soliai and Jackson sooooo muuuuch moooney.

Play the best players.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:23 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

A bit shocked you didn't mention having absolutely no future at WR beyond Jones. Reedy should have been kept so that the deep threat isn't 100% Jones-dependant. Instead, we have a backup in case Smith gets hurt not playing offense.

Tyson Jackson is absofuckinglutely horrible, and TD et al should be canned just for this: They will not learn.

BTW, it's not just that TJ plays fat, slow, and soft: he LOOKS fat, slow, and soft. How much more obvious does it need to be?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I wish we would have went with 2 qb's, we cut a few other good players, that could both help us on offense/defense, but also provide more depth/competition on special teams as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:25 pm 

samedi wrote:
A bit shocked you didn't mention having absolutely no future at WR beyond Jones. Reedy should have been kept so that the deep threat isn't 100% Jones-dependant. Instead, we have a backup in case Smith gets hurt not playing offense.

It's very clear due to the fact that they haven't added any real WR talent over past 4 years, since drafting Julio, that this team simply doesn't know WR talent, unless it's blatantly obvious in a player like Jones.

Faith in Kerry Meier because they liked his three cone, their continued insistence that Harry Douglas is valuable when he's been underachieving for 4 straight seasons, fact they haven't drafted WR in past 3 drafts, are all these signs. So why would I expect them to realize that Reedy has some value (not a ton) that is worth developing vs. keeping an over the hill and mediocre gunner on special teams.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:37 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I agree that that certainly is their history.

However, does what you wrote up in your first reply really qualify as a "surprise" either? There have been very, very few good personnel decisions on this team. (Although, I still would say drafting Julio over the five crappy players they would have drafted instead is still a net gain.) Atlanta cuts/doesn't reasonable developmental project to hang on to some white guy with "promise?" Kroy, Kerry, Konz . . . oh, hey.

Working in public education, I really adhere to the belief that intelligent people frequently credit simpletons with agency and planning that they simply don't have, if only to avoid saying, "Wow, they are that dumb" ad infinitum.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:00 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Have to agree with everything said here..
We are probably the one team in the NFL that completely overvalues ST and regularly decides to keep role-players that play ST rather than develop talent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:46 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

So why would I expect them to realize that Reedy has some value (not a ton) that is worth developing vs. keeping an over the hill and mediocre gunner on special teams.But I am upset that the team dumped Travian Robertson!!

Me too!! I swear Thomas D. just doesn't have it!! I don't know, he once did good, but he's completely lost it!! I hate going into the season thinking your team just can't be good, but we can't.

Reedy was faster than most!!