It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:49 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:02 pm
Posts: 6585
Location: Indianapolis IN
I was hoping he would make the roster. I think he'll stick with someone and hope the Falcs would consider him. His production was good in the preseason but then again probably against reserves. I think he could be a special teams standout at least and the Falcs need help there. Who knows with some time in the league could develop into a spot player during games and make some big plays.


http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11431 ... louis-rams

_________________
Sometimes running the Mularkey offense makes me feel like I'm in a prison.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:43 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25966
Location: North Carolina
Problem is Falcons are moving towards 3-4, and Sam isn't a great fit there. He'd have to lose some weight. Don't see him on their radar.

If Falcons wanna upgrade their pass rush, they'd trade for either Brandon Graham, Mike Neal or Jabaal Sheard.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:10 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 pm
Posts: 2397
Location: Albany NY
Pudge is right, he doesn't fit what we do, at the same time, I thought his play was impressive and at worst he will end up on someone's practice squad.

_________________
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:10 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5006
DaveWaz wrote:
Pudge is right, he doesn't fit what we do, at the same time, I thought his play was impressive and at worst he will end up on someone's practice squad.



If Sam doesn't make a practice squad somewhere, I am calling B.S.

I realize the guy wasn't a 'beast', but the more I see what is happening within the NFL, I am beginning to think the fix is in.

Tim Tebow, Incognito, Kerry Rhodes, Micheal Sam. All are 'moderately' talented.

Yeah, Micheal Sam is undersized, but he was the SEC defensive player of the year last year. Tim Tebow had a playoff win. Kerry Rhodes was easily a decent free agent at a time when safeties were scarce. Incognito I guess an argument could be made that he just flat out sucks. Or, maybe the carnival he brings isn't 'worth it'.

But if Sam doesn't get picked up by someone, and is out of the league and playing in Canada, I'm calling absolute horsesh*t. This is collusion, nothing else.

Look at the bigger picture.

Tony Dungy got in hot water for suggesting any team that brought in Sam was going to court controversy. So, the Rams pick him up. The Rams were already deep at DE, and in their defense 'maybe' they thought he would work out. But why waste that pick? That would be like us using a #7 pick on WR. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

So, the team with good players and depth at DE brings in an undersized guy, who then cannot break out, and they can ' we think he can play in this league, just not for us'. waaaaay to convenient...

the really disturbing thing is Mrs Rhodes. I mean, I am sorry, but this guy is gay as hell, and it's really,really sad that he is reduced to doing stuff like this:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10477 ... lacklisted

Eventually, he is going to come out. And when he does, he is going to say he denied all the rumors at the time, because he was afraid the league would not give him a legit shot if he 'came out'. And in light of the recent PR moves by the NFL concerning domestic violence, I think there is a case to be made that this league still has a problem with the media, and J.A.G.'s that bring the 'carnival' with them often get frozen out. And that's pretty sorry.

Now, hopefully Sam will find a practice squad spot, but if he doesn't, I think the guy got screwed, and the NFL is setting a precedent that players to follow will have to 'stay in the closet', and I think that is all kinds of f*cked up :down:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:34 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:02 pm
Posts: 6585
Location: Indianapolis IN
Reading on the roost someone mentioned the reason Sam got cut is he didn't practice hard. All I know he did well in preseason even though he was playing against backups most likely. He should find a place on an NFL roster somewhere. If he gets blackballed because of the media attention thing then yes Sam got short changed.

_________________
Sometimes running the Mularkey offense makes me feel like I'm in a prison.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:20 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3152
thescout wrote:
I was hoping he would make the roster. I think he'll stick with someone and hope the Falcs would consider him. His production was good in the preseason but then again probably against reserves. I think he could be a special teams standout at least and the Falcs need help there. Who knows with some time in the league could develop into a spot player during games and make some big plays.


http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11431 ... louis-rams


He's a 7th round pick that got cut. No one and I mean no one would even be talking about this guy being a FA if he wasn't gay.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:36 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Planet Claire
So, all 32 teams have been talking amongst themselves and have decided "we" are gonna block this guy? Find that very unlikely. All 32 teams deciding independently that they would rather not deal with the media circus Sam has attracted...possibly. Tracy Rocker was an Outland Trophy winner at Auburn and I don't think he ever played a snap in an NFL game...or very few. His brother was an also ran in college and played for years in the Bigs. Point being, college game does not always translate to pros...no new news there. I wouldn't want him on my team just from the media circus POV unless he was unquestionable NFL material. Ever since he left college they have speculated his talent was marginal.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:10 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4588
He's a 7th round pick that got cut.

YEA, I mean I'm convinced if you can play in this league you will!!

However if your a marginal talent coaches can cut you for anything.... Some don't learn the plays quick enough, if you don't get along in the locker room; they will get rid of a low talent guy for any reason!!

If it was all that some are somewhat suggesting, he wouldn't have been picked at all!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:12 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5006
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
thescout wrote:
I was hoping he would make the roster. I think he'll stick with someone and hope the Falcs would consider him. His production was good in the preseason but then again probably against reserves. I think he could be a special teams standout at least and the Falcs need help there. Who knows with some time in the league could develop into a spot player during games and make some big plays.


http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11431 ... louis-rams


He's a 7th round pick that got cut. No one and I mean no one would even be talking about this guy being a FA if he wasn't gay.



um, he was the SEC defensive player of the year. he didn't exactly stink playing against scrubs. I am willing to admit he is J.A.G but if no other team even sniffs him for a practice squad spot, then that argument is invalid, because I am saying the only reason he is being passed on is because he is gay, and outspoken, unlike Rhodes.

The "media circus" is complete bullshiat to cover up institutional discrimination. The Rams don't have a place for him? I can see that. 31 other teams don't? Not a chance.


Adam Schefter noted on Twitter last night that 12 people had at least 2.5 sacks in the preseason. Ten of them made a 53-man roster. One made a practice squad. The other is Michael Sam, who has yet to find work.

I don't want to believe this. But, lately the NFL is doing weird PR stuff and I do not think I can extend the benefit of the doubt.

Okay: the guy was a 7th round pick. Fine. Can someone 'splain why of all the teams that had a seventh round pick, one team absolutely stacked at his position would select him? Like I said, this just doesn't fit.

Consider this scenario. The draft comes and goes, and not one team picks him in seven rounds. For the league, that invites an a$$load of bad press, i.e. 'homophobic NFL shuts out the *outspoken* gay man".

I mean, they have dealt with Vick, Tebow, etc..They aren't exactly novices.

So what do you do to 'protect the shield'?

If I am in the war room, I make a call to the Rams ( or some other team with good DE's and depth) ...And I explain to them that the league is in a difficult situation. One that could damage the revenue. I say 'now, I am not telling you what to do with your last pick, but lets just say you choose this guy, and he works out: that's great. But if he doesn't, you can cut him and we will all look like he was given every fair chance.'

So, why would the Rams ( or any other team for that matter ) go along? Because a little ' go along to get along' can be nicely and quietly rewarded down season free from accusation. One of the Rams players does something that would require a 2-4 game suspension? Maybe after the players union appeals, the sentence is reduced, it's not an outright payoff, it can stand scrutiny. If I was the Rams, I would do this deal. In fact, I would be pissed as a Rams fan if they did not. Everybody kisses up to the boss.


The cynic in me wants to say it was an arrangement made between the Rams/NFL and Sam's representatives to have give him a shot near where he made his name in college. After his combine workout (quite poor frankly) it may have been his only shot to make whatever "history" he made by being drafted.

There was an NFL reporter on the radio this morning, essentially saying that he's heard from a few sources (including an NFL exec and a current player) that the Sam would probably be on a practice squad somewhere (or maybe even the 53rd guy on a roster), except no one wants to deal with ESPN for a backup to a backup.

Look, Pudge says Sam isn't a good fit for us, even as a p.s. player. Okay, but does anyone think FReddie Martino is what we need? I'll make the argument Sam>Martino as a p.s. project. We could stash him on the p.s., and if he gets pressed into service, were f*cked anyways. But we could give him a year, bulk him up, and maybe next year he might be worth a look. Way more then Goldilocks would. Is Martino gonna be here in two years? I think not.

I am going to go with the belief that if this guy is out, like Rhodes and Tebow, it was more about the media then the 'talent'. I could be wrong, I have been before. Or, so Pudge tells me :whistle:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:43 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3152
Quote:
Analysis

Strengths Good arm length. Anticipates the snap and has a very good initial first step. Plays hard -- gives great effort and competes every down. Good on-field intensity and demeanor. Attacks the edges aggressively and motor runs hot. Outstanding weight-room strength -- can squat a small house. Very durable.

Weaknesses Lacks burst and acceleration off the edge to get a step on blockers and finish. Sack production results from effort and production flushed to him and is not creatively produced with savvy pass-rush moves, speed, power or bend. Average hip flexibility and snap -- struggles clearing his hips at the top of his rush and trimming the corner. Adequate anchor vs. the run. Is late to disengage from blocks. Does not strike with authority. Inconsistent tackler. Late bloomer who could require time to adapt to the pro game.

Bottom Line A productive, 4-3 weakside rusher who came on as a senior and it made his last season his best. Could fit most ideally as a 3-4 outside linebacker in a zone-blitzing scheme like the Steelers or Ravens. Compares favorably to Chargers 2009 first-round pick Larry English, an overhyped, overdrafted, marginal producer in the pros.


J.A.G


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:47 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4277
It's also possible that teams are giving this some time... It wouldn't surprise me for Sam to end up on someone's practice squad before week 4, after some people go down with injuries. In such a situation, it's quite possible that the media train will have passed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:54 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2115
Location: Deepinthehearta
fun gus wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
thescout wrote:
I was hoping he would make the roster. I think he'll stick with someone and hope the Falcs would consider him. His production was good in the preseason but then again probably against reserves. I think he could be a special teams standout at least and the Falcs need help there. Who knows with some time in the league could develop into a spot player during games and make some big plays.


http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11431 ... louis-rams


He's a 7th round pick that got cut. No one and I mean no one would even be talking about this guy being a FA if he wasn't gay.



um, he was the SEC defensive player of the year. he didn't exactly stink playing against scrubs. I am willing to admit he is J.A.G but if no other team even sniffs him for a practice squad spot, then that argument is invalid, because I am saying the only reason he is being passed on is because he is gay, and outspoken, unlike Rhodes.

The "media circus" is complete bullshiat to cover up institutional discrimination. The Rams don't have a place for him? I can see that. 31 other teams don't? Not a chance.


Adam Schefter noted on Twitter last night that 12 people had at least 2.5 sacks in the preseason. Ten of them made a 53-man roster. One made a practice squad. The other is Michael Sam, who has yet to find work.

I don't want to believe this. But, lately the NFL is doing weird PR stuff and I do not think I can extend the benefit of the doubt.

Okay: the guy was a 7th round pick. Fine. Can someone 'splain why of all the teams that had a seventh round pick, one team absolutely stacked at his position would select him? Like I said, this just doesn't fit.

Consider this scenario. The draft comes and goes, and not one team picks him in seven rounds. For the league, that invites an a$$load of bad press, i.e. 'homophobic NFL shuts out the *outspoken* gay man".

I mean, they have dealt with Vick, Tebow, etc..They aren't exactly novices.

So what do you do to 'protect the shield'?

If I am in the war room, I make a call to the Rams ( or some other team with good DE's and depth) ...And I explain to them that the league is in a difficult situation. One that could damage the revenue. I say 'now, I am not telling you what to do with your last pick, but lets just say you choose this guy, and he works out: that's great. But if he doesn't, you can cut him and we will all look like he was given every fair chance.'

So, why would the Rams ( or any other team for that matter ) go along? Because a little ' go along to get along' can be nicely and quietly rewarded down season free from accusation. One of the Rams players does something that would require a 2-4 game suspension? Maybe after the players union appeals, the sentence is reduced, it's not an outright payoff, it can stand scrutiny. If I was the Rams, I would do this deal. In fact, I would be pissed as a Rams fan if they did not. Everybody kisses up to the boss.


The cynic in me wants to say it was an arrangement made between the Rams/NFL and Sam's representatives to have give him a shot near where he made his name in college. After his combine workout (quite poor frankly) it may have been his only shot to make whatever "history" he made by being drafted.

There was an NFL reporter on the radio this morning, essentially saying that he's heard from a few sources (including an NFL exec and a current player) that the Sam would probably be on a practice squad somewhere (or maybe even the 53rd guy on a roster), except no one wants to deal with ESPN for a backup to a backup.

Look, Pudge says Sam isn't a good fit for us, even as a p.s. player. Okay, but does anyone think FReddie Martino is what we need? I'll make the argument Sam>Martino as a p.s. project. We could stash him on the p.s., and if he gets pressed into service, were f*cked anyways. But we could give him a year, bulk him up, and maybe next year he might be worth a look. Way more then Goldilocks would. Is Martino gonna be here in two years? I think not.

I am going to go with the belief that if this guy is out, like Rhodes and Tebow, it was more about the media then the 'talent'. I could be wrong, I have been before. Or, so Pudge tells me :whistle:


History is littered with good college players that were not fit for the pro game. Look at this list of Heisman trophy winners and then look how many were terrible in the pros or never even made it there.. Gino Torreta? Danny Wuerffel? Jason White, Eric Crouch? Puhlease. Wait until the crab man comes out and gets ignored.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_He ... hy_winners

Take that "SEC defensive player of the year" and go back into the land of make believe where that matters at all to a pro scout or means anything in training camp.

_________________
Fantasy League Champion 2010
Pick Em Co-Champion 2011

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:03 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5006
[quote="Wease"][quote="fun gus"][quote="AngryJohnny51"][quote="thescout"] Wait until the crab man comes out and gets ignored.

quote]


Octomom two, Seafood Boogaloo.

Im particularly going to enjoy this :dance:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:07 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Planet Claire
We can play connect the dots all day. Who was that QB the Falcs had back in the Glanville Era that blew up in pre-season...Renfro or something? Didn't make the team because he was black was the scuttlebutt back then. So Sam has a bad combine but that can't be because he isn't NFL caliber talent, can it? If he were J. Clowney caliber talent people would be lining up to suck his dick.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5006
backnblack wrote:
We can play connect the dots all day. Who was that QB the Falcs had back in the Glanville Era that blew up in pre-season...Renfro or something? Didn't make the team because he was black was the scuttlebutt back then. So Sam has a bad combine but that can't be because he isn't NFL caliber talent, can it? If he were J. Clowney caliber talent people would be lining up to suck his dick.



was this guy gay? if Clowney was a fruit, you think that would not hurt his status?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: cmon y'all.

We all like to pretend its 'not an issue'. I don't want it to be. But it is there, because this K Rhodes and perhaps Mughelli hide their sexuality to make $$. I am just putting it out there. It is an issue. In years to come, it will come out, like all civil rights stuff, and the guys b*tching about it will still look like haters.

I cannot wait :mrgreen:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:33 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Planet Claire
It may be an issue just as many other things may be issues with players. But if he were good enough it would not keep him out of the league. He is no Jackie Robinson but there were players on Jackie's teams and in the org that did not want him either...not because they were bigots but because they did not want the circus. And there were also bigots just as there are now "homophobes" and what is funny to me is that people cannot accept that there will always be such people and there always have been and they still manage to work or live along side people whose lifestyle or whatever they don't approve of or like. There are guys in every little Podunk town out there that everyone knows are gay and they are often quite successful. Do people embrace or champion their lifestyle? No. Do they tolerate it? Yes. The PC crowd seems like they are at a point where if you don't love watching two men kiss then you are a homophobe...sort of in the vein of if you disagree with anything done by the Jews (as political group) you are a Nazi. The sanctimonious hypocrisy of it is simply absurd. FG, you are the one who pooh poohs the whole "bullying" band wagon. Get on Incognito's case. :lol:

For his sake, I'd love to see MS make it in the league and if he does it would not validate the argument that he was overlooked due to his sexual orientation any more than the fact that John Randall was once on the Falcon's practice squad and wound up in the HOF validates anything besides it is an imperfect science. Were black QBs given equal shots back in the day? I'd say not. Was Renfro NFL material? I'd say not...not the right dot.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:26 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 pm
Posts: 2397
Location: Albany NY
He is about to sign with the Cowboys, he's a great fit for Big D.......

_________________
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Planet Claire
Kind of hard to get too misty eyed for the "under dog" who was second in jersey sales this summer. Jerry Jones must have missed the memo or is this him wildcatting again??? Dammit, Jerry.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:00 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25966
Location: North Carolina
Michael Sam is no worse an NFL prospect than Stansly Maponga, Lawrence Sidbury, or Cliff Matthews are. So the idea that he cannot get a job, and those other guys can, makes me think something is fishy...if it's just about whether he can play, and all the "other stuff" doesn't matter...

I don't think fun gus would even say Sam is great. But he's a competent, young pass-rusher at a premium position. The fact that he's struggling this hard to get a job, hints at the possibility that the other factors are creeping in. Don't people remember Stansly Maponga last summer? He didn't absolutely squadoosh. But he showed improvement from Year 1 to Year 2 (as Sidbury & Matthews also did) and has now grown into a competent NFL backup. The same should be expected of Sam.

There was a player for Oakland last summer by the name of David Bass. 7th round pick out of Missouri Western State, had a decent preseason (, flashed a couple of times. His PFF grades and production were nearly identical to Sam's this past summer. Certainly played well enough to make the Raiders roster. But the Raiders cut him, and he was instantly picked up by the Chicago Bears. Finished the year and had 1 sack with the Bears and made the team again this year. Why did the Bears scoop him up? Because they recognized ability and his potential. They put him on their roster and didn't bat an eye.

And yet Sam struggles to get a shot at the practice squad?

backnblack wrote:
He is no Jackie Robinson but there were players on Jackie's teams and in the org that did not want him either...not because they were bigots but because they did not want the circus.

Well, if a guy hits .297, then you better be willing to deal with the circus. Athletes generally only care about winning and whether or not a guy can play. And I would say if guys didn't want Jackie Robinson on their team it was because either: A) They were bigoted or B) Didn't think he could play, which probably was rooted in bigotry or at the very least sheer ignorance of how great the players in the Negro Leagues were, so it's hard to justify someone's aversion to a player like Robinson as not being directly related to race.

backnblack wrote:
what is funny to me is that people cannot accept that there will always be such people and there always have been and they still manage to work or live along side people whose lifestyle or whatever they don't approve of or like. There are guys in every little Podunk town out there that everyone knows are gay and they are often quite successful. Do people embrace or champion their lifestyle? No. Do they tolerate it? Yes.

The difference being that those people are working/living alongside homosexuals, and don't have control on whether those homosexuals have a job. I'm sure if those people were in positions of power, there would be a lot less tolerance.

The issue isn't with the peripheral folks, it's with the people in power. It's the 32 GMs, 32 owners and 32 head coaches that are charged with making these types of decisions: the Trent Lotts of the NFL world. And if just 5 of them have "issues" now there's a 15% less chance that Sam finds a job because of something that is out of his control. And given that most of those people in power are of a demographic more similar to Trent Lott, then it's probably a safe assumption that it's a lot more than 5 that have "issues."

Again, Sam is a young pass-rusher. He's going to get better. This isn't like Tebow in the sense where Tebow had been in the league for 4 years and not shown any substantial improvement as a passer. Tebow may "win games" but if he was asked to throw an 8-yard quick out 100 times, it would likely wind up in 100 different places because of his scattershot accuracy. That's not good for a quarterback and thus a coach has a much more legitimate excuse for "avoiding the circus." There is nothing wrong with Sam's game that is anymore wrong with guys like Maponga or Bass or any other late-round/undrafted caliber rookie.

Now all that being said, if I was in the Falcons shoes, I probably would not sign him just because he's not much of a scheme fit. There are better options that are available to you that are a bit more comfortable dropping/playing in space as you want in a 3-4 OLB and the simply reality is that there's a 95% chance the Falcons are going to take a Khalil Mack/Dee Ford-esque player at the top of next year's draft, so Sam would again be marginalized next summer.

As for the "circus," that is/was vastly overrated. Nobody was talking about Michael Sam from June to August. And they only started talking about him in August again because he started making plays. Had he had a ho-hum and non-descript summer with the Rams, then there wouldn't have been the weekly updates on ESPN and NFL Network highlighting his plays. And then again, if he's on your practice squad, how much of that distraction can he be? Clearly, the media may ask you about it, but at a certain point they will stop (probably after 1 week). It will only come up again if you have an injury and are forced to elevate him to your active roster. But again, how much of a distraction is it really to have a 5-minute segment of a 3rd string player on Total Access or SportsCenter once a week? How is that really going to fracture your locker room? People act like players are idiots, like they don't get what's going on. Is someone really going to be stewing about all the attention Michael Sam may or may not be getting, and then proceed to crap the bed on game days?

It's only as much as a distraction as a team allows it to be. Look at Tebow last summer. Didn't Belichick put the clamps on that pretty much right away? And we only talked about Tebow from that point on to discuss how terrible a player he was, right?

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:02 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5006
Pudge wrote:

I don't think fun gus would even say Sam is great. But he's a competent, young pass-rusher at a premium position. The fact that he's struggling this hard to get a job, hints at the possibility that the other factors are creeping in.



Pudge gets it. :up:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:05 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Planet Claire
Right...and to quote Pudge, "This is America--everything is racial." We all possess a certain perspective on things. Again, Sam is allegedly signed by the Cowboys. So is the problem that the Rams cut him or that he didn't get signed fast enough by other teams?

Let's play the inclusion game. Suppose there is a guy who is an admitted "white supremist" who has publicly come out and said, "I have no problem with other races. I just don't think we should mix. It is against my religious views." Would he have trouble being signed to a practice squad were he a bubble player? Keep in mind he cannot help the way he feels about this but he did call a press conference to announce it.

It's really easy to sit back and sanctimoniously speculate why someone else does what they do or what you would do if you were in the same position when you know you are never ever going to be in that position. Is there prejudice towards gays? No doubt. Always has been and always will be. Is this the reason MS got cut by the Rams and wasn't picked up lightning fast after clearing waivers? We don't know that. If it makes you feel more open minded to say so then that's your right. Being offended or disrespected is the national past time. Come aboard!

True what you say about athletes mainly being concerned about winning, Pudge. Sam's Mizzou team apparently had no problem with him and I expect an NFL team would be similar. Managers like winning too. It keeps them all employed. Managing people is one of the sloppiest jobs on the planet because, generally speaking, each and every one of them thinks they can do it better than you. As with all issues there are three sides--your side, my side and the truth.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5006
backnblack wrote:
Right...and to quote Pudge, "This is America--everything is racial." We all possess a certain perspective on things. Again, Sam is allegedly signed by the Cowboys. So is the problem that the Rams cut him or that he didn't get signed fast enough by other teams?.




I think we have lost track of my original thought. I simply commented HAD M.S. NOT been picked up by SOMEONE in the NFL, there was probably more to the story then 'he sucks'. I stand by that observation.

It 'appears' he will be going to the Cowboys. I'm fine with that. I always maintained he was 'okay', not 'fabulous'. But, IMO, he was 'okay enough' to earn a roster spot.

And, I don't think race had anything to do with it. If he was a gay white guy, there would still be this issue. In fact, this attitude covers most contact sports. We saw what happened in the NBA when they broke the 'gay barrier'.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/2 ... 07185.html

There were *many* who said openly 'the only reason Collin's even made a team is because he is gay'.

This NFL story is not even an hour old. I gay ron tee you before the day is done, some idiot is going to say 'the only reason MS made a team is because he likes to smoke poles'.

If 'winning' was the only component, then why would the cowboys be doing this?:



"The Cowboys spent Tuesday calling their own players to gauge reaction to making Sam a Cowboy. With the Rams out of the picture, Dallas looms as a solid fit for last year's SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year because of the team's 4-3 scheme and a desperate need for help on defense."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... tice-squad


Why do that? If your the boss, and you write the checks, and a gay guy 'might' help you win more games, or provide depth, or push other players to play better: you tell the team to STFU. But, that's not what happened. Instead, they had to spend a day making sure nobody 'had a problem'. That, to me, says they still have a problem.

Being a gay guy in a creative field is nothing 'new'. Being an openly gay dude in a man on man contact sport is 'new'.

kudos to the Cowboys for not being too afraid of upsetting the apple cart vs doing the best thing for your team. For the record, I doubt Sam ever gets off the practice squad. But, at least he is not being denied a chance to compete.

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:36 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3152
Quote:
I think we have lost track of my original thought. I simply commented HAD M.S. NOT been picked up by SOMEONE in the NFL, there was probably more to the story then 'he sucks'. I stand by that observation


So when the Cowboys cut him, are we gonna have this conversation again....until all 32 teams sign him? At some point enough is enough.

I stand by my observation. The 249th pick in the draft probably gets cut and remains unsigned quite often throughout NFL history.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:11 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2115
Location: Deepinthehearta
fun gus wrote:
Wease wrote:
fun gus wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
thescout wrote:
Wait until the crab man comes out and gets ignored.

quote]


Octomom two, Seafood Boogaloo.

Im particularly going to enjoy this :dance:



Reality 1 Fungus 0

_________________
Fantasy League Champion 2010
Pick Em Co-Champion 2011

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam Gets Cut by Rams
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:25 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Planet Claire
His race has nothing to do with it, FG, I was using the Jackie R analogy because this is being framed in a civil rights type scenario. And, by the way, had you guys taken the opposite stance I would have probably taken yours. My main point is that you can only speculate as to what a person or team's motivation is and even that is myriad. And it is very true about gay being new to sports and not other areas. The word homophobe is used in a saw offed shotgun kind of way just like racist or anti-Semitic. Someone was telling me not long ago where a survey was conducted and folks were asked whether they would rather be identified as a racist or a cannibal and over half chose the latter. Reason left the building a good while back.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: