It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons Record prediction
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

After lots of thought and multiple other predictions for the year on this board, my final 2014 prediction is for the Falcons to go..............10-6

I think we will be lighting teams up in the passing game, and while the D will be bad, it won't be terrible.

Let's get your predictions on record ladies :lol:

Post subject: Re: Falcons Record prediction
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:51 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

8-8

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:27 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Two more key injuries someplace, most likely one at WR, and we go 6-10. Prove me wrong, Falcons, PROVE ME WRONG PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! :up:

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:37 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

9-7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Everybody gets injuries, we are still going 6-10 though. We won 4 games last year, so winning 6 is a big improvement. We'll get worse each game as we really only have about 3 decent players!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:25 pm 

I'll say 9-7 this year. Just not enough playmakers on defense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:36 pm 

The Falcons are lucky enough to have some sub-par offenses on the schedule out of division which helps. But, I don't see this team going better than 7-9 unless everyone stays healthy and plays over their heads again.

A few x-factors for me. If Davonte Freeman gets some shots and shows what he showed in the pre-season I'm feeling pretty good about the future of RB between Freeman and Smith. It seems to me that this year will be a gelling year for the O-Line. The only roster spot that seems in question for the next few years would be RT but I think LT to RG are all pretty well set now.

It is possible that Alford and/or Trufant have the dreaded sophomore slump. If that happens God help our defense.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We were 4-12 last year.........

Do you guys think we really did much to upgrade our team??

Its hard to only win 4 games, I just can't see the reasons for anyone thinking we're moving to 8-8 or better. Can you guys tell what the team did
to win 4 more games or twice as many as last year??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:35 pm 
Starter
Starter

5-11. The defense will be bad and after we start 0-2 the wheels will start to fall off. Any serious injury to Roddy or Julio early in the season would make things even worse than 5-11. Just don't see how signing retreads that KC didn't want will make our team better. Hope I am dead wrong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:18 pm 

Cyril wrote:

Its hard to only win 4 games, I just can't see the reasons for anyone thinking we're moving to 8-8 or better. Can you guys tell what the team did

We were 4-12 last year because of bad coaching. There was no reason for this team to not finish at least 6-10. REmember we lost by 30 points to a 1-win team because of our terrible coach.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:00 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:
Cyril wrote:

We were 4-12 last year because of bad coaching. There was no reason for this team to not finish at least 6-10. REmember we lost by 30 points to a 1-win team because of our terrible coach.

:lol: All right, Birdman Junior!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:12 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_ ... every-team

Atlanta
Falcons
2013 Record: 4-12 3rd in NFC South

Offense should rebound; D has questions

by Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

SECRET SUPERSTAR
DT Paul Soliai

The former Dolphin should beef up Atlanta's front four: His 3.6 Pro Football Focus grade against the run was tied for 18th and ranked better than all Falcons DTs. And his five batted balls in 2013 was second most among DTs.
-- Sam Monson
best & worst

Will win 10 if the offense gets close to its scary-high ceiling with Julio Jones and Roddy White healthy again.

Will win 6 if the edge rushers play the way they did in '13 (T29 with 32 sacks) and a young LB corps can't stop the run.
-- Field Yates

GAME-BY-GAME PREDICTIONS

By Advanced Football Analytics
Falcons' Projected Record

7-9
WIN LOSS

Sept. 7 vs. NO 24-10
Sept. 14 @ CIN 27-20
Sept. 18 vs. TB 34-17
Sept. 28 @ MIN 34-29
Oct. 5 @ NYG 34-17
Oct. 12 vs. CHI 27-14
Oct. 19 @ BAL 21-6
Oct. 26 vs. DET* 36-13
Nov. 9 @ TB 22-19
Nov. 16 @ CAR 31-13
Nov. 23 vs. CLE 27-16
Nov. 30 vs. ARI 26-7
Dec. 8 @ GB 31-20
Dec. 14 vs. PIT 22-10
Dec. 21 @ NO 28-20
Dec. 28 vs. CAR 31-17
* In London

Vegas Vibe

By LVH SuperBook
Super Bowl Odds

60-1
Over/Under Wins

More NFL

Keeping Up With Jones

How important is Julio Jones to the Falcons? Panic ensued when the media didn't immediately see Jones, who missed the final 11 games last season with a broken foot, at the start of organized team activities. But watching Jones cut on a dime while running routes this summer made it easy to believe his game-breaking ability will be in tip-top shape. (Jones' 6.5 yards after catch since 2011 is second to only Percy Harvin among receivers with 150 catches.) "I feel great," Jones says. "I'm back doing the little things that I used to do. I'm back to the old Julio." Old Julio? The Falcons would prefer that their 25-year-old star be as good as new for the season opener vs. New Orleans.
Best-Kept Secret

Pulling the center will be much more of a factor in the Falcons' offense this season, a concept new offensive line coach Mike Tice used plenty in his days working with Matt Birk and Jeff Christy in Minnesota. Tice wants to take advantage of the athleticism he has in Joe Hawley. Getting Hawley out and pulling should only help enhance a run game that averaged just 3.9 yards per play a year ago. Tice also strongly believes in left guard Justin Blalock's ability to pull, despite some previous doubts about Blalock's footwork.
Worst-kept secret

The Falcons' pass rush was virtually nonexistent last year -- and on paper it hasn't gotten much better. The lack of elite pass-rusher is magnified when you see opponents such as Greg Hardy and Cameron Jordan in the NFC South. The Falcons hope bulking up the defensive line with Paul Soliai and Tyson Jackson will help shut down the run, lead to opponents being more one-dimensional and create more third-and-long situations. But they still need a player or two to emerge as consistent pass-rushers, which might be a tall task.

Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports

QB Confidential

As told to NFL Nation, an active player gives his assessment of QB Matt Ryan:

"If you sit back on Matt Ryan, he will pick you apart. He's one of the better throwers, pure passers, in our league. He can put the ball on a dime, and he can throw one of the prettiest deep balls. ... You have to be able to press their receivers. If you disrupt their timing and get in their face, then he gets a little antsy. He moves a lot more in the pocket once the receivers aren't wide open. You have to take that security blanket away from him."
Make-or-break stretch

A five-game stretch before the Falcons' Oct. 26 trip to London to face the Lions could reveal a lot about which way the team is headed. It starts with a Thursday night game against the improved Buccaneers at the Georgia Dome. Then the Falcons have three road games -- at Minnesota, the New York Giants and Baltimore -- in a four-game span. The Falcons could face an 0-2 start to the season with the opener against New Orleans and a road trip to Cincinnati, which makes Weeks 3-7 that much more important.
McClure's prediction

Advanced Football Analytics has the Falcons improving by three wins from last season, to seven. I'm more optimistic about their chances of rebounding, although that won't necessarily translate into a playoff spot. I see the Falcons going 9-7, which won't be good enough to win the NFC South. With help, maybe they'll be in contention for one of the two wild-card berths. Then again, the NFC wild-card teams had double-digit wins last season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
"Pudge wrote" We were 4-12 last year because of bad coaching. There was no reason for this team to not finish at least 6-10. REmember we lost by 30 points to a 1-win team because of our terrible coach.

Well that's so simple to say. Tell me the players who were going to get us those 2 more wins??

Look I'm saying their talent still sucks, so they go maybe the 6-10; you say they should have gone that last year. 6-10 is terrible!! When they go 6-10 are you still going to blame the coaches?? That's what your expecting so 6-10
should be the team playing up to your expectations......

Last year I believe you called for 10+ wins and just couldn't deal with being so wrong!! Your often wrong, just like all of us!! Not saying your not right some too, football is just hard to call in preseason!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge sorry, I see your guessing we'll go 8-8. Well start blaming the coaches right now, because we are not going 8-8. We play an easy schedule but we still don't have the players......

No defense!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I will say 9-7 so long as Matt Ryan and Julio Jones play 13 games. If either of them miss more than 3 games, you might as well count those extra games as losses. Welcome to Detroit South.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

10-6, but could see +/- 1

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 pm 

Cyril wrote:
Quote:
"Pudge wrote" We were 4-12 last year because of bad coaching. There was no reason for this team to not finish at least 6-10. REmember we lost by 30 points to a 1-win team because of our terrible coach.

Well that's so simple to say. Tell me the players who were going to get us those 2 more wins??

Better gameplanning should have netted us 2 more wins. After week 9 last year, there was only 1 game where the Falcons had 2 designed deep shots in the 1st quarter of a game. That was their Week 17 game against the Panthers, which was also the game where the OL played the poorest in that 9-game span. Again, the link between the Falcons conservative and poor blocking is flimsy at best. Packers game was another game where the Falcons waited until the 58th minute of the game before trying to dial up a big play.

If Falcons don't go 8-8 this year, I probably won't blame coaching. This team has 8-8 talent, and thus if a couple of things go wrong, then it's easily 6-10.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yes we may have 8-8 talent. I've said 6-10 but its very hard to evaluate talent in the preseason. The coaches play their players less and less,I guess to lessen injuries.

You would think Ryan, Julio & Roddy would bring us 8 wins if the coaches
just manage average lines. Some things will go wrong, they always do for most teams, that's why we need more good players to start the season.

I was thinking to myself this week, that at 5 million a year perhaps Coach Smith and Thomas D. are getting tired of Atlanta. The 5 million meaning those two guys could relax 10 years and still have 2-3 million left....

I'm so tired of opponents keeping their offense on the field 10 minutes then scoring a T.D. while we struggle for first downs!!

Maybe it will be different this year?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 pm 

Have to hope some of the defensive players step up. I am tired of mediocrity on the defense and TD as had 7 yrs to build the defense. It's time for some players to step up or be shown the door. It's really amazing when you compare the more successful franchises like San Fran and Seattle's drafting records vs the Falcons. We can't seem to find playmakers if our life depended on it for the most part yet the loaded teams find them with regularity. The Falcons survive largely because of the offense outscoring opponents. Yes that is nice but when you play an opponent that has a good defense and offense you run into trouble. I hope going to the 3-4 will be more successful. Lets not kid ourselves it will take time to build the 3-4 defense with the right players.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:23 am 

Cyril wrote:
I'm so tired of opponents keeping their offense on the field 10 minutes then scoring a T.D. while we struggle for first downs!!

Without going down the 2013 rabbit hole too much again, you've danced around my issue with the Falcons gameplanning. Our defense stunk last year. It could hold serve for maybe 1, 2 quarters before it eventually crumbled. And during those 1 or 2 quarters, the Falcons should have been trying their best to put points on the board, by dialing up as many big plays as possible. For 5 years, we had won with ball control and the fact that our QB with his weapons could drive down the field for 1 final drive to put us in FG range for Matt Bryant. But last year, with the injuries we had, the league's worst rushing attack, and our OL, that strategy was a terrible one. That's why I'm so down on Mike Smith after last year. Good coaches adjust. That was Reeves problem too. He had 1 way of winning and if he couldn't win that way, he lost.

Remember how the stigma on Chris Chandler for 4 years was that if he was forced to throw the ball more than 25 times, the Falcons would lose. And then in 2001, in Lambeau he had the monster game where he threw the ball 50 times and the Falcons won? It was like, "Wait, we could've been doing this the whole time?" We didn't have to watch Ken Oxendine, Byron Hanspard and Maurice Smith run for 2 yards every snap?

The equivalent of that was the Week 13 game vs. the Bills. The Falcons dialed things up and played their best football. I had been saying for weeks that what they needed to do, but the team should've been like, "this is how we're going to play every week." But instead they went back to being conservative because Matt got roughed up a little in the game or whatever silly justification they had and it was right back to Mo Smith, 2 yards and a cloud of dust. :roll:

Fun gus calls it the Giants Fiasco, but that was the 2013 season just spread out over 16 games. The Falcons had a flawed Plan A and lacked a Plan B. And when the opposing team(s) counted their Plan A they were s*** out of luck. 2 years ago, it might have just been a 1-time thing. But we clearly saw that in 2013 it was a 12-time thing!

It's why I'm "meh" on Smith at this point. He's a good coach, but he's clearly not THE guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

My prediction is based on the assumption of all important cogs remaining somewhat healthy for the season.

9-7

I think we will be in the wild card mix and possibly in the division title hunt. It's a two team race between the Falcons and the Saints. Sooner or later the Saints just have to underwhelm.....don't they????

The running game needs to flourish no matter who is toting the rock and the defense needs to improve on a weekly basis throughout the season. If this happens, the playoffs are possible.

Be gentle ya'll when you comment and crush my preseason dreams. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:02 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I am going with 9-7. That goes without saying if there are no significant injuries.

I am not as down on Smith as Pudge. I think the wheels came off last year and he found himself in a situation in which he wasn't sure what to do. Instead of going the Picard route and trying new things, he stayed with what he knew. Hopefully, he will have a better plan if this happens again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:00 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Sure good coaches adjust if they have some players to adjust !!
Quote:
I am going with 9-7. That goes without saying if there are no significant injuries.

Their will always be significant injuries when your team is weak. Its just happens when your players are lower quality!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:10 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote: Without going down the 2013 rabbit hole too much again, you've danced around my issue with the Falcons game planning.

Pudge when you don't have any players; you tell me the game plan that will work?? Ryan didn't have time too pass, our defense sucked......

Ryan was the only person you could game plan around, and he didn't
have anyone to run it or pass it. Why don't you tell me why you thought
we'd have 10 wins.....?????????????????

Yep blame the coaches when we had absolutely no players, Ryan was sacked more than ever before and that's after throwing many balls in the stands!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

hmmmmm my predictions looking better already!!!!!!!!!!!