It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I get Oakland, Buffalo,Cleveland and Jags..But Packers?!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:37 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Poll: Raiders least desirable team
Updated: August 25, 2014, 3:56 PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPN.com

NFL Nation Confidential: Play Where?

It pays to be a member of the Oakland Raiders -- but only if the pay is extraordinary.

The Raiders are the least desirable team to play for in the NFL, according to an NFL Nation Confidential survey posed to 100-plus players on the following question:

"The only way I'd play for [team name] is if they doubled my salary."

Of the 82 players who answered, 23 percent named the Raiders, followed by the Buffalo Bills (19 percent), Cleveland Browns (16 percent), Jacksonville Jaguars (9 percent) and Green Bay Packers (6 percent). These are tough times for the Raiders, who have endured 11 consecutive nonwinning seasons and last reached the postseason in 2002 -- the season the Tampa Bay Buccaneers routed them in the Super Bowl.

Since then, the organization has become known for its instability. Dennis Allen is the team's sixth different head coach since 2004. Questions about the franchise's future in Oakland also have fueled a cloud of uncertainty.

Nevertheless, Raiders defensive back Charles Woodson was stunned when informed of the results of the leaguewide survey.

"I've never heard anybody that said they didn't want to play for the Raiders, so that's pretty shocking," he said. "I think you've got to take the attitude that if you didn't want to come here, it doesn't matter anyway. Over the years, I've known and talked to countless players that said, 'Man, I would love to come play in the silver and black.' So I think that poll might be kind of skewed."

Teammate Marcel Reece said he wasn't shocked with the results because it was an anonymous poll. He lashed out at those who picked the Raiders, saying, "Whoever said it, they're telling a lie. They didn't think about it. They thought about the one team that has the biggest stigma of negativity around them. From the media. From the masses.

"The most hated team in the world? The first thing that comes to mind is the Oakland Raiders. The bad boys. The black sheep of the NFL. And it's not really a negative thing because we don't do bad things. We're not the team that's having the most arrests in the NFL, or the DUIs or the drug cases or throwing the big parties. But we just have that stigma around us.

"If guys really would be honest with themselves, and think about when they were little kids, or when they wanted to be tough guys, or they wanted to play football, what team did they think about? Or what helmet did they want to put on? What colors did they want to put on? What shield did they want to represent? I can guarantee you that 80 to 90 percent of true lovers of this game -- lovers of competition and have passion for this game -- would say the Oakland Raiders.

"I would play for this team if they paid me half of what they pay me, and I have taken pay cuts to stay. I guarantee you, if half those guys would have the opportunity to come play for this franchise, they'd be on board. They'd get it."

Wide receiver Jacoby Ford, who played with the Raiders from 2010 to 2013, agreed with Reese's strong opinion, saying outsiders are buying into the perception, not the reality.

"I think people have a certain persona of the Raiders," Ford said. "When you've actually been in that organization, you know how it is. That statement isn't true. I've been in that organization. Anyone who came to the Raiders, it was always, 'I always wanted to be a Raider.' They love the silver and black."

Evidently there's not as much love as they believe. One opposing player, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the survey was dead-on. Alluding to the Raiders' reputation for overpaying aging veterans, the player said of the survey result: "It's true. They've got a bunch of players who got double their salary."

Post subject: Re: I get Oakland, Buffalo,Cleveland and Jags..But Packers?!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:53 pm 

Just because a team has a history of winning doesn't make it a desirable destination. I'd guess Green Bay being a relatively small hurp-a-derp town compared to other NFL destinations and the fact that it's miserably cold and you play outside help make it one of the lesser desired destinations.

Sure, it's cold as hell in places like Chicago and New York but at least those are massive cities with a nightlife and lots for a 20-something to get in trouble. The closest major city to Green Bay is what, Milwaukee? Even that is a 2 hour drive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:04 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't know the exact numbers, but I know a few years ago, it was something like 50% of NFL players came from the following states:

California
Texas
Florida
Georgia
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama

Places known for the warmer climates in the US. And let's be real here, most of the guys coming from those states are African Americans. And Wisconsin is a state that is literally 97% White once you leave the city limits of Milwaukee. And it experiences the coldest winter of any NFL city besides Minneapolis. But at least until this year, if you played for the Vikings you played indoors. And thus I can understand why playing in Green Bay isn't very appealing to a large number of NFL players.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:03 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Bingo, Pudge. You racist! :lol:

The small town is also a factor. Gee, wouldn't you all rather live in a train wreck of a town like ATL? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:58 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge nailed it. I remember Sterling Sharpe saying he thought he was perceived differently for being black. Whether it was real or imagined is inconsequental, if you believe it to be true.

The interesting thing is Andrew Brandt thought the same thing about small town GB when they offered him a job. After being there awhile, he grew to enjoy it. Brandt also mentioned that Charles Woodson had the same concerns upon his FA visit. His fears evaporated quickly.

As for what to do, IIRC the rumor was that a lot of players went down to Milwaukee to party. Favre and Chewey supposedly banging chicks left and right in Milwaukee.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:37 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I have been to GB several times via flying into Milwaukee. As a Southern guy Wisconsin and that area in general strike me as remarkably Caucasian. It really kind of jumps out at you. As is the case in dealing with most groups of people once you get over your own hang ups you realize we are all way more similar than not. But 22 year olds are kind of interested primarily making the beast with two backs and the shortest route to that is seen as a good place or thing. GB not that. You look at a guy like Favre and wonder if being somewhat "sequestered" in a place like GB is what allowed him to succeed. He partied his way out of ATL.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:13 pm 

Yeah, I wasn't commenting on whether the perception of Green Bay meets the reality. I'm sure it's a fine town, and I'm sure many players once they get there realize their prejudice towards it is unfounded. But no doubt that perception is out there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:13 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I hear ya, P. Hey, I'm pretty prejudiced myself. I don't like cities except to visit. A few years back Birdbrain sent me an old article from the 60s, I think, that called Auburn the GB of college football so, to me, GB feels very familiar. A small town that worships the team with the stadium rising up in the middle of it all like a shrine. When I was up there one time the Brewers happened to be in the playoffs so I went. I know that as a general rule baseball is not esp popular with AA but, jeez, there was hardly anything but white folks there. I don't generally put a whole lot of thought to that kind of stuff but I imagine in could be argued that ATL has the blackest fan base out there. Matt Ryan was afraid to come here. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:20 pm 

backnblack wrote:
I don't generally put a whole lot of thought to that kind of stuff but I imagine in could be argued that ATL has the blackest fan base out there. Matt Ryan was afraid to come here. :lol:

Probably true. :lol:

Now let's figure out who has the brownest fan base!

Texans, Cardinals, 49ers, Chargers, or Raiders? 8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:04 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cowboys?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:58 pm 

I said brownest bnb, not douchiest. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:04 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

At one point in history the Boys were the everythingest sort of like the Yankees. Their base had representatives of about every subset you could imagine just by their sheer popularity. Probably still the most universally popular globally, wouldn't you think? Chargers, Texans...do they really have a fan base? Do we? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:22 pm 

I know Cowboys and Steelers are most widespread. Everywhere I've been on this Earth, always ran into one of them. They do the polls yearly, and they don't ever wind up being #1 and #2, but I'd say they are the two most popular national teams since they're fans are least regional.

Profile E-mail