It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how accurate is Matt Ryan?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:36 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fanc ... feafdd1394

Post subject: Re: how accurate is Matt Ryan?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:09 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Though I'm certain that someone will come forward and explain how PFF's dumb stats mean nothing, I have little doubt that this metric is accurate. For the lack of respect that Matt gets, he has been getting better and better over time. It's a shame that he's stuck with this front office during his best years.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Had a look at the comments for this article:

SpeakEasy365
8/18/2014 7:00 PM EDT
Quote:
The problem with sports statistics is they usually ignore WHEN the statistics are accumulated. Garbage time stats in football mean nothing. Robert Griffin had 16 touchdown passes last year - but most came when his team was losing by large margins on their way to being 3-10 with him as quarterback.

Matt Ryan will never be an elite quarterback, as when the game is on the line he invariably chooses to simply dump the ball off - a pass completion for positive yards according to the stats, but in real terms it is a meaningless play that burns a down and runs the clock, with no appreciable gain. Elite quarterbacks don't do that.

Stephen Wong
8/19/2014 1:34 PM EDT
Quote:
That's an excellent point SpeakEasy, I can tell you follow football very closely. Just so you know, since taking the reins as Atlanta’s signal-caller, Ryan has led the Falcons on 23 game-winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime, the most in the NFL since 2008. But don't let those stubborn facts get in the way of your opinions.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:11 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It's easy to be accurate, when you never throw more than 12 yards downfield.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'll spice up the remarks made by Pudge. Ryan is as good as any throwing 15 yard passes, and someday we'll turn more of those into big gainers.
Not everyone can do that and a QB better be special at something!!

Past 20 yards he's just below average; he can't help it his arm is not strong enough to be better.Roddy can sometimes go up and get 35 yard jump balls, Ryan's in the wrong offense for his ability.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
I'll spice up the remarks made by Pudge. Ryan is as good as any throwing 15 yard passes, and someday we'll turn more of those into big gainers.
Not everyone can do that and a QB better be special at something!!

Past 20 yards he's just below average; he can't help it his arm is not strong enough to be better. Roddy can sometimes go up and get 35 yard jump balls, Ryan's in the wrong offense for his ability.

On Saturday, he didn't seem to have any trouble overthrowing Jones on the deep stuff. Seems to me that he's back to, "long is never wrong." Hopefully they will continue to have him air it out so that he can get back to giving his receivers a chance to make a play on the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:57 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

12 yards is Matt Schaub. Ryan does throw deep and certainly has a stronger arm than Brady does. Then again, 12 yards is a first down so I'd take that too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:29 am 

Capologist wrote:
Then again, 12 yards is a first down so I'd take that too!

And so will most defenses because they know things are going to grind to a halt in the red zone.

This team overly relies on being safe and staying on schedule, which is hard to fault them for because it's sound philosophically. But the problem is that when they get into difficult situations and have to respond to adversity, their style of play does a very poor job of elevating them :beef:

This is simply revealed by looking at Matt Ryan's success on 3rd and 10 or more.

Over the past 3 years, the average NFL quarterback completes 58.1% of his passes and has a 76.9 passer rating in those situations. Matt Ryan in that same span, completes 57.7% of his passes and has a 65.4 passer rating.

The average QB is able to convert 3rd & 10 or longer on 24.1% of their pass attempts. Ryan has converted that 23.7%.

When this offense's back is against the wall, Matt Ryan is a slightly below average QB. I can't blame Ryan fully for that. Brees was pretty average in those situations when he was with the Chargers, and now he's one of the best in the league in those situations under Payton. Ryan needs his Payton. Mike Smith is not it. There will always be a firm glass ceiling on how good this offense can be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:15 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The average QB is able to convert 3rd & 10 or longer on 24.1% of their pass attempts. Ryan has converted that 23.7%.

Being "below average" by a meager .4% with a terrible offensive line is actually impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:21 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
On Saturday, he didn't seem to have any trouble overthrowing Jones on the deep stuff. Seems to me that he's back to, "long is never wrong." Hopefully they will continue to have him air it out so that he can get back to giving his receivers a chance to make a play on the ball.

What I'm saying is his arm is not strong enough.......Now that doesn't mean he can't use all his strength, but that's why his accuracy long is not
great, but his accuracy on 10 yarders is very good, and remember a ten yard pass is really 17 yards with the drop back.

All you need to do is throw a football and go longer & longer, the longer ones are usually not accurate. It doesn't bother the guys with stronger arms!!

Its hard to believe but some guys can throw long better than short?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
Quote:

What I'm saying is his arm is not strong enough.......Now that doesn't mean he can't use all his strength, but that's why his accuracy long is not
great, but his accuracy on 10 yarders is very good, and remember a ten yard pass is really 17 yards with the drop back.

All you need to do is throw a football and go longer & longer, the longer ones are usually not accurate. It doesn't bother the guys with stronger arms!!

Its hard to believe but some guys can throw long better than short?

I never said that he wasn't better in the short game, he obviously is. But I think that his deep game issues stem more from this coaching staff than from Ryan's physical limitations at this point. Mike Smith preaches conservatism. "Long is never wrong," is part of that philosophy. It needs to be beaten out of Matt, but as long as Smith has been here, that's how Matt has been molded. We pretty much gave up on the deep ball entirely last year. That's on the coaching staff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Ryan can check out of any play he wants. I don't think you can blame the coaches. Look Ryan is a good Qb, his deep passes are just not his strength. I've always said he was a good Qb, and most independent folks
think he's good too. If his deep ball was good he'd be great!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The routes simply weren't there last year Cyril. Once Julio went down, and the offensive line went to crap, this team gave up on the deep ball. I think the logic here is that as long as Julio is in the lineup, it's hard to justify giving up the farm for him if we don't throw deep a few times a game. With Julio not in the lineup, the staff doesn't have to worry about doing that.

We will continue arguing about this until Ryan is teamed up with a different coaching staff. I will continue to argue that with the right Coach, Ryan would throw deep just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:07 pm 

Ryan is a competent deep ball passer. But he's not good at it, and never will be.

"The long is never wrong" philosophy that Ryan adheres to predates Smith. That was something he picked up at Boston College.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:05 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Ryan is a competent deep ball passer. But he's not good at it, and never will be.

"The long is never wrong" philosophy that Ryan adheres to predates Smith. That was something he picked up at Boston College.

I do not believe that is correct.

citation? :whistle:

when Ryan was in his second year here, and the chorus of 'he don't got no cannon' was the theme, I decided to use the interwebs to challenge that statement.

What I found was during his tenure at B.C., he had two coaches. Tom O’Brien, his first coach: Smitty Jr. Very committed to a 'run first, conservative' offense. Then, in comes Jeff Jagodzinski from the Packers, totally opens up the playbook, and reverses the philosophy with 5 receiver sets and plenty of 'long ball' plays. It was at this point that Ryan really thrived, and he was considered a 'deep threat' and a 'gunslinger'.

Ryan has and has had the ability to go long, but like in his college days, he is mimicking his coaches philosophy. If he had been coached by Peyton, the Ryan we see today would look a lot different.

:snooty:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:00 pm 

I can't cite it specifically, but I do recall an interview that Ryan had at some point in his second year where a reporter asked him about his accuracy or decision making, or something along those lines, and he responded to something like:

"I was always taught that long was never wrong."

Implying that it was something that he learned much earlier than his arrival in Atlanta.

As for Jagodzinski, you do realize he was with the Jim Mora Atlanta Falcons longer than he was with the Packers? He was the Packers offensive coordinator in 2006, but he didn't call plays (and never has), so you shouldn't suggest that his offense and that run by Mike McCarthy are one in the same. Jagz OC at BC in '07, Steve Logan, was certainly known for his high-flying offense in his days as ECU's head coach, but don't dismiss the 3 years that Ryan learned under Dana Bible as inconsequential. Bible helped develop both Russell Wilson & Mike Glennon at NC State following his days at NC State. Logan's most successful QB at ECU was David Garrard. What I'm implying is that Bible's teaching for 3 years likely had a far greater impact on Ryan than anything Logan taught him during his senior year because Bible is much more akin to a "QB guru" than either Logan or Jagodzinski.

And I wouldn't term BC's playbook under Jagz to be that open. Yes, they used a lot of 3-WR sets, but Ryan's 2 favorite targets that year were his RB (Andre Callender) and his TE (Ryan Purvis). Most of his WRs were all small, quicker than fast WRs, not exactly known for their vertical capabilities. Even then, Ryan relied heavily on the dink/dunk passes.

Ryan has never been a "gunslinger." He only earned that moniker because people that didn't watch him at BC, and saw that he threw 19 interceptions that year, and figured that was a large amount, and thus terming him a risk-taker. Now, some of those INTs were the result of Ryan trying to fit the ball into a WR, but the reality is that Ryan threw 19 INTs that year because he threw the ball 654 times to a bunch of s***ty WRs, which even in this day and age of spread offenses is a helluva lot of pass attempts. Since 2007, only 3 college QBs have attempted more passes than that in a single year. Do you really think most of those passes were long balls? No.

And Ryan's arm strength has always been a question mark, that should be without dispute. It's the #1 reason why the consensus on him as a prospect 6 years ago was so split. Guys that liked him thought he had "enough" arm and loved his intangibles. Guys that didn't, thought intangibles were overrated and having a so-called "franchise-caliber" arm was more important. It's why Bill Parcells passed on him and took Jake Long instead. And not surprisingly, they took Chad Henne in Round 2, who had one of the strongest arms of any QB in that class.

Now, arm strength isn't the biggest determining factor in going deep. It's been an argument discussed ad nauseum on this board, and I'm sure most are now aware that the deep ball is more about touch and timing than it is just throwing it as far and as hard as possible. So arm strength isn't that important when you have a streaking receiver running a go route.

Where Ryan's arm strength however does matter is when it comes to pulling the trigger on throws in the intermediate and longer range (say 15-25 yards) that just aren't floating a ball out there in front of a wide open WR, but require you to fit it into a tight window with safeties and linebackers closing quickly. This is where Ryan has a tendency to struggle with the most because he can be often hesitant when it comes to making those tight window throws downfield because Ryan knows better than anyone which throws his arm can and cannot make. Now he's much more willing when he trusts his receiver, so you'll see him make these throws to guys like Julio, Tony, and Roddy, but not so much to Harry Douglas (which is reason No. 941 why HD is a bad fit for our QB and offense) or anybody else. But generally speaking, particularly when it's early in a game or early on a drive, Ryan will not pull the trigger on these throws and proceed to check it down in order to "live to play another down."

It's a smart move, but when the competition tends to get fiercer come January, being safer more often leads to being sorrier. Because when you play top-notch defenses (which you often will in January), they can put the clamps on the safe, easy throws at some point and it leads to drives often stalling in the red zone. I could continue for another 5000 words, but it's nothing I haven't already said before, so I'll leave it at that.

In the end, I'll say Ryan is a more than capable QB. When watching the All-22, you are afforded the ability to see the times when those windows open and shut quickly, and see Ryan avoid the drive-killing INT. It's the smart play, but sometimes you need your QB to be a little less cerebral, and a it more testicular. Ryan has not shown that tendency yet, and probably never will. After Ryan's infamous slide last year vs. the Saints, I agreed with Jamie Dukes in his comments that Ryan was "too cerebral" which isn't a bad thing, but just who he is.

But the current coaching staff certainly doesn't help matters with their over-emphasis on avoiding turnovers and playing things as safe as possible.

I agree with RobertAP to a certain extent, this current coaching staff won't ever change. They haven't in 6 years. Now, I do think with a different coaching staff, OC, and offensive philosophy, Ryan would adapt, but I do think that regardless of the scheme, Ryan will always be a somewhat underwhelming vertical passer. There are simply throws that he is incapable of making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-3lIHIyXLs

The goal of any new coaching staff will be to minimize how underwhelming he is, making him slightly underwhelming as opposed to very underwhelming.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Get the ball in the hands of your playmakers and let them make plays.

Mike Smith has always been about ball control. When he first came it was about the run. Now it's short timing patterns. Control the clock. Limit turn overs and penalties. Keep your suspect defense off the field as much as possible.

It's been his MO. It isn't going to change, especially now with him on the hot seat. Don't see what the great debate is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:51 pm 

Your point, AJ51, is probably a different "debate."

Mike Smith's conservative philosophy is all well and good, but probably not conducive to being successful unless you have a dominant offensive line that can impose its will on its opponent to facilitate that ball control. It's alot easier to execute that style of offense when you have a dominant run game, not a short passing game. And also having a top-notch defense would help facilitate that. The point of offense is to score points, not mask the fact that your defense blows.

And if that is indeed Smith's philosophy, then this team has been poorly constructed over the years to fit that philosophy. For example, their investments in offensive linemen that really don't fit that style (Sam Baker, Justin Blalock, Jon Asamoah, Jake Matthews, all known to be better pass protectors than run blockers) and not investing highly in their defensive line, etc. But that's another can of worms that I'm sure we can start another long thread about. :wink:

As for the "debate" that is in this thread...

People can point to Matt Ryan's high "accuracy rate" as a sign of his greatness, but it's misleading statistics. When you NEVER throw downfield, it's a lot easier to complete a high percentage of passes and to be accurate on what in the NFL are routine throws that even the worst starting QB should be able to make. The fact that Ryan may be especially good at them than most is not much of an accomplishment. It's like being the World's Greatest Infant Candy Thief!

The knock on Ryan, at least last season, is that he was nothing more than Alex Smith, and that's the version of Alex Smith that was labeled in San Francisco as just a "game manager" that just relied on the 49ers dominant running game and defense, and rarely ever had to do much to help them win (their playoff victory over the Saints being an obvious exception). And that works in San Fran because they have those dominant components. The Falcons do not, and thus good coaches adapt to what they have, as opposed to trying to fit square pegs into round holes. And while that Alex Smith won a lot of games, the 49ers knew that they would never be a Super Bowl team until they added a new element to their offense, which came in the form of the cannon that was Colin Kaepernick's arm that completed a ridiculous 60% of his 20+ yard throws.

Now, is that me saying the Falcons will have to do the same and find their own version of Kaepernick? No. But it's a similar situation where the Falcons ceiling is a lot lower if this is all Ryan is ever going to be. And thus the Falcons must concentrate much harder on strengthening other elements of their team to compensate.

But if people are trying to pimp some stats from last year as a sign of Ryan's greatness, special quality, being elite or whatever, then they are barking up the wrong tree. As someone that watches the All-22, trust me, the stats do not match the reality. Ryan is a perfectly fine QB, but he's not elite and never will be and the #1 reason for that is his unwillingness to take a chance downfield unless he's throwing to a Top 10 WR.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:44 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
As someone that watches the All-22, trust me, the stats do not match the reality. .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
But it's a similar situation where the Falcons ceiling is a lot lower if this is all Ryan is ever going to be. And thus the Falcons must concentrate much harder on strengthening other elements of their team to compensate.

I think the above is very accurate, and what has pissed me off all these years. I accept Ryan's liabilities, but they should have been working on upgrading their line the years after Ryan got here. When you wait 6 years to upgrade then you'll need about 3 upgrades on the O- line!!

Ryan has never had a chance to be all he could be. Ryan is good enough to take a chance that he could be much better, but the Falcons haven't had a good line for years. This years line will be a little better but that's not saying much!!

Ryan can't be more without better protection!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:30 pm 

Cyril wrote:
I think the above is very accurate, and what has pissed me off all these years. I accept Ryan's liabilities, but they should have been working on upgrading their line the years after Ryan got here. When you wait 6 years to upgrade then you'll need about 3 upgrades on the O- line!!

And you've just pointed out the reason why the Julio Jones trade wasn't a great move. That's not me saying it was a bad one either, just pointing out there was a benefit (getting a player like Jones) and a cost (not bolstering other spots).

The Falcons should have used their #1 pick in 2011 on an OL by the name of Gabe Carimi. Then followed that up with another #1 pick on an OL in 2012 (either David DeCastro, Kevin Zeitler or Riley Reiff), instead of waiting until 2014 to make that move. The Falcons are making moves now (drafting Toilolo at TE in 2013 to replace Gonzo and RB Devonta Freeman to be #1 guy) that they should have made in 2011 and 2012 at the latest. And of course the problem is perhaps their moves (Toilolo & Freeman) specifically won't reap the benefits they should. Right now, Toilolo looks like an average No. 2 TE. And Freeman looks good, but his lack of size and homerun speed probably means he's a good complementary back, not a feature guy.

Obviously, if Konz and Holmes had been better, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation, and wasting a pick on Ewing was just plain dumb. Not saying you should dislike the Jones trade, but you gotta admit there was a clear downside to the move.

Hopefully the next coach & GM get it right in terms of building around Ryan. Otherwise, we'll have wasted 10+ years of the best QB to ever put on a Falcons uniform.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

We will continue arguing about this until Ryan is teamed up with a different coaching staff. I will continue to argue that with the right Coach, Ryan would throw deep just fine.

Robert I'm not knocking that Ryan is a good Qb. Its not the coach, Ryan has really played behind some very very bad O. lines.

Sure a couple of Qbs
may have played a little better than Ryan has, bit I've been amazed you pay what you pay for Ryan, then sit there year after year with some below average linemen just getting worse!!

Pudge, yes their was downside on the Jones trade!! At the time we still could have worked on the O-line and D-line!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:28 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
It's easy to be accurate, when you never throw more than 12 yards downfield.

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 55s
Matt Ryan was 5-for-6 for 138 yards on passes thrown at least 20 yards in the air.

Matt Ryan completed 9-of-11 passes thrown 15+ yards downfield for 224 yards Sunday.

The idea that Ryan 'cant' throw deep, and 'lacks arm strength' should now be forever dismissed with that display last sunday. I've maintained since he came here, he always had the tools to do it. He has been coached to play it safe. Matt Ryan can do it, with ease. He just has to be allowed to do it. Matt Ryan isn't the ones calling the plays. Or: selecting his OL or offensive protection schemes...

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coac ... 79dc6e4e89

does Matt Ryan even need a QB coach at this point? This guy is stealing $$$ :beef:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:46 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril is right also. OL play does have a lot to do with Ryan's success on Sunday. We finally have an OL that isn't garbage. If you give Ryan crappy talent to work with, he's a top 10 QB. If you give him competent talent, he's an MVP candidate. With a competent OL, and his receiving corps, so long as we don't get ultra-conservative, he's going to put up insane numbers.

What I am afraid of, is that unless we're down, we're going to play the ball control game as we have in the past. For whatever reason, people put that crap on Ryan. I put that crap on Smith.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

AngryJohnny51 SAID
Quote:
Get the ball in the hands of your playmakers and let them make plays.

Sometimes the easy answer is the best one.....

Sunday that's pretty much what we did.... I don't think anyone is knocking
Coach Smith until overtime. Ryan broke a franchise record for the 400 +
yards game passing and total yards record for single record of 500 + yards.

Ryan had better protection, more weapons, but I thought Ryan's leadership changed to where he wanted to win maybe more than anyone.

Since Joe Hawley was on the field his words speak much louder than mine!! Joe Said
Quote:
"I didn't know he was such an athlete, man," center Joe Hawley said of Ryan. "He did a great job. You can tell he did whatever it took to get the win. He was putting his body on the line. When you see that, it's contagious."

Regardless of the reason's Matt looked as good as any of the great one's Sunday!! I'm hoping this opens a new chapter of everything concerning our Offense!!