It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Owners likability rankings....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm gonna go out on limb and say that Cyril and Fungus were not part of those polled. :P

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... d_17025656

Post subject: Re: Owners likability rankings....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Nope I didn't get polled...... The reason they gave not to like Blank was

He signed off on a new stadium that looks like a modernized Death Star.

Here's my one of many reason's-----You don't have Mike Vick come to your home to play with your children, You don't take players to dinner!!

I understand all that sounds nice, but Arthur had no clue the guys not invited probably had some bad feelings. I could go on forever, but my level of disliking him has come down a little. Mainly because he's stayed out of the limelight a little less.

If you note the crap that's happened in the organization, and that he's been the owner (my guess) close to ten years, he's really not had much success with the Franchise. Most of his success has come under Mike Smith!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:04 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Falcons, 12 seasons under Arthur Blank:

104-87-1, career winning percentage of 54.4%

Only counting the 6 years pre-Mike Smith;

44-51-1, 46.4%

6-year run prior to Blank (mostly Reeves era):

40-56, 41.7%

Best 6-yr. run in team history:

1977-82

46-41, 52.9%

The difference between that '77-82 run and the '02-07 run equal about 6 wins, or 1 win per year. For someone that is always putting things in context historically Cyril, even in the "bad times" under Blank, it was still among the best times for this franchise. The fact that Blank has brought in Smith to take it to potentially another level, should earn a little bit more respect.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:48 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
I'm gonna go out on limb and say that Cyril and Fungus were not part of those polled. :P

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... d_17025656

for the record, I was 'team Blank' , even when I couldn't get my buddy handicapped tickets, but the stadium fiasco was the last straw. :whistle:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The moment I started to have negative opinions of Blank... The moment he wheeled Michael Vick onto the field. That showed me that he was an attention whore more than anything else. Having an NFL team has put him center stage, and that's exactly where he wants to be. He's constantly engaged with the media. The new stadium is just another example of attention whoring. To me, the new stadium looks like an eye sore. To Blank, it's a freaking spaceship in the middle of downtown Atlanta! "I am Arthur Blank, and I built a freaking spaceship in downtown Atlanta! I even managed to move some historic Churches!"

The above said, I can't say that I wouldn't do similar things if I had the money to do so. There's really no way to tell how money would change you if you had vaults full of it. I like to believe that I'd be more humble, but I haven't been close to being able to test that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:28 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
He's constantly engaged with the media.

In what alternate reality could the above statement not be considered a positive? Especially when you own a team in one of the nation's most infamously fickle sports markets?

Blank has made his fair share of mistakes and certainly has his share of flaws, but at least as far as NFL owners go, you sorta have to admit he's pretty good.

Judging owners by "regular folks" standards is pretty foolish if you ask me. Billionaires involved in a multi-billion dollar business. Yes, some of their decisions tread upon us smallfolk, but considering that has been occurring throughout human history since the dawn of civilization, on one hand you have to admit that if the worst offense the "nobility" is committing against you is hiking your ticket prices so you feel more compelled to stay home and watch the game on your 40-60" flat screen, I think we're doing pretty good for serfs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:53 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

" on one hand you have to admit that if the worst offense the "nobility" is committing against you is hiking your ticket prices so you feel more compelled to stay home and watch the game on your 40-60" flat screen, I think we're doing pretty good for serfs."

yeah, gonna have to disagree here. when a multimillionaire can 'force' a city to levy a tax ( any tax, just because it's a hotel tax does not make it any less a tax ) to build him a new stadium, and at the same time the city council and the mayor cut funding for my kids charter school,or cannot keep the roads paved, etc.. Im gonna call BS on that. And make no mistake, Blank had Kasim Reed by the short hairs.

then the added 'insult to injury' is not only did my neighborhood lose the Braves to Cobb County, but we can all look forward to PSL's and higher ticket prices at the new stadium, this 'serf' will definitely sit my fat a$$ at home, or if the game is blacked out, find something else to do with my time.

oh yeah, and buying out a legacy civil rights church as part and parcel of the whoring out that occurred to make this sham of a deal complete just puts the icing on the cake.

go f*ck yourself, Artie. :whistle:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:06 pm 

fun gus wrote:
then the added 'insult to injury' is not only did my neighborhood lose the Braves to Cobb County, but we can all look forward to PSL's and higher ticket prices at the new stadium, this 'serf' will definitely sit my fat a$$ at home, or if the game is blacked out, find something else to do with my time.

That's your prerogative and that's your choice. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably make the same choice.

But it's long been obvious when Blank bought the team in 2002 and they have been one of the lowest revenue-generating teams in the NFL (I believe consistently in the Bottom 5) that building a new stadium rather than the Georgia Dome was inevitable.

As for the city's decisions, isn't that on the city? If you're in Blank's shoes, and you can build a billion dollar stadium without having to spend a dime of your own money (and every bit you do spend you get to recoup in a profit on the back end via PSLs), why wouldn't you do that? Again, billionaires in a multi-billion dollar industry. It's an easy, no-brainer business decision.

Is that the way it should be? No. Should Blank have thought of the children first? Maybe. But is that his job? His "job" as an NFL owner is to put butts in the seats and a winning product on the field. Not seeing how Artie isn't performing up to task on his job. Obviously, he could do better, but it's not from a lack of effort.

For every person like yourself that says "No Mas", there's going to be somebody else that says, "¡Me gusta!" especially if the product on the field is up to par.

Sounds like based off your beefs fun gus, the real villain here is Mayor Reed and the City of Atlanta. Again, I get that Arthur Blank isn't atop your favorite persons list, but how mad can you get at him when Artie isn't being Mr. Altruism by turning down HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars?

Talk about the nature of the beast...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:28 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:

That's your prerogative and that's your choice. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably make the same choice.

But it's long been obvious when Blank bought the team in 2002 and they have been one of the lowest revenue-generating teams in the NFL (I believe consistently in the Bottom 5) that building a new stadium rather than the Georgia Dome was inevitable.

As for the city's decisions, isn't that on the city? If you're in Blank's shoes, and you can build a billion dollar stadium without having to spend a dime of your own money (and every bit you do spend you get to recoup in a profit on the back end via PSLs), why wouldn't you do that? Again, billionaires in a multi-billion dollar industry. It's an easy, no-brainer business decision.

Is that the way it should be? No. Should Blank have thought of the children first? Maybe. But is that his job? His "job" as an NFL owner is to put butts in the seats and a winning product on the field. Not seeing how Artie isn't performing up to task on his job. Obviously, he could do better, but it's not from a lack of effort.

For every person like yourself that says "No Mas", there's going to be somebody else that says, "¡Me gusta!" especially if the product on the field is up to par.

Sounds like based off your beefs fun gus, the real villain here is Mayor Reed and the City of Atlanta. Again, I get that Arthur Blank isn't atop your favorite persons list, but how mad can you get at him when Artie isn't being Mr. Altruism by turning down HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars?

Talk about the nature of the beast...

I'm pissed at the mayor,city and Blank. But let's not make 'excuses'. Blank threatened to move the team elsewhere. That is an undisputable fact. He looked at the old Pullman yards as well as the old GM plant in Doraville as possible stadium sites. He basically took Kasim Reed behind the barn and had his way with him. I have been a vocal supporter of Blank ( and his partner Marcus ) for years for his altruism here in the community. But this stinks.

I am a little mad we lost the Braves: but to be honest, not totally. I live next to Turner Field, and for more then a decade my neighborhood has done nothing to build up anything around it, or curtail the '30 deep' gang problem. That's on us.

But the Blank deal is worse. Because he is taking tax money, when he has the money himself, and then he lied about PSL's. The scorpion does not HAVE to sting the frog. :naughty:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 pm 

He didn't lie about PSLs, he just constantly dodged the question. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:35 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
He didn't lie about PSLs, he just constantly dodged the question. :wink:

it's called a 'lie by omission'. when asked point Blank :wink: 'will there be PSL's' he said 'that is something we are looking into, but I cannot confirm or deny it' but at the time EVERYONE knew that statement to be false.

but you are the best kind of correct, 'technically correct' 8-)