PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:10 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ng-injury/

Mike Smith: Steven Jackson “will be ready” for Week One after hamstring injury

Posted by Mike Wilkening on July 29, 2014, 7:44 PM EDT
Steven Jackson
AP
We may have to wait until the regular season to see whether Steven Jackson has returned to top form.

Jackson, the Falcons’ starting tailback, sustained a left hamstring injury on Monday, coach Mike Smith told reporters today.

The good news? Smith anticipates Jackson will be available for the September 7 regular season opener against New Orleans.

“I don’t think it’s going to be anything that’s going to be real significant. He will be ready for the first game,” Smith said.

Jackson dealt with hamstring and toe injuries and missed four games in 2013, his first season with Atlanta. However, Smith said Jackson injured the opposite hamstring on Monday.

The 31-year-old Jackson rushed for a career-low 543 yards on 157 carries last season, gaining just 3.5 yards per carry.

Fourth-year pro Jacquizz Rodgers and rookie Devonta Freeman are among the top reserve options behind Jackson, who’s entering his 11th NFL season.

Jackson probably didn’t figure to get too much work in the exhibition games; he had a combined 25 carries in three preseason games in 2013, and he didn’t play at all in the finale. The play of Rodgers and Freeman now becomes something to watch all the more closely during the summer. Freeman, a fourth-rounder from Florida State, is the key new addition to a running game that struggled a season ago.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Steven Jackson Out Til Week 1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

4 years in a row he's missed time with a soft tissue injury, his body is telling him something........

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If you can't run the ball, or at least have the threat of a run, you become one dimensional. Makes the defenses job much much easier when you know what's coming. :down:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:01 pm 

I'm thinking Atlanta breaks up the the carries with 60% going to Quizz/Freeman and 40% going to S-Jax.

I was hoping Jackson still had a couple years in the tank but it is quite clear that his career is at a close at this point and all the soft tissue issues as Dave pointed out.

It was worth the dice roll but clearly isn't panning out.

I would actually be interested in seeing Atlanta kick the tires on Michael Bush. Everyone has been high on Freeman and has drawn comparisons to Rice. Throw him in the deep end and find someone on the cheap to pound the short yards (Bush).

Not sure how much of S-Jax's contract is guaranteed this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm hoping that Freeman gets the starting role with Quizz spelling him. Save Jackson for short yardage situations.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:59 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
I'm hoping that Freeman gets the starting role with Quizz spelling him. Save Jackson for short yardage situations.

Completely agree. As much as I liked the Jackson signing it is clear that he is no longer a feature back. With all the hype around Freeman I say let the kid start and prove himself. If he works then great if he doesn't better to find out sooner rather than later.

If Atlanta needs to press S-Jax into a starting roll they can. But I'd rather him just get short yardage carries at this point.