It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: the slag heap....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:10 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5066
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/tight-end/

see anything on this list worth it?

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the slag heap....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4526
Location: Vancouver, WA
Did we ever kick Finley's tires? I'd still like a medical eval to see if he's worth at least a 1 year deal.

_________________
Fear the BEARD!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the slag heap....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:38 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3189
dirtybirdnw wrote:
Did we ever kick Finley's tires? I'd still like a medical eval to see if he's worth at least a 1 year deal.


I'm guessing that a guy with that much talent, who hasn't signed with anyone yet, has major, major red flags.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the slag heap....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:49 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5066
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
dirtybirdnw wrote:
Did we ever kick Finley's tires? I'd still like a medical eval to see if he's worth at least a 1 year deal.


I'm guessing that a guy with that much talent, who hasn't signed with anyone yet, has major, major red flags.



looks like he will end up signed by Pittsburg. They already offered him a deal a couple days ago.

But, we got Bear Pascoe! Superbowl! :dance:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the slag heap....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:29 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1167
Location: San Diego, CA
I cannot understand why we don't swing a trade for Rob Housler from Arizona. For the following reasons:
1. He has been buried on the depth chart.
2. He doesnt fit Arians system
3. He wouldnt take more than a low round pick to acquire.

He has a very interesting combination of physical tools comparable to Jordan Cameron (6'5 250 lbs and 4.50 forty) he has just yet to put it all together. I am sure working with a QB like Matt Ryan would help. I know that there is a chance he could get cut in Arizona but why wait ? Get him into camp and let him and Matt build some chemistry with him.

_________________
The Young Gunner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the slag heap....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:05 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3189
fun gus wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
dirtybirdnw wrote:
Did we ever kick Finley's tires? I'd still like a medical eval to see if he's worth at least a 1 year deal.


I'm guessing that a guy with that much talent, who hasn't signed with anyone yet, has major, major red flags.



looks like he will end up signed by Pittsburg. They already offered him a deal a couple days ago.

But, we got Bear Pascoe! Superbowl! :dance:


Pascoe does have a Super Bowl ring though. :angel:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the slag heap....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:02 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26068
Location: North Carolina
Housler can't catch, that's the biggest reason why he's struggled in Arizona. He struggles to extend away from his body, which is a critical skill for a TE since they rarely are able to create the sort of separation where they can let passes get into their body.

Remember 2010 when Roddy was leading the league in drops? He had like 15 that year on 115 catchable passes (according to Pro Football Focus). That's a drop rate of 13.04%.

Housler for his career, has dropped 14 on 105 catchable passes, a drop rate of 13.3%.

So take Roddy's worst season as far as his hands go, and that's Housler's average season.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: the slag heap....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:36 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1167
Location: San Diego, CA
Pudge wrote:
Housler can't catch, that's the biggest reason why he's struggled in Arizona. He struggles to extend away from his body, which is a critical skill for a TE since they rarely are able to create the sort of separation where they can let passes get into their body.

Remember 2010 when Roddy was leading the league in drops? He had like 15 that year on 115 catchable passes (according to Pro Football Focus). That's a drop rate of 13.04%.

Housler for his career, has dropped 14 on 105 catchable passes, a drop rate of 13.3%.

So take Roddy's worst season as far as his hands go, and that's Housler's average season.


Do you think its a concentration issue or he suffers from Harry Douglass-itis which prevents him from catching passes in traffic. Even if he struggles in that area, he could still be a capable target in the seam off size and speed alone.

_________________
The Young Gunner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the slag heap....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:20 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26068
Location: North Carolina
I just think Housler is a big guy that plays small. It could be fixed if given a couple of years to build a rapport with a QB if both parties put in the effort, but it's certainly not going to happen over night.

I agree, he offers intriguing upside playing the H or F tight end position and being used as a seam stretcher. THe problem is that the Falcons have not traditionally used their tight ends in that way, at least how Bruce Arians uses the H in his offense, and have all but eliminated the F spot with Gonzalez being gone. He's simply not a reliable receiver option, although he flashes play-amking ability from time to time. A good comparison is Tony Scheffler, who also flashed upside when he was in Denver, but never developed into a consistent threat in Detroit to supplant Brandon Pettigrew as the starter.

Would he be wroth picking up this year? Sure, but only if the Falcons are going to adapt their offense to feature them. Which is the story of pretty every player they could possibly pick up or already have (*cough*Jon ASamoah*cough*). Their vanilla dink and dunk style doesn't really bring out the best in any player.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ShooterMcGavin and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: