Post subject: the slag heap....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:10 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/tight-end/

see anything on this list worth it?

Post subject: Re: the slag heap....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 pm 

Did we ever kick Finley's tires? I'd still like a medical eval to see if he's worth at least a 1 year deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:38 am 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Did we ever kick Finley's tires? I'd still like a medical eval to see if he's worth at least a 1 year deal.

I'm guessing that a guy with that much talent, who hasn't signed with anyone yet, has major, major red flags.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:49 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
dirtybirdnw wrote:

I'm guessing that a guy with that much talent, who hasn't signed with anyone yet, has major, major red flags.

looks like he will end up signed by Pittsburg. They already offered him a deal a couple days ago.

But, we got Bear Pascoe! Superbowl! :dance:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I cannot understand why we don't swing a trade for Rob Housler from Arizona. For the following reasons:
1. He has been buried on the depth chart.
2. He doesnt fit Arians system
3. He wouldnt take more than a low round pick to acquire.

He has a very interesting combination of physical tools comparable to Jordan Cameron (6'5 250 lbs and 4.50 forty) he has just yet to put it all together. I am sure working with a QB like Matt Ryan would help. I know that there is a chance he could get cut in Arizona but why wait ? Get him into camp and let him and Matt build some chemistry with him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:05 am 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
dirtybirdnw wrote:

looks like he will end up signed by Pittsburg. They already offered him a deal a couple days ago.

But, we got Bear Pascoe! Superbowl! :dance:

Pascoe does have a Super Bowl ring though. :angel:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:02 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Housler can't catch, that's the biggest reason why he's struggled in Arizona. He struggles to extend away from his body, which is a critical skill for a TE since they rarely are able to create the sort of separation where they can let passes get into their body.

Remember 2010 when Roddy was leading the league in drops? He had like 15 that year on 115 catchable passes (according to Pro Football Focus). That's a drop rate of 13.04%.

Housler for his career, has dropped 14 on 105 catchable passes, a drop rate of 13.3%.

So take Roddy's worst season as far as his hands go, and that's Housler's average season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Housler can't catch, that's the biggest reason why he's struggled in Arizona. He struggles to extend away from his body, which is a critical skill for a TE since they rarely are able to create the sort of separation where they can let passes get into their body.

Remember 2010 when Roddy was leading the league in drops? He had like 15 that year on 115 catchable passes (according to Pro Football Focus). That's a drop rate of 13.04%.

Housler for his career, has dropped 14 on 105 catchable passes, a drop rate of 13.3%.

So take Roddy's worst season as far as his hands go, and that's Housler's average season.

Do you think its a concentration issue or he suffers from Harry Douglass-itis which prevents him from catching passes in traffic. Even if he struggles in that area, he could still be a capable target in the seam off size and speed alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:20 pm 

I just think Housler is a big guy that plays small. It could be fixed if given a couple of years to build a rapport with a QB if both parties put in the effort, but it's certainly not going to happen over night.

I agree, he offers intriguing upside playing the H or F tight end position and being used as a seam stretcher. THe problem is that the Falcons have not traditionally used their tight ends in that way, at least how Bruce Arians uses the H in his offense, and have all but eliminated the F spot with Gonzalez being gone. He's simply not a reliable receiver option, although he flashes play-amking ability from time to time. A good comparison is Tony Scheffler, who also flashed upside when he was in Denver, but never developed into a consistent threat in Detroit to supplant Brandon Pettigrew as the starter.

Would he be wroth picking up this year? Sure, but only if the Falcons are going to adapt their offense to feature them. Which is the story of pretty every player they could possibly pick up or already have (*cough*Jon ASamoah*cough*). Their vanilla dink and dunk style doesn't really bring out the best in any player.

Profile E-mail